Magen's Bay or Sapphire Beach

SeaHoliday

Hello-we will be arriving at St Thomas in the afternoon and I was wondering which beach would be better--Megan or Sapphire?

Thanks!

Kari

December of 2014 we arrived in St. Thomas late and went to Sapphire. It was beautiful as always, but about an hour after we got there (lots of traffic and long taxi ride), they were starting to put chairs away and it was close to the time the beach would be closing. We walked around some and snorkeled. Got a good 2 hours there though and the beach and its surroundings are beautiful!! :D

As a side note - The early closing had to be because the sun was setting so early due to the time of year. It was completely dark when we got back to the pier for shopping but the Christmas lights were beautiful lol. :p

December of 2014 we arrived in St. Thomas late and went to Sapphire. It was beautiful as always, but about an hour after we got there (lots of traffic and long taxi ride), they were starting to put chairs away and it was close to the time the beach would be closing. We walked around some and snorkeled. Got a good 2 hours there though and the beach and its surroundings are beautiful!! :D

As a side note - The early closing had to be because the sun was setting so early due to the time of year. It was completely dark when we got back to the pier for shopping but the Christmas lights were beautiful lol. :p

So is Magan's Bay a quicker taxi?

Hello-we will be arriving at St Thomas in the afternoon and I was wondering which beach would be better--Megan or Sapphire?

Thanks!

Kari

Neither!

Megans is a tourist trap probably because it was voted best 10 beaches in the world. That was years ago. Now it is too crowded

Sapphire? Been there twice and never caught on to liking it

Here is where we go

How about a nice (usually quiet) stretch of beach with facilities, chairs for rent, food and bar?

Emerald!

Faster to get to also

Also where the ship's crew (singers and dancers) often go to relax

Emerald_View_1.jpg

Emerald3.jpg

Emerald2.jpg

Edited by SeaUs

Neither!

Megans is a tourist trap probably because it was voted best 10 beaches in the world. That was years ago. Now it is too crowded

Here is where we go

How about a nice (usually quiet) stretch of beach with facilities, chairs for rent, food and bar?

Emerald!

Faster to get to also

Emerald_View_1.jpg

Emerald3.jpg

Emerald2.jpg

Is Emerald beach next to the airport?

Sapphire is way to far for me during a cruise vacation. If I'm staying in St Thomas it won't be a problem but a 2 hrs drive it's a lot for me specially when a cruise ( that's doesn't wait) is waiting for you

When we did it, it was maybe 20 minutes, and that was from Crown Bay.

Neither!

Here is where we go

Emerald!

Faster to get to also

Emerald_View_1.jpg

Emerald3.jpg

Emerald2.jpg

This sounds like us! How far is it and can we get a cab there?

Emerald is just over the hill from where Oasis/Allure docks, just a 5 minute cab ride. But Sapphire is much prettier.

Emerald has a terrific little beachside cafe that has great burgers, but Emerald has no snorkeling at all. Having done both I'd recommend Sapphire even though its much longer ride to opposite side of island. Also Lindquist/Smith Bay Beach is right next door to Sapphire so you could walk over if you don't like Sapphire.

Here is Sapphire web cam:

http://www.sapphireinthesun.com/

Also, be aware you must pay for a lounger at Emerald. They come around to make sure they get paid.

I found my pic of the taxi fares from Crown Bay where Allure docks to the beaches:

160dhmx.jpg

Edited by BecciBoo

Emerald is just over the hill from where Oasis/Allure docks, just a 5 minute cab ride. But Sapphire is much prettier.

Emerald has a terrific little beachside cafe that has great burgers, but Emerald has no snorkeling at all. Having done both I'd recommend Sapphire even though its much longer ride to opposite side of island. Also Lindquist/Smith Bay Beach is right next door to Sapphire so you could walk over if you don't like Sapphire.

Here is Sapphire web cam:

http://www.sapphireinthesun.com/

Also, be aware you must pay for a lounger at Emerald. They come around to make sure they get paid.

I found my pic of the taxi fares from Crown Bay where Allure docks to the beaches:

What beach is it you don't have to pay for loungers?

Excuse me?

Just trying to give accurate info...what is your problem?

Since you are obviously clueless....when you first arrive the loungers are all over the beach. We didn't find out until almost 3 hrs into it that they weren't provided by the hotel.

Edited by BecciBoo

Excuse me?

Just trying to give accurate info...what is your problem?

Since you are obviously clueless....when you first arrive the loungers are all over the beach. We didn't find out until almost 3 hrs into it that they weren't provided by the hotel.

No problem at all,

Anyone that goes to a beach expects to pay for loungers, especially on front of a hotel

Edited by SeaUs

I think they were about $7 or $8...can't remember exactly... not much. It is a nice little beach, I just happen to like Sapphire better. But if you're looking to just hop over and spend a couple hrs, its less crowded than Magen's etc. and is a good choice.

I think they were about $7 or $8...can't remember exactly... not much. It is a nice little beach, I just happen to like Sapphire better. But if you're looking to just hop over and spend a couple hrs, its less crowded than Magen's etc. and is a good choice.

I like Sapphire too! But I figured the next time I dock at Crown Bay, I would give Emerald a try.

"Megans is a tourist trap probably because it was voted best 10 beaches in the world."

I find it interesting that folks feel Magens is a tourist trap. It is a territorial park, and more popular with local families than any other beach. If it is crowded, it is because everyone seems to park themselves right in front of the taxi stand or bar. It happens to be the longest beach, which is rather an anomaly in the VI, where most beaches are pocket sized.