Questions re: traffic in Manhattan on a weekday etc...

BlueJai

I have read all the threads and I have learned so much great information. I have a couple of questions. We are flying into JFK in October a day prior to the cruise leaving Manhanttan cruise Terminal. I have read about lots of great hotels in Manhattan. Because we are flying in on a weekday, I assume the traffic is pretty crazy. After reading all the threads, I think I would book a car service from JFK to Manhattan.

I haven't booked a hotel yet - it is just a little overwhelming but I am thinking something close to Time Square and the cruise terminal would work best. We would spend the afternoon/evening walking around and seeing the sites so any hotel suggestions would be great. We are Hilton Honors members so I was also considering the Doubletree in the Financial district - would that be too far away for the commute in the morning?

I don't want to get caught up in crazy traffic on a week day morning trying to get to the terminal - and that leads to my question - Is it difficult to get a cab from the hotel to the port in the morning? I just envision wall to wall traffic - have I watched too much TV??

I also wondered whether to just stay by the airport and get a car service for the morning to take us to the pier. Would that be a crazy idea? I hate this idea because I have never been to NY before and would at least like to see some of it - but I hadn't counted on at least 400.00 a night before any other expenses.

Thanks for any input.

Jai

NYC resident here. Staying in the Financial District would make perfect sense. Easy subway access for your sightseeing and the morning taxi trip is an easy ride up the West Side Highway. You've planned well.

Other hotel options to consider are the many nice boutique hotels on the Upper West Side such as the Empire, BelleClaire, NYLO, and the Lucerne. All in great locations with easy access to midtown, and all within a 5-10 minute taxi trip to the cruise terminal in rush hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have read all the threads and I have learned so much great information. I have a couple of questions. We are flying into JFK in October a day prior to the cruise leaving Manhanttan cruise Terminal. I have read about lots of great hotels in Manhattan. Because we are flying in on a weekday, I assume the traffic is pretty crazy. After reading all the threads, I think I would book a car service from JFK to Manhattan.

I haven't booked a hotel yet - it is just a little overwhelming but I am thinking something close to Time Square and the cruise terminal would work best. We would spend the afternoon/evening walking around and seeing the sites so any hotel suggestions would be great. We are Hilton Honors members so I was also considering the Doubletree in the Financial district - would that be too far away for the commute in the morning?

I don't want to get caught up in crazy traffic on a week day morning trying to get to the terminal - and that leads to my question - Is it difficult to get a cab from the hotel to the port in the morning? I just envision wall to wall traffic - have I watched too much TV??

I also wondered whether to just stay by the airport and get a car service for the morning to take us to the pier. Would that be a crazy idea? I hate this idea because I have never been to NY before and would at least like to see some of it - but I hadn't counted on at least 400.00 a night before any other expenses.

Thanks for any input.

Jai

What exact date do you fly in? What airline? What time does your flight arrive? How much is the hotel you are looking at in the Wall St area? These details will help folks to give advice.

You should not stay at a hotel at JFK if any kind of reasonable Manhattan option is available to you.

Double Tree Financial District I've actually stayed in last October for a getaway Walking distance to Battery Park, Wall Street, 9/11 Memorial. Plenty of restaurants. If you get it for points or a good price it's perfect. The only bad thing is the elevators are very slow.

The ride from JFK is no problem to the Financial District.

NYC resident here. Staying in the Financial District would make perfect sense. Easy subway access for your sightseeing and the morning taxi trip is an easy ride up the West Side Highway. You've planned well.

Other hotel options to consider are the many nice boutique hotels on the Upper West Side such as the Empire, BelleClaire, NYLO, and the Lucerne. All in great locations with easy access to midtown, and all within a 5-10 minute taxi trip to the cruise terminal in rush hour.

Thank you so much for that information. I was just searching out one of these because it was listed in another thread. I will look at them all, thanks again!

What exact date do you fly in? What airline? What time does your flight arrive? How much is the hotel you are looking at in the Wall St area? These details will help folks to give advice.

You should not stay at a hotel at JFK if any kind of reasonable Manhattan option is available to you.

Thanks Carol. We land at JFK at 12:00 on a Wednesday and after looking at all the hotels, our budget is hopefully no more than 500.00. We leave the following day on the cruise. Ideally something close to the port which will allow us to walk and see some of the city. Thanks !

Thanks Carol. We land at JFK at 12:00 on a Wednesday and after looking at all the hotels, our budget is hopefully no more than 500.00. We leave the following day on the cruise. Ideally something close to the port which will allow us to walk and see some of the city. Thanks !

Exact date?

For 10/25 Hotwire has a 3* hotel in the midtown West Theater District for $209 plus tax and fees. 90% recommended with a pool. This would be a good gamble.

La Quinta on 32nd St has a queen room for $255 plus tax, $234 prepay with free breakfast. This hotel is popular with New York posters and we often recommend it. This is close to Macy's and the Empire State.

These hotels would put you in midtown closer to the port and with easier access to the midtown attractions.

Taxi fare from JFK to anywhere in Manhattan is a flat rate of about $53 fixed plus one toll (Queens Midtown Tunnel being most likely at $5.74) plus tipping, 15% to 20% of base fare. Dispatcher should be on duty at those hours for arriving passengers, get an itemized computer receipt for your record in case of any dispute or need to file a complaint. Car service rates are almost the same and competitive, flat rate & regardless of which route - drivers tend to pick the fastest route based on all available traffic & road info. Either way, always buckle up your seat beat as a rider in the backseat - not required by law but strongly recommended - ER staff will tell you horror stories of faces smashing into those clear bulllet-proof partition aren't pretty.

Traffic is likely going to be heavy but not necessary crazy, unless weather is a major factor - trip time will be about 90 minutes to 2 hours if "horrible" is declared.

If there's just 2 travelers and bedding isn't a big concern, I also suggest using Hotwire as an option to find a better deal, maybe last minute with excess inventory. Strategy might be to book a 100% refundable rate with Hilton, make use of all available discounts and points, etc. Given the JFK midday arrival & transit time, staying in the greater Times Square area (including Grand Central/East Side & Herald Square/NY Penn Station/34th Street corridor) might be more preferred than staying in the Financial Districts, as weekday rates might NOT be that much lower or different. OP can then just walk around without dealing with the subways as a first time visitor to NYC ? Again, it depends on what OP wanted to do, see & where to eat dinner.

On the morning of embarkation, an easy taxi or car service ride will be inexpensive, maybe $15 or so for the short trip. Sept. & Oct. are popular dates for cruises in NY so hotel inventory and prices are likely to stay high until closer to - keep checking as you could possibly find a bargain a week from that day for $200 to $250 all inclusive.

I booked a room at the Hilton Garden Inn on 42nd in Times square. Hilton Honors rate was $320.00 and AAA Rate was $296 for a King room. October 5th and 6th. On 42nd between 6th and Broadway.

Taxi fare from JFK to anywhere in Manhattan is a flat rate of about $53 fixed plus one toll (Queens Midtown Tunnel being most likely at $5.74) plus tipping, 15% to 20% of base fare. Dispatcher should be on duty at those hours for arriving passengers, get an itemized computer receipt for your record in case of any dispute or need to file a complaint. Car service rates are almost the same and competitive, flat rate & regardless of which route - drivers tend to pick the fastest route based on all available traffic & road info. Either way, always buckle up your seat beat as a rider in the backseat - not required by law but strongly recommended - ER staff will tell you horror stories of faces smashing into those clear bulllet-proof partition aren't pretty.

Traffic is likely going to be heavy but not necessary crazy, unless weather is a major factor - trip time will be about 90 minutes to 2 hours if "horrible" is declared.

If there's just 2 travelers and bedding isn't a big concern, I also suggest using Hotwire as an option to find a better deal, maybe last minute with excess inventory. Strategy might be to book a 100% refundable rate with Hilton, make use of all available discounts and points, etc. Given the JFK midday arrival & transit time, staying in the greater Times Square area (including Grand Central/East Side & Herald Square/NY Penn Station/34th Street corridor) might be more preferred than staying in the Financial Districts, as weekday rates might NOT be that much lower or different. OP can then just walk around without dealing with the subways as a first time visitor to NYC ? Again, it depends on what OP wanted to do, see & where to eat dinner.

On the morning of embarkation, an easy taxi or car service ride will be inexpensive, maybe $15 or so for the short trip. Sept. & Oct. are popular dates for cruises in NY so hotel inventory and prices are likely to stay high until closer to - keep checking as you could possibly find a bargain a week from that day for $200 to $250 all inclusive.

Great information, thank you! I was wondering how long the drive was from JFK to Manhattan. Hopefully not going to be horrible! I like the idea of staying in the Times Square area because of what you mentioned.

Thanks again, really looking forward to visiting.

Another (cheaper) option form JFK to Manhattan is the Long Island RR (or the subway) it drops you right at Penn Station and you can walk to any number of hotels and no sitting in traffic.

If the OP chooses the LaQuinta on W 32nd that Carol mentioned above that would be a great option if one can manage the luggage. This location is an easy walk to the Empire State Building. There are above ground MTA busses you can get in this area also if you don't feel comfortable on subway.

Thank you all! I don't think I would feel comfortable doing the subway. That might take a trip or two :) but I am so grateful for your input. I was really hoping to book the hotel today but got caught up watching sailaway! Amazing how much time can be spent doing that.

All your input has been so great. Here is a question. How long does it take to travel from one end of Manhattan to the other? And by that I mean both North to South and East to West? When you watch the webcams it all just blurs together. I see the map so I know it doesn't but it is hard to tell the actual distance. Just curious. Again, thank you all so much!

Jai

Hi BlueJai- Traveling time for the length or width of Manhattan will depend upon a number of factors, which include time of day, whether you take surface streets or highway, and where you choose to cross the island. From the south to north (or vice versa) it could take 20-50 minutes via the West Side Highway or FDR or well over an hour or two by surface streets. Crossing Manhattan east to west (or vice versa) could take anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour depending upon where you cross and the time of day.