Homelands.......Bergen

jiminyC_fan

I have a question for those that have done the Homelands cruise. We are looking at Mt Floien or Mt Ulriken in Bergen. Has anyone done one or both and which is known to offer the best views?

Thanks for helping me decide.

We did Floien and it is certainly the easiest to get to. Might I suggest:

theworldisabook.com

Go to the category section and find Norway listed. There you will find 2 posts and one is about the 2 viewpoints w/pictures. I think the other is a little more rustic with more of a nature feel if you are looking for hiking. I would think this might be fun but also think it is more time consuming to get that feeling and a good part of that is not the view but the adventure .Both have their place.

Thanks for this, Dauntless! Those are great posts that clearly show the differences between the two lovely "high points!" I went on to look at some of her other posts on places we'll visit on our September Homelands cruise - very helpful even if you don't have kids!

Thanks CharTrav. It is the highest so I assume the best view, too. Did you do it on your own? I think we will.

No. As a Viking excursion. Hubby did the Fantoft Stave Church & Grieg's House while I was doing Ulricken.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How was the Stave Church/Grieg concert? We are interested in doing that. Thanks!!

There is a bus from town that takes you out to the Grieg House for the lunch time concert. I read about it when I was researching for our 2016 trip (just don't ask me where online I read it). It does not include the church. I was looking at doing both by public transportation. It is do-able (if someone will give you good instructions) but from what I read the church is not well marked and can be hard to find. In the end, we did not do any of these choices. I was out of energy completely and the rest of the crew did not feel in the least adventuresome.

With regard to visiting Troldhaugen for the museum, and lunchtime concert there are several options including:

'Special offer from 18 May to 30 September - every day

Includes:

• Bus transport from the Tourist Information to Troldhaugen at 11:00.
  • Guided tour of Grieg’s home and 1/2 hour concert in Troldsalen.
  • Return transport to Bergen centre at 14:00.

Price: NOK 250/200 (Children under 16: NOK 100).'

http://griegmuseum.no/en/find-us

For full information:

http://griegmuseum.no/en

With regard to the Fantoft Stave Church the following website contains instructions on how to reach it:

https://en.visitbergen.com/things-to-do/fantoft-stave-church-p824893

Hello,

We have been to both Mt Floien and Mt Ulriken, think we prefer the latter. It is worth getting early to the funicular to avoid queues. We bought tickets for the cable car to Mt Ulriken at the tourist information office next to the Fish Market in Bergen. Then we caught a local bus which left from near the harbour where the land train starts. It is reduced fare for 60+ (no offence). There is also a Christmas shop in Bergen, the Julehuset, in the line of shops facing the harbour.

Oh dear!!! My sweet husband is in trouble if there is a Christmas shop!!! I love to buy ornaments from our travels!
I apologize if I am de-railing the thread, but I totally agree with you. For the past several years, on our trips, I have purchased Christmas ornaments. They are easy to pack, and we have a separate 6 ft. tree in our family room with travel ornaments; each year when we decorate that tree, I think about our wonderful trips - it always brings a big smile to my face. I will surely be shopping for ornaments on our upcoming July 15th Viking Homelands cruise (we may need another tree!).

Hello,

We have been to both Mt Floien and Mt Ulriken, think we prefer the latter. It is worth getting early to the funicular to avoid queues. We bought tickets for the cable car to Mt Ulriken at the tourist information office next to the Fish Market in Bergen. Then we caught a local bus which left from near the harbour where the land train starts. It is reduced fare for 60+ (no offence). There is also a Christmas shop in Bergen, the Julehuset, in the line of shops facing the harbour.

Looks like your post made many happy. Thanks for all the hints including the Christmas shop!

How was the Stave Church/Grieg concert? We are interested in doing that. Thanks!!

When I wrote up a revu of the excursions we did last Summer (posted elsewhere here in the forum or can repost here if you want), the most DH said was that it "was worth it and enjoyable if you like music".

Sent from my iPhone using Forums