NYC... 1 day ... Anthem

Cruising4

Hello NYC'ers,

Please help critique and give advise for 1 day in NYC before our Anthem cruise on Feb. 19.

The current plan is to arrive at a Secaucus hotel from upstate NY around 11 am on Saturday. Drive or hotel shuttle to Secaucus Junction the NJT to Penn Station.

My initial plan had us staying in Jersey City but the I think the weekend trains leave us at World Trade and I found the subway maps overwhelming!

Seems the trains to Secaucus run more frequently and the hotels are cheaper than Hoboken.

Any suggestions for obtaining cheap tickets to a Broadway show? (TicketsNow or TKTS)

How far from Penn Station to a great deli? Any other suggestions for teens?

Thank you!

You can always get tickets at the TKTS booth in Times Square but tickets for matinees go on sale at 11am, so you need to be on line by 10am at the latest. The evening shows go on sale at 3pm. You need to be flexible as the tickets that are available vary. I always go with a first,second and third choice. You can go on the website to research what tickets have been available as some shows are never available at TKTS. (Lion King being the first one that comes to mind)

You may also enjoy one of the museums- the Metropolitan Museum of Art, MOMA, the Guggenheim , or Museum of Natural History. Go to Top of the Rock, Rockefeller Center for a fabulous view of the Empire State Building.

Hope you enjoy your day in the city.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Todaytix.com is great for tickets. Also, Google the shows you're interested in seeing, and search for lottery or rush ticket options.

It's super easy to get to Penn Station from Secaucus. Penn station itself is a bit of a cluster if you don't know where you're going - the signage is confusing. If you want to cabbit somewhere, just keep heading up toward the street level.

I serving The Met museum (MY FAV, & you pay what you can to enter). Natural History is cool, too. I'm a huge history buff so I personally love downtown/ Wall Street area. The World Trade building is pretty remarkable, as is the 9/11 Memorial, if you haven't been.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As much as I love TKTS, with such a short visit to NYC, I wouldn't spend time there--unless you want to see a "straight play" (as opposed to a musical) because the "play only" line is always short.

You can sign up at broadwaybox, playbill, and theatermania for discount codes you can use in advance.

What show do you want to see?

We ALWAYS use TKTS. The line looks long, but what's available is posted a few feet from the purchase window, so by the time you get to the window you just tell them how many tickets for which show. We've never been in line longer than 20 minutes. Well worth saving 50% of the ticket price.

Feb 18 is the first day of the President's Day school vacation week in New York City and many of the surrounding areas and states. I don't know if this would affect availability of tickets, but it is a 3 day holiday weekend.

But it does mean a lot of kids on board! We use Broadwaybox for discount tickets.

We are also a fan of TKTS, we see at least 3 shows every year via TKTS, get the app for this so you can see what is available before, as for a deli, I would do Junior's which is on Broadway between 44th and 45th which is only a couple of blocks from TKTS and most of the Broadway theatre's

Thanks everyone!

What shows would you recommend with two teen boys - 16 and 17. Of course, Hamilton is at top of the list but it would cost more than the cruise! They have expressed an interest in Book of Mormon. I would however, like to keep the tickets in the $80-ish range.

I was thinking of:

School of Rock

Cats

Lion King

Phantom

What shows would you recommend?

My parents live in Rockland county; we've been fortunate enough to visit the top sites like WTC, Intrepid and Museum of Natural History. Haven't been to the Met in about 30 years, that would be a great option - I think the boys might even appreciate the art!

Thank you

Went to "school of rock" earlier this year, with our niece same age she loved it, saw Cats years ago, other 2 are not on half price list at least not today. I think Teenagers would prefer School of Rock. Really liked "Something rotten" and "Beautiful" also "On your feet" , but with teenagers I would go with "school" or "Rotten"

Thanks everyone!

What shows would you recommend with two teen boys - 16 and 17. Of course, Hamilton is at top of the list but it would cost more than the cruise! They have expressed an interest in Book of Mormon. I would however, like to keep the tickets in the $80-ish range.

I was thinking of:

School of Rock

Cats

Lion King

Phantom

What shows would you recommend?

My parents live in Rockland county; we've been fortunate enough to visit the top sites like WTC, Intrepid and Museum of Natural History. Haven't been to the Met in about 30 years, that would be a great option - I think the boys might even appreciate the art!

Thank you

Highly recommend Aladdin or Matilda. Book of moron was hilarious if you don't mind toilet humor and every third word being f$@k,, lol

What do you mean by "good deli" i.e. Carnegie, Katz?

Highly recommend Aladdin or Matilda. Book of moron was hilarious if you don't mind toilet humor and every third word being f$@k,, lol

What do you mean by "good deli" i.e. Carnegie, Katz?

Carnegie is scheduled to close 12/31 ( hope it does not happen, still miss Stage)

Yes, a Kosher deli ... warm pastrami on rye with mustard ... OH MY. It's been decades since my last good sandwich.

I do not think Juniors is listed as Kosher but they have good pastrami etc, the 2 thinks I must have on our annual visits is pastrami and pizza and almost always do both at least twice

Carnegie Deli is closing December 31st. If you're looking for kosher-"style", try Artie's on Broadway & 86th, or 2nd Avenue Deli (33rd btw Lex & 3rd Ave), or there is always the awesome Katz's if you're willing to schlep downtown. Keep in mind I don't think any of these delis are kosher - just kosher style.

Some of the shows you mention are closing either in December or January, so double check playbill or theatremania. I know Matilda and Something Rotten are both closing January 1. Loved Book of Mormon. I've heard School of Rock is great for kids. Honestly never been a fan of Cats so can't comment on that. Phantom is a classic so I always recommend that. And of course everyone loves Lion King :)

Carnegie Deli is closing December 31st. If you're looking for kosher-"style", try Artie's on Broadway & 86th, or 2nd Avenue Deli (33rd btw Lex & 3rd Ave), or there is always the awesome Katz's if you're willing to schlep downtown. Keep in mind I don't think any of these delis are kosher - just kosher style.

Some of the shows you mention are closing either in December or January, so double check playbill or theatremania. I know Matilda and Something Rotten are both closing January 1. Loved Book of Mormon. I've heard School of Rock is great for kids. Honestly never been a fan of Cats so can't comment on that. Phantom is a classic so I always recommend that. And of course everyone loves Lion King :)

2nd Ave. Deli is kosher:

http://www.2ndavedeli.com/about/kosher-certification/