Where to have a great dinner in FLL?

LadyG888

We have never been to Ft. Lauderdale; we're staying the night before the cruise (out of POM). We're looking for a good place to have dinner the night before. Nothing super fancy and as long as it's clean. We are thinking a mix of seafood and American options, have a nice beer/drink with dinner. Looking for one of those secret places locals go to, some place that is like it would be featured on "You Gotta Eat Here" or "Diners, Drive In's and Dives" etc. Our hotel is 3 miles from the airport and we're willing to take a cab/Uber, but we don't want it to be too far.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Not sure where you are staying but what I would suggest is to take the water taxi around getting off in Las Olas Blvd where there are lots of shops and restaurants. If you are not near the water taxi, hop in a taxi or uber and head in that direction. I ate at Mangos a few years back, they have a sidewalk area where you can sit and that night they had jazz music playing, we thoroughly enjoyed it.....hope this helps.....enjoy!!!

Not sure where you are staying but what I would suggest is to take the water taxi around getting off in Las Olas Blvd where there are lots of shops and restaurants. If you are not near the water taxi, hop in a taxi or uber and head in that direction. I ate at Mangos a few years back, they have a sidewalk area where you can sit and that night they had jazz music playing, we thoroughly enjoyed it.....hope this helps.....enjoy!!!

I agree Mangos is one of our favorite places in FLL.

I agree Mangos is one of our favorite places in FLL.

Mangos is closed right now for renovations. It was sold by the longtime owner and is rumored to be reopening as an Italian restaurant.

http://www.southflorida.com/restaurants-and-bars/the-eat-beat/sf-mayo-eat-beat-mangos-sold-fort-lauderdale-20170130-story.html

We have never been to Ft. Lauderdale; we're staying the night before the cruise (out of POM). We're looking for a good place to have dinner the night before. Nothing super fancy and as long as it's clean. We are thinking a mix of seafood and American options, have a nice beer/drink with dinner. Looking for one of those secret places locals go to, some place that is like it would be featured on "You Gotta Eat Here" or "Diners, Drive In's and Dives" etc. Our hotel is 3 miles from the airport and we're willing to take a cab/Uber, but we don't want it to be too far.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Where are you staying? It would be better to go somewhere close to your hotel rather than have to pay $50 taxi fare each way.

OK...I see from another post you are staying at the Residence Inn at the corner of Griffin Road and Anglers Ave. You are fortunate enough to be a short walk from two Ft Lauderdale icon restaurants, Tropical Acres Steakhouse and the Rustic Inn Crabhouse...

http://arkrestaurants.com/rustic-inn-fort-lauderdale/

http://www.tropicalacres.com/

Darn on Mangos, loved that place. Rustic Inn sounds delightful, we may eat there next month....thanks for the suggestion...

Rustic Inn is, without question, a unique Triple D kind of place except it's grown quite large over the past 60 years. The outside dining area is actually a barge with a roof. It's slightly pricey, but it's a great experience and the food is pretty dang good, too.

Casablanca cafe on A1A.

South port raw bar.

Any Quartedeck, especially like the one on Dania pier.

Le Tub in Hollywood if it's still there.

Dockers on US1

Jaxsons on US1 for ice cream. There is also a chocolate shop not far on US1.

Rustic Inn is a great place for seafood. If you decide your in the mood for Italian you have to try Louie Bossi's on Las Olas Blvd. The place has outstanding pizza, homemade pasta, and an extensive wine list. The place is noisy and always packed. It's a great place to people watch, have a cocktail, and enjoy a wonderful meal.

We were staying at Crown Plaza a couple of weeks ago and asked where to go for dinner. Desk clerk told us there was another couple waiting for the shuttle to the Rustic Inn. They may provide transportation if you are not too far away.

Ate at Kellys Landing in November and thought the seafood was good. Grew up in new england.

We were staying at Crown Plaza a couple of weeks ago and asked where to go for dinner. Desk clerk told us there was another couple waiting for the shuttle to the Rustic Inn. They may provide transportation if you are not too far away.

Rustic Inn is two blocks straight up Angler's Ave from the Residence Inn.

Mangos will re-open after extensive (much needed) renovations as a high end Italian going after Louie Bossi's business as they've dominated Las Olas. Fantastic food and unbelievable atmosphere. Don't go expecting stuffed shells, lasagna, or eggplant parm as they aren't on the menu.

Agree Rustic Inn near your hotel is one of my favorites.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions - As Rustic Inn is close to our hotel and the menu looks like what we are looking for, we will probably try here. Do we need reservations?

No, but if you have a large group it might not be a bad idea.

A lot of the hotels on Griffin (Dania Beach) have a shuttle that takes you to various eateries. You might want to call the front desk.

2 weeks ago we had a great meal with 30 people from our group at Sal's Italian Restaurante in the Oakwood Plaza (the hotels shuttle to that shopping plaza and the eateries.

It was great. They served 30 people without a hitch and on a Thursday night it was packed ... food and beverage was great and reasonable.

Lou

I live down in Downtown Miami so I am not up by the Ft. Lauderdale area much, except for work once in a while during the day, but I went to the 15th Street Fisheries a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Its a true Florida menu, great options, nice location, but very laid back too. Its what Florida dinning is all about I think. That would be my suggestion.

Rustic Inn is great. Famous for crabs, but their linguine dishes are out of this world. Note that Ravenswood Road/Anglers Ave. is closed for construction, so be sure to check their website for detour details.

Other favorites:

Hot and Soul, at US1 and Oakland Park

http://hotandsoul.com/

The Chimney House, near the Broward Center for Performing Arts:

http://www.thechimneyhouse.net/