QM2 Departing NYC Sept 27

pmb1

I wonder if there weren't also problems with late arriving flights due that fire at the Air Traffic Control Center in Illinois yesterday..."The incident forced the evacuation of the Federal Aviation Administration control center in Aurora, Illinois, and severely snarled air traffic on Friday, when an estimated 2,100 flights were canceled at major airports across the country.

The impact stretched into Saturday with another 748 flight cancellations nationwide, more than double the number of cancellations for the entire day before the fire, according to tracking website FlightAware." copied from

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/27/us-usa-chicago-airport-idUSKCN0HL1J120140927

It is going to depart late due to the tide. I believe that was mentioned earlier.
Not sure about that. Wasn't low tide at 5PM? Anyway QM2 can clear the Verrazano Bridge by three meters at high tide. More likely waiting for late air passengers, but only if they booked their flights through Cunard.

Not sure about that. Wasn't low tide at 5PM? Anyway QM2 can clear the Verrazano Bridge by three meters at high tide. More likely waiting for late air passengers, but only if they booked their flights through Cunard.

It wasn't anything to due with late air passengers or the mess in Chicago yesterday. It was reported on another thread a few days ago that the QM2 would have a late arrival and a late departure. The late arrival was due to the tides.

Edited by gentlemancruiser

Five ships in Manhattan what a madhouse that must have been. I've been there with four and it took over an hour to go three blocks.

Only four in Manhattan....the Royal Princess was at Brooklyn. And nothing at Cape Liberty (Bayonne, NJ) today. The AIDA is on an extended call, so little impact from her passenger's...

I suppose you can say there were six cruiseship's in Manhattan today....that is, if you want to count the two small 'cruiseyacht's' that sail from the Chelsea Pier.....

Edited by bob brown

To address some of the questions/comments here:

Regarding today, Royal Princess was assigned to Redhook as she caries 1,000 more passengers than QM2. There are also two other ships in Manhattan and QM2 was given the third arrival slot. The late arrival combined with the obsolescence of the Terminal means that it will be much later until she is bunkered and re-provisioned.

Redhook was built to accommodate the megaships of today. The Manhattan terminal was built in the middle of the last century when ships much smaller.

A third reason - QM2 normally docks in Redhook without tug assistance. (High winds being an exception.) Any ship turning into Manhattan has to make a 90deg starboard turn against the strong down currents of the Hudson. As agile as she is, she can't fight the currents without tug assistance. Some have observed two tugs struggle to push her backside into the pier.

And yes, the Coast Guard has to put out a special bulletin extending the security zone. It's normally measured from the end of the pier. QM2's length forces the zone into part of the shipping channel.

The nice thing about the Harbor cam, is they have a scanner. playing the marine traffic channel.

I switch between cam's, but keep both on in separate window's, so I can hear both audio's....

One thing I notice, is that the QM2's own webcam is not updating....