Carry on baggage only?

Buckcruise

Thank you all for your input! No shaming done ;-)

I am also looking into the USPS Priority Mail if it fits it ships boxes. If I don't have room I can mail souvenirs home.

I often carry the flat rate boxes and some tape (if in US) to mail things home. Have mailed home dirty laundry so could keep souvenirs in my possessions. Learned that trick from a fellow tourist in Alaska and have been very grateful! Out of country, just have to hope I find room in the suitcase!

I received as a gift the packing folders/sleeve that are nice as they will keep things organized and dry if need behttps://www.amazon.com/Travelon-Packing-Envelopes-Clear-Assorted/dp/B001CZP2W8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484062613&sr=8-1&keywords=%2FTravelon-Packing-Envelopes-Assorted-Size

Those look quite nice: lightweight, see-through, and all those sizes! I may have to get a set for things that are more "permanently packed". Thanks for the Amazon link!

The real danger at security is walking away without something! Like your phone! (Don't ask how I know.) Or having something from a 'tray' be snatched out by the black plastic flaps on the x-ray box. Again, I learned the hard way (favorite pair of reading glasses!) to tuck everything IN to those trays.

• 3 weeks later...

Since we'll be flying from cold to warm to warmer, I didn't include the things I'll be wearing on the plane, but here's what I managed to test pack in carry-on (Briggs & Riley CX expandable 22" roller and LL Bean Stowaway Daypack) for our upcoming cruise on the NCL Epic with 300+ of our closest friends. Here's the text from my recent Facebook post. And yes, there are a lot of weird items but we have a lot of group events planned :D Planning on buying sunscreen and discarding before we fly home. Mike's list was similarly long and he uses an eBags roller. We'll be doing some extra time in and around Orlando on either end and will send a bit to the cruise laundry mid-cruise.

Mikey and I challenged ourselves to do our next cruise with only a carry-on and a personal item (backpack) each. We decided to do a test pack today. Using two packing cubes and a packing folder, I didn't have to edit a single item from my ridiculous packing list and I even have room for another caftan. It can be done! So long as you have some time hit a UPS store post-cruise to ship souvenirs home. :D

2 pair shorts

1 swim trunk

1 pair travel pants

1 swim shirt

9 tees

2 collared shirts

6 short socks

7 underwear

flip-flops

caftan

wigs x2

inflatable wig stand

light-up-the-night tambourine

glow necklaces

glow bracelets

glow rings

sunglasses

ball cap

turban

laundry bag

toothbrush

toothpaste

deodorant

eyeglass cleaning supplies

scrubby sponge

passport

global entry card

license

credit cards

cash for tips

laptop

Kindle

Phone

NC headphones

chargers

power cube

I am doing carry on for my 5 day cruise on Navigator this Sunday.

I have never done a carry on for a cruise so this will be interesting, and potentially money saving.

Since I don't do formal nights, I will skip dresses and fancy shoes although I am packing two pairs of foldable flats that can double as dress shoes.

Going through the thread, alot of posters remarked about weight added by packing cubes. Have you tried Spectre packing cubes from Eagle creek yet? Lighter than ziploc and waterproof. Have been using those for a few years and no complains as of such. I also use the spectre shoe bags.

I am doing carry on for my 5 day cruise on Navigator this Sunday.

I have never done a carry on for a cruise so this will be interesting, and potentially money saving.

Since I don't do formal nights, I will skip dresses and fancy shoes although I am packing two pairs of foldable flats that can double as dress shoes.

Going through the thread, alot of posters remarked about weight added by packing cubes. Have you tried Spectre packing cubes from Eagle creek yet? Lighter than ziploc and waterproof. Have been using those for a few years and no complains as of such. I also use the spectre shoe bags.

Anything extra adds weight and volume. I have yet to find a reason to use any sort of packing device. If you are using carry on, why do you need waterproof?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Anything extra adds weight and volume. I have yet to find a reason to use any sort of packing device. If you are using carry on, why do you need waterproof?

Because of many reasons. I have traveled so much and gotten my carry on or checked in baggage wet/open in unexpected conditions.

Spectre packs really dont add any weight and are excellent packing cubes.

Not to mention, carry on luggage has to be check in at the pier and between that and getting it back at your room, no idea what can be spilled on it especially people smuggling liquids in their luggage.

I don't necessarily need waterproof but the Specter packs offer that, so its a bonus.

1.5 and 2oz for the Spectre half and full cube. Does not add volume as they are made from very thin ripstop nylon and do not have rigid sides and takes on the shape of what you are putting in the cube. Keeps things in their place in the bag. Makes unpacking very easy - just take out the bag and put it in a drawer.

Why need waterproof if using carry on? Well, just because it is a carry on size does not mean you must carry it on. And, if you are walking somewhere with your carry on, you are not guaranteed a sunny day...But, hey, you are the master of the carry on, so you do not have to use these if you do not want to. But, those of us who are journeymen at the carryon may choose what we want without judgement ;)

I use packing cubes to keep my clothes organized in the bag. It also compresses then to take up less space. I had my bag flagged for search at the airport in 2015. Because my clothes and sundries were all in cubes or zip lock it took all of 60 seconds for them to look, and another 30 seconds for me to put everything back and close up the suitcase. If my clothes and such had been folded loose in the bag, would have taken a lot longer to put it back to rights

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I use packing cubes to keep my clothes organized in the bag. It also compresses then to take up less space. I had my bag flagged for search at the airport in 2015. Because my clothes and sundries were all in cubes or zip lock it took all of 60 seconds for them to look, and another 30 seconds for me to put everything back and close up the suitcase. If my clothes and such had been folded loose in the bag, would have taken a lot longer to put it back to rights

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yep that has been my experience as well.

I have been using packing cubes since close to a decade and been checked several times. It so easy to put everything back.

Because of many reasons. I have traveled so much and gotten my carry on or checked in baggage wet/open in unexpected conditions.

Not to mention, carry on luggage has to be check in at the pier and between that and getting it back at your room, no idea what can be spilled on it especially people smuggling liquids in their luggage.

I don't necessarily need waterproof but the Specter packs offer that, so its a bonus.

You don't have to give your carry on luggage to the porters to be put on the carts (maybe) to be crushed/spilled on/left in the rain/dropped in the sea/delayed an delivered long after you go to bed. If it fits through the security scanner before you check in, you can carry it on yourself. I do it every time. I believe the maximum dimensions are 24" wide x 16" tall, length isn't an issue. These dimensions are larger than max. allowable carry on size.

You don't have to give your carry on luggage to the porters to be put on the carts (maybe) to be crushed/spilled on/left in the rain/dropped in the sea/delayed an delivered long after you go to bed. If it fits through the security scanner before you check in, you can carry it on yourself. I do it every time. I believe the maximum dimensions are 24" wide x 16" tall, length isn't an issue. These dimensions are larger than max. allowable carry on size.

Thats interesting to know.

• 2 months later...

Our luggage did not reappear at the airport on our last cruise (the result of a baggage handlers strike at Amsterdam airport). My bag caught up with us on day 4 of a 1 week cruise and my wife got hers back 4 weeks after we got home. This year we are doing two cruises and are taking hand luggage only for both - having survived with nothing it will seem like luxury. As another comment said lots of helpful threads on taking hand luggage only . We plan to have anything we need laundered on the ships and my wife a taking tops etc which can be washed out and dry quickly in the cabin....

• 1 year later...

I'm quite happy to of found this thread , we always only travel with carry on luggage but was wondering if it would look strange turning up for cruise with so little luggage , but from what i read we wont be the only ones ,i have some travel vacum bags that takes the air out rolling them and gives me much more room.

So i take it that these suitcases we can take onboard ourselves ?and walk off with them on departure .

:)

I'm quite happy to of found this thread , we always only travel with carry on luggage but was wondering if it would look strange turning up for cruise with so little luggage , but from what i read we wont be the only ones ,i have some travel vacum bags that takes the air out rolling them and gives me much more room.

So i take it that these suitcases we can take onboard ourselves ?and walk off with them on departure .

:)

Yes, you can do carryon only. Bags have to fit through airport-type scanner. Keep in mind you have to keep with you until your cabin is available.