worried about bad reviews.

ibizasue

Hi everyone, I am just off next week on the new Diadema, I have had no response on roll calls... my guess is no english speaking passengers have booked or no one as booked at all lol..I hope not.,I have been checking RECENT reviews, majority are really bad, I cruised costa concordia 3 years ago and really enjoyed it as a solo traveller, great food, staff,entertainment ... can Costa have really declined that much. would love some replies of recent travellers on Costa to put my mind at rest and help my get excited about travelling...:)

If you have travelled with Costa before, then you know what to expect. Not many people in the UK know about Cruise Critic and I presume even less in Italy, so don't let the lack of a Roll Call or postings put you off, I am sure you will have a great time, we have done loads of cruises with Costa and have always had a great tme.

CC members on a Costa cruise are a very tiny fraction (if any), and those that write a review (good or bad) are even less in numbers. Just count the reviews for the last year as against the number of passengers that sailed with Costa over the same period (in the millions).

The Diadema only entered service at the beginning of Nov 2014, so there may still be some teething problems.

You have to read between the lines with regards to reviews and then fom your onw opion.

I personally breakdown negative reviews into 3 categories:

1. The Grudge Review - some one has got it in for Costa. Something happened to make them disgruntled e.g. they wanted a free cabin upgrade but were refused, so from then on everything on the ship was rubbish.

2. The American Bubble, passengers traveling to Europe expecting to cruise on an American style ship while taking in the culture of Europe. Then realise that there in no lobster night, no 24 hour gluttony fiest, steak like a shoe sole etc.

3. Real Grievency, where the passenger suffered one or more incidnts onboard.

Go with an open mind and with the flow. Enjoy it - it is your cruise.

I'm doing my fifth cruise with them in a few months. Have not noticed any decline since the first time. Perhaps a wee bit more penny pinching but all the lines are doing that go some extent.

Costa like MSC seems to attract a lot of negative reviews on here. I put some of this done to Ron's 1 &2 type, especially considering the nationality of the majority of CC members.

Never found an active roll call yet for a Costa cruise. I'm lucky if I get one other poster and sometimes not even that.

If you've sailed them before and enjoyed it, there is no reason you won't do so again.

There are often jiggly problems with maiden voyages and some folk don't react well to a that either.

Thankyou for all your replies and reassurance, I got a good price for the cruise, and dont mind at all paying for some options ie special dining and on board entertainment. I bought the all inclusive option as i did last time and I live in spain so I am used to paying for bottled water.. I enjoy meetiing new people and am lucky that I am multi lingual so language barriers are easily overcome. TO be honest I know what review can be like, the main worry was majority of people said the food standards had really declined..If that is NOT so I will be a happy bunny..:)

TO be honest I know what review can be like, the main worry was majority of people said the food standards had really declined..If that is NOT so I will be a happy bunny..:)

If the food standard has declined, it could help one's New Years resolution to live on a bit longer than in past years.:D

• 2 weeks later...

I am on the Costa Victoria right now. All of the bad reviews were true. Well, my bed does not have bed bugs. I have quite a few negative observations to add, but will send CC a full report when I return (the list keeps getting longer).

If you love beans and cabbage and overcooked broccoli at every meal, this is the cruise for you!!! I've lost all appetite and am losing weight, so maybe that is a plus. The maid gives me plenty of tea, which curbs the hunger pangs.

For me, this cruise is about learning while at port and working in my cabin on business since there is nothing on this ship outside my cabin door worth doing.

I'm glad I came to see these places, but would never never use this ship again.

CC members on a Costa cruise are a very tiny fraction (if any), and those that write a review (good or bad) are even less in numbers. Just count the reviews for the last year as against the number of passengers that sailed with Costa over the same period (in the millions).

The Diadema only entered service at the beginning of Nov 2014, so there may still be some teething problems.

You have to read between the lines with regards to reviews and then fom your onw opion.

I personally breakdown negative reviews into 3 categories:

1. The Grudge Review - some one has got it in for Costa. Something happened to make them disgruntled e.g. they wanted a free cabin upgrade but were refused, so from then on everything on the ship was rubbish.

2. The American Bubble, passengers traveling to Europe expecting to cruise on an American style ship while taking in the culture of Europe. Then realise that there in no lobster night, no 24 hour gluttony fiest, steak like a shoe sole etc.

3. Real Grievency, where the passenger suffered one or more incidnts onboard.

Go with an open mind and with the flow. Enjoy it - it is your cruise.

I think you have summed things up brilliantly.

Maybe you left out people grumbling that water is not free - Costa are usually cheaper than , for example, Celebrity. So why not buy the water package and drink to your heart's content. We go further. We buy AI .

I am on the Costa Victoria right now. All of the bad reviews were true. Well, my bed does not have bed bugs. I have quite a few negative observations to add, but will send CC a full report when I return (the list keeps getting longer).

If you love beans and cabbage and overcooked broccoli at every meal, this is the cruise for you!!! I've lost all appetite and am losing weight, so maybe that is a plus. The maid gives me plenty of tea, which curbs the hunger pangs.

For me, this cruise is about learning while at port and working in my cabin on business since there is nothing on this ship outside my cabin door worth doing.

I'm glad I came to see these places, but would never never use this ship again.

Don't forget the positives :p there will be some ;) Making comparisons to other cruise lines is a negative. Each one is different. Opinions are subjective, and negatives are always first out of the hat. Objective is good though :D

Looking forward to reading your comments :)

If you love beans and cabbage and overcooked broccoli at every meal, this is the cruise for you!!! mmmmmmmmmmmmm ........never had that for breakfast !!!!! Do you get a choice of beans? mung, kidney, haricot, green red, baked.what?

Edited by dizzy1948

OK, I can reveal a secret, the Costa Victoria will be getting a set of sails during the next dry docking, to help reduce fuel costs.

Costa is hoping that passengers wil hep to fill the sails with wind, thats why the dietary change on Victoria:

If you love beans and cabbage and overcooked broccoli at every meal, this is the cruise for you.

OK, I can reveal a secret, the Costa Victoria will be getting a set of sails during the next dry docking, to help reduce fuel costs.

Costa is hoping that passengers wil hep to fill the sails with wind, thats why the dietary change on Victoria:

If you love beans and cabbage and overcooked broccoli at every meal, this is the cruise for you.

Hey Ron, this is a bit like the good old days :D Where's Ally when you need her?

Edited by dizzy1948

Yeah, I'm from Switzerland and I just discovered CC a year ago, when I prepared for a Royal Caribbean Cruise, but I've been to 7 or 8 Costa Cruises and "only" 2 RCCL Cruises, so my family are Costa people (my parents had 40 cruises and counting with Costa).

I just returned from the caribbean where I travelled with Costa Fortuna.

Although there are some bad reviews about the food on this ship as well;

it was good and I liked it very much.

And the rule is always: If you look for the "hair in the soup" you'll find it, if you don't look you have a better cruise and a better experience...so enjoy your costa cruise. Can't wait to have my next one, but as I book cruises for their itinerary it get's harder every year to find one, which has enough new ports to offer, where I've not yet been to.

Edited by onyx007

A few posters have alluded to the "American Bubble" syndrome when there are complaints, but maybe its actually other countries extremely "low expectations" when it comes to good food and service.

I cant speak for the OP but only for myself, the 24 hr chow fest of fried grease and sugar that some Americans find appealing is not to our liking in the least. The food on the Costa cruises are limited in availability and quantity which was perfectly fine BECAUSE the food they USED to serve was fresh and delicious. NOT ANY MORE.... Same with the service NOT GOOD NOW...

When Costas new CEO cuts workers pay from 1000 euros a mos to 1000 dollars a mos and cut the food budget by 70% its not gonna be pretty. Bad service and lousy food is the result, so if your idea of a good meal is boiled trays of cheap mush then youre just gonna love Costa now. Many Europeans dont have other options because Costa caters to them, (language etc) but if youre American or Canadian youd have to be nuts to cruise with them now, YOU WILL NOT BE HAPPY, TRUST ME. Carnival and Norwegian are priced the same or lower and have much better food and service. As for peeps lookin for hair in the soup, its just not the case...were glass half full kinda folk, and USED to be huge Costa fans..Not anymore.

Edited by gws35

A few posters have alluded to the "American Bubble" syndrome when there are complaints, but maybe its actually other countries extremely "low expectations" when it comes to good food and service.

I cant speak for the OP but only for myself, the 24 hr chow fest of fried grease and sugar that some Americans find appealing is not to our liking in the least. The food on the Costa cruises are limited in availability and quantity which was perfectly fine BECAUSE the food they USED to serve was fresh and delicious. NOT ANY MORE.... Same with the service NOT GOOD NOW...

When Costas new CEO cuts workers pay from 1000 euros a mos to 1000 dollars a mos and cut the food budget by 70% its not gonna be pretty. Bad service and lousy food is the result, so if your idea of a good meal is boiled trays of cheap mush then youre just gonna love Costa now. Many Europeans dont have other options because Costa caters to them, (language etc) but if youre American or Canadian youd have to be nuts to cruise with them now, YOU WILL NOT BE HAPPY, TRUST ME. Carnival and Norwegian are priced the same or lower and have much better food and service. As for peeps lookin for hair in the soup, its just not the case...were glass half full kinda folk, and USED to be huge Costa fans..Not anymore.

Just curious -

What is the source of your information about the wages and budget cuts?

I would like to see where you read that.

A few posters have alluded to the "American Bubble" syndrome when there are complaints,

If you are going to quote me, then please get the fact right. I said tfor me there were 3 types of negative reports, one of whiche was passengers with true grievences.

Just curious -

What is the source of your information about the wages and budget cuts?

I would like to see where you read that.

I could believe the swap from € to $ for the wages, as the Victoria is now based in China / Far East most of the "below" decks staff are Chinese and China has a lower wage level than staff from other countries.

But there is no way that the budget for food has been cut by 70% Costa wide.

Hey Ron, this is a bit like the good old days :D Where's Ally when you need her?

Not sure where Ally is- she posts occasionally on Facebook.

Im still here- lurking more than posting.

Dreaming of a cruise.... I want Asia... I want Costa.... I want times to suit....

Not sure where Ally is- she posts occasionally on Facebook.

Im still here- lurking more than posting.

Dreaming of a cruise.... I want Asia... I want Costa.... I want times to suit....

Same here, can't find anything...............I'm a lurker like you :D Nothing cruise wise is popping up - too many ships hitting the Asian waters now..........Costa was always different somehow................can't take memories away. You never know......it could come round again - let's think positive :D

If you are going to quote me, then please get the fact right. I said tfor me there were 3 types of negative reports, one of whiche was passengers with true grievences.

I never quoted you. You made the SAME comparison to an earlier post of mine (3 types of neg reports) so not too difficult to figure out what youre "trying" to say....(7 posts down)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2143601

A Canadian cruiser I met on the Costa Mediteranea was informed of the Euro to Dollar pay swap and food cuts by his room steward. I triple cked that info with my next door room steward and dinner water boy who confirmed both.

Actually the next door steward was shockingly honest, and asked me to post whats going on the internet to help his coworkers. He said Dollars were worth 25% less than Euros so the staff on Costa got a 25% PAY CUT when they got paid in Dollars vs Euros. In addition they nearly doubled their workload, they have to take care 26 rooms now, before it was 18. He said Costa informed staff if they didnt like it they would be replaced with Indian workers making $300 a mos, Id say half the crew were Indians making ten bucks a day on that ship, no wonder the food staff was always unhappy....disgraceful!

As for the food budget cuts, the Canadian I met quoted the food cut at 75%...my next door room steward said the food budget was cut by 2/3's...I split the difference...70%

If you saw the food on last months Mediteranea cruise youd think they cut the food budget by 95%..it was that bad btw...as was the service by food staff (cant blame em)...tons of other things were cut to the bone as well...

Edited by gws35

Id say half the crew were Indians making ten bucks a day on that ship, no wonder the food staff was always unhappy....disgraceful!...

So you heard it from someone who told you about someone who told him about it...? Maybe this cabin steward just doesn't like Indians?

Firstly, there were, are and will be always Indians on board Cruise Ships, most of them come from the region around Goa, where there is a big sailing tradition. We had on our costa cruise in the caribbean also many of them, beside Philippines and they never looked unhappy and were always ready to serve. The food was also good and we had nothing to complain about...

...but it might be something else in Asia. I think Costa in Asia is not to compare with Costa in Europe or the Caribbean as I heard it.

(And I'm sure that when someone earned for example 500 Euros, that he or she just get's 500 US, that would be ridiculous)

I never quoted you. You made the SAME comparison to an earlier post of mine (3 types of neg reports) so not too difficult to figure out what youre "trying" to say....(7 posts down)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2143601

A Canadian cruiser I met on the Costa Mediteranea was informed of the Euro to Dollar pay swap and food cuts by his room steward. I triple cked that info with my next door room steward and dinner water boy who confirmed both.

Actually the next door steward was shockingly honest, and asked me to post whats going on the internet to help his coworkers. He said Dollars were worth 25% less than Euros so the staff on Costa got a 25% PAY CUT when they got paid in Dollars vs Euros. In addition they nearly doubled their workload, they have to take care 26 rooms now, before it was 18. He said Costa informed staff if they didnt like it they would be replaced with Indian workers making $300 a mos, Id say half the crew were Indians making ten bucks a day on that ship, no wonder the food staff was always unhappy....disgraceful!

As for the food budget cuts, the Canadian I met quoted the food cut at 75%...my next door room steward said the food budget was cut by 2/3's...I split the difference...70%

If you saw the food on last months Mediteranea cruise youd think they cut the food budget by 95%..it was that bad btw...as was the service by food staff (cant blame em)...tons of other things were cut to the bone as well...

I know that the cabin steward workload has been increased but some nationalities are paid in Euros and some in Dollars. The workers paid in dollars don't make less money. Dollars just cost less to buy than Euros.

When people from some countries work on a cruise ship they make a heck of a lot more money than if they stayed home to work, its like compairing apples to oranges. Its all relative.

I have seen some budget cuts onboard ship as I was on the Pacifica in November and Luminosa over New Years this year. The food was very good.