Seattle Transportation Wheelchair

Hi All,

Need some help planning our wheelchair accessible rides. There are 6 adults traveling from SeaTac to Hampton Inn (near Space Needle) and then to Pier 91 in the following morning. One of us uses a fulltime manual chair and is able to transfer into a CAR but not a van or SUV. However, we will likely also have 6 big bags with us at least. Any idea's on how to do this? Or if you have an idea of an easier hotel that has accessible shuttles included please throw that out there.

Thanks!

Hi All,

Need some help planning our wheelchair accessible rides. There are 6 adults traveling from SeaTac to Hampton Inn (near Space Needle) and then to Pier 91 in the following morning. One of us uses a fulltime manual chair and is able to transfer into a CAR but not a van or SUV. However, we will likely also have 6 big bags with us at least. Any idea's on how to do this? Or if you have an idea of an easier hotel that has accessible shuttles included please throw that out there.

Thanks!

A normal taxi can handle only two people plus bags . You can get handicapped taxis. They usually are vans and can handle up to 4 people plus bags. With six people you might want to look for a private limo or similar that can handle 6 passengers plus luggage.

Yellow cab is the only company allowed to take people into Seattle.

Give them a call and ask them directly.

http://www.seattleyellowcab.com

You could also contact this company

http://www.seattlevipcoach.com

You might also want to post this on the Seattle board as well.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=413

Edited by Kamloops50

In Seattle, leaving Pies 91, there are many accessible taxis available. Let the longshoreman collect your luggage, and he will deliver you to the taxi line and contact the taxi starter on your behalf, who will have a handicap taxi brought up in rank for you. This is always how it has worked for me there, and I never order a taxi in advance at the pier.

M.

Yellow cab is the only company allowed to take people into Seattle.

This information is INCORRECT !!

Yes, Yellow Cab has the airport contract but, ANY cab company can pick up and drop off at Seatac! The contract means that Yellow Cab is the only company that can stage their cars at the airport, therefore the taxi line in the Seatac garage is all Yellow Cab vehicles.

To be honest, it's much easier if you have a reservation with a different company. If you use Yellow Cab, the taxi line is a bit of a schlepp with luggage. You collect your luggage at baggage claim, go up a level to the skybridge, cross the bridge into the garage, then go down a level. However, if you have a reservation with another vendor, the driver will wait off property .... you call when you have your luggage, they'll tell you their car number and will pick you up right at the curb within minutes!

STILA Towncar has the car service contract with Seatac so they have an assortment of vehicles in the garage. Their kiosk sign says $45 to downtown. They will pick you up curbside, as will any other car service.

I think Yellow Cab is about $40 downtown. There's a flat rate company that charges $29 to downtown http://www.flatrateforhire.com

If you reserve a handicap car with Yellow Cab, please ensure that they will come to the curb for you. You don't want to be going to the taxi line.

http://www.portseattle.org/Sea-Tac/Parking-and-Transportation/Ground-Transportation/Pages/Taxis-and-Limos.aspx

Edited by mapleleaves
seatac link

STILA Towncar has the car service contract with Seatac so they have an assortment of vehicles in the garage. Their kiosk sign says $45 to downtown. They will pick you up curbside, as will any other car service.

Oh? You've given me an idea that may solve my problem.

My cruise is ending in Vancouver, and I plan to fly home from Seattle the next day. I plan to stay overnight at an airport hotel that has a shuttle.

I believe my bus will drop everyone off at Gate 00; I know the hotel shuttles don't go there. I would need a wheelchair to get to the taxi line/shuttle area, and since I'm not coming in on a flight I don't see how that can be arranged.

So, after that long-winded lead, my question is, could I hire a taxi in advance to pick me up at the gate where the bus lets me off?

Getting from the bus to the hotel is the only kink in my plan right now.

Thanks for the help.

My cruise is ending in Vancouver, and I plan to fly home from Seattle the next day. I plan to stay overnight at an airport hotel that has a shuttle.

I believe my bus will drop everyone off at Gate 00; I know the hotel shuttles don't go there. I would need a wheelchair to get to the taxi line/shuttle area, and since I'm not coming in on a flight I don't see how that can be arranged.

So, after that long-winded lead, my question is, could I hire a taxi in advance to pick me up at the gate where the bus lets me off?

Thanks for the help.

All airports including SEATAC regulate where the Shuttles, Taxis, Limos and Personal Vehicles can pick of passengers. Here's the link to the map with legend that shows all locations. http://www.portseattle.org/Sea-Tac/Maps-and-Directions/Pages/Ground-Transportation.aspx

If you scroll over the icons shown by Gate 00 it will tell you what companies are allowed to pick up/drop off there. If appears that for taxis and hotel shuttles you have to go to the garage area.

Thanks for the help.

You might want to check with the hotel to see if the shuttle could swing by Gate 00 to pick you up. That 'Gate" is at the far end of the terminal and is dedicated space for loading and unloading large buses. I'm sure they don't want that space clogged with other vehicles who are just hanging around, but if you have your luggage and are ready to go I don't see why the shuttle couldn't swing in there to pick you up.

If the hotel shuttle can't or won't. YES, a taxi can pick you up at Gate 00. Yellow Cab is stationed at the airport, but any cab company can pick you up as long as you have a reservation.

Thank you for the helpful information. I'm feeling hopeful now that I can pull this transfer off! :) I'll follow up on the link, and making a reservation for some means of transport.

I know the last time I stayed at this hotel I needed to go from the hotel to Gate 00, and the shuttle couldn't drop me off there. They did make wheelchair arrangements for me, though. But since I'm going in the other direction this time, I don't want to plan on that.

Thank you for the helpful information. I'm feeling hopeful now that I can pull this transfer off! :) I'll follow up on the link, and making a reservation for some means of transport.

I know that Yellow Cab will pick up at Gate00 so I'm sure the others will too. Just verify when you make the reservation. Have a great trip!

I realize you have your hotel already picked but this might be an option. We stayed at the LaQuinta near the airport. Fantastic family restaurant within walking/scootering distance across the street.

The car company sent 2 vans and one car to pick up our group of 8 and another group. Dropped us off at Pier 91. Then had transportation back to hotel or airport. It was ready and waiting for us when we came off the ship. Amazingly easy !

http://shuttleexpress.com/seattle/cruise-transfers/

Have a great time in Alaska.