Best Bangkok hotel location

jmlh

On our cruise next February, we are considering taking the Celebrity transportation in/out of Bangkok and doing an overnight on our own. For those who have done this previously, where would you stay? We are looking at the Eastin Grand Sathorn (Silom-Sathorn), The Renaissance (Siam Square-Ratchaprasong) and Casa Nithra (Old Town - Khao San). The first two have access to the BTS but the old town location is in close proximity to places we want to visit such as the Grand Palace. In addition, we would like to do an evening dinner cruise. Obviously our time will be limited so we want to utilize it appropriately.

We are just in the initial planning stages so all information & suggestions gratefully accepted!!

We stayed overnight in the hotel ibis on the river. Cheap clean and close to the night market and other attractions. We did a 2 day tour, were picked up from the ship and dropped back off, saw sights in Bangkok day 1, day 2 Summer palace and ay.utthaya. Great trip.

On our cruise next February, we are considering taking the Celebrity transportation in/out of Bangkok and doing an overnight on our own. For those who have done this previously, where would you stay? We are looking at the Eastin Grand Sathorn (Silom-Sathorn), The Renaissance (Siam Square-Ratchaprasong) and Casa Nithra (Old Town - Khao San). The first two have access to the BTS but the old town location is in close proximity to places we want to visit such as the Grand Palace. In addition, we would like to do an evening dinner cruise. Obviously our time will be limited so we want to utilize it appropriately.

We are just in the initial planning stages so all information & suggestions gratefully accepted!!

The Sheraton Royal Orchid is directly next to the docks where the dinner cruises leave from. You can walk at night which is something you really shouldn't be doing from any of the others. There is also a very small specialty mall there that has some interesting items-I went wild buying "elephant paintings" one time when I was in Bangkok. They are cheap and very unique. Everyone I gave them to loved them.

The hotel has a VERY good tour desk in the first floor lobby. And most of the package specials include breakfast, which has everything you could possibly want to eat.

Two hotels down is the public transport long tail boat docks (walking distance) and the BTS. The Sheraton has their own boat for transport to the BTS.

JMHO, but stay out of Khao San. FILLED with backpackers, scammers, dodgy tourist agencies, etc. etc. This is where the really bad tourist buses leave for Cambodia from. Backpacker city.

Check out LateRooms. Used to be AsiaRooms and I have used them extensively for business travel hotel rooms in Asia and the Middle East. They sometimes have great package deals for hotel and breakfast. I have stayed at the Peninsula across the river from the Sheraton ( for a long time, Bangkok Pen rated the #3 hotel in the WORLD-now only #13 due to all the boutique properties that have been built recently) for $120 including a huge breakfast buffet. Can't beat that.

Enjoy!!!

Absolutely agree with Greatam.

Sheraton Royal Orchid is right by River City pier - ferries, long-tail boats, river & canal excursions. The river is a quick & cheap way to get to various venues such as the Royal Palace & Wat Arun - especially since roads can get clogged. Fab river views from rooms & from the drinks terrace, & there's always plenty of river traffic to watch. Cheap rooms are very small (I'm an expert on cheap rooms :o) but perfectly OK for a night or two.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Thanks for all your responses. It is always great to hear from others who have experienced a city and... we do not want to make a mistake in hotel location. The Sheraton does look nice - will have to keep an eye on prices.

Thanks for all your responses. It is always great to hear from others who have experienced a city and... we do not want to make a mistake in hotel location. The Sheraton does look nice - will have to keep an eye on prices.

How much were you planning to pay? I can see rooms in February at the Sheraton on two or three sites (Asiarooms being one of them) for $134 prepaid as the least expensive with a junior suite at $188. The junior suite includes breakfast.

If you don't need the couch and chairs and extra space, you could book the cheaper room and just pay for breakfast (2014-breakfast buffet was about $16 in Thai Baht although you are getting close to the same price as the junior suite with breakfast included). Even on the Sheraton's own website for most of February, the cheapest room is $164. All rooms have river views and the large patio on the first floor is great for people and river watching.

Enjoy!!!

We have booked our hotel for this December in Bangkok. We have been to Bangkok before many times.

The hotel is called Baan K managed by Briston. It's very central to everything.

It's like a hotel with a condo feeling to it.

The rating are pretty good on Tripadvisor http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293916-d1957220-Reviews-Baan_K_Residence_by_Bliston-Bangkok.html and so is the price. We booked a studio and that's big enough for the 2 of us. It has everything that a hotel would have and more.

Edited by danny8826

My wife and I just returned from Bangkok--not off a cruise. We have been going to Thailand for almost 10 years.

I always recommend staying by the river--The Shearaton is nice!! If you can afford it the Shangri La is a great hotel right by the river and a Sky Train stop.

Really appreciate all your responses as we are continuing to look. It appears that the river is a great location. However, price is a factor as we do not want to go over $200 Canadian as this is an extra night.

• 2 weeks later...

We are doing an overnight during our November cruise. We will be doing a guided tour, so I asked the tour company for opinions on the various hotels that appealed to me from Trip Advisor. They suggested the Silom or (where we will book) the Eastin Grand Sathorn. Prices for the Eastin Grand Sathorn are about USD 125

We are doing an overnight during our November cruise. We will be doing a guided tour, so I asked the tour company for opinions on the various hotels that appealed to me from Trip Advisor. They suggested the Silom or (where we will book) the Eastin Grand Sathorn. Prices for the Eastin Grand Sathorn are about USD 125

Thanks for your input. I did find a good price for the Eastin Grand Sathorn & so booked it. Although we did want to stay on the river, the hotels were much more expensive and of course we will be spending time on the river during the day. Transportation to/from this hotel appears to be very good.

Does your tour company pick you up from the ship or will you use ship transportation to get into Bangkok?

Thanks for your input. I did find a good price for the Eastin Grand Sathorn & so booked it. Although we did want to stay on the river, the hotels were much more expensive and of course we will be spending time on the river during the day. Transportation to/from this hotel appears to be very good.

Does your tour company pick you up from the ship or will you use ship transportation to get into Bangkok?

They will pick us up at the ship. We are normally not guided tour people, but the time constraints with cruises make me nervous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 6 months later...

We will be doing the same as you, ship docking in Laem Chabang for two days in January. We also have booked at the Eastin Grand Sathorn, due to it's location, close to the BTS, as well as the write ups on tripadvisor. How did you find the hotel? Was it all you hoped for?

• 3 weeks later...
We will be doing the same as you, ship docking in Laem Chabang for two days in January. We also have booked at the Eastin Grand Sathorn, due to it's location, close to the BTS, as well as the write ups on tripadvisor. How did you find the hotel? Was it all you hoped for?

I found it on TripAdvisor. We were there last week and it was great. Perfect location next to the Skytrain. Nice large room. An incredible pool and pool bar. Lavish breakfast.

I definitely recommend it.

I found it on TripAdvisor. We were there last week and it was great. Perfect location next to the Skytrain. Nice large room. An incredible pool and pool bar. Lavish breakfast.

I definitely recommend it.

Very happy to hear that you were pleased with the hotel. Just a couple more months and we will be there! Did you have dinner at the hotel or go out?

Jan

Very happy to hear that you were pleased with the hotel. Just a couple more months and we will be there! Did you have dinner at the hotel or go out?

Jan

We ate from street vendors near Patpong Market. T was underwhelming. I wish we had stuck to our original plan of dinner at a restaurant called Nalin Kitchen (recommended on Trip Advisor and by our tour company).

• 3 weeks later...

For those who have already done this can you please offer some advice.(I have also posted on the RCI board)

We will be arriving at Laem Chabang on Mariner OS in January with an overnight stop. We would like to go to Bangkok to stay in a hotel overnight and then return to the ship the next day. RCI has a shore excursion that includes overnight in BKK but this is very expensive and also includes touring which we do not want, having visited the city before. My questions are:

1. I assume that we can do this and make our own arrangements - am I correct?

2. Do I need to contact RCI and let them know before we sail and what information do they need?

3. We will need our passports for the hotel check in. Can we collect them from Guest Services and return them the next day?

4. Thailand has a visa on entry. Will the ship do this before we arrive or do we need to wait till after? (which means we can't collect the passports till after we dock)

With lots of thanks in advance.

We have stayed at McGallery Vie Hotel two years ago and Novatel Ploenchit last year. We were very pleased with both. They are close to the canal where you can catch a commuter boat and very handy to the rapid transit line.

We found both very good.

Cannot comment on best since that is such a relative term. We did five nights at the Novotel last year. Everything was perfect and we had a fabulous deal by booking/paying in advance-non refundable. We got both offers through our Accor Hotels membership.

This year we will be staying (on points) at the Renaissance Ratchaprasong (few blocks from the Novotel Ploenchit).

We usually arrive late at night after a 20 hour air journey so we like a nice place to crash for a few days before heading off to beach areas with more humble accommodation.

Edited by iancal

We like the riverside hotels - the hotels often have a shuttle boat that takes you to Taksim Sathong which has the Skytrain. The view of the river traffic is a bonus. Chatrium Riverside is one of those that charges in local currency not $US and is quite a bit cheaper. This time (as it's only one night) we are at the Intercontinental on points. The location will be OK for what we want to do.

Edited by Aussieflyer

For those who have already done this can you please offer some advice.(I have also posted on the RCI board)

We will be arriving at Laem Chabang on Mariner OS in January with an overnight stop. We would like to go to Bangkok to stay in a hotel overnight and then return to the ship the next day. RCI has a shore excursion that includes overnight in BKK but this is very expensive and also includes touring which we do not want, having visited the city before. My questions are:

1. I assume that we can do this and make our own arrangements - am I correct?

2. Do I need to contact RCI and let them know before we sail and what information do they need?

3. We will need our passports for the hotel check in. Can we collect them from Guest Services and return them the next day?

4. Thailand has a visa on entry. Will the ship do this before we arrive or do we need to wait till after? (which means we can't collect the passports till after we dock)

With lots of thanks in advance.

Did it last month with Celebrity

1. Yes, you can make your own transportation arrangements

2. No, you don't have to tell them ahead of time

3. Celebrity had it set up so everyone staying over could collect their passports in the morning and return them the next day

4. I don't think we needed visas for Thailand. The only one I got on the trip was Vietnam, which Celebrity did organize onboard.

The only time we needed a visa for Thailand was when we stayed for more than 30 days. Last year it was 30 days less a day. No issue, showed our passport, said staying 30 days, and we were whisked through w/ no visa or special entry requirement.

This may depend on your passport. We travel on Canadian passports.

Edited by iancal

Did it last month with Celebrity

1. Yes, you can make your own transportation arrangements

2. No, you don't have to tell them ahead of time

3. Celebrity had it set up so everyone staying over could collect their passports in the morning and return them the next day

4. I don't think we needed visas for Thailand. The only one I got on the trip was Vietnam, which Celebrity did organize onboard.

Thanks so much for you post. I'm a bit of a Celebrity cruiser but it's RCI this time and just not sure what arrangements will be like. I will check about passports with Guest services when we board. I don't really like the idea of only having a copy of the photo page.

Last time we flew into BKK to catch the Orient Express train so it was a bit different.

We are considering the millennium hilton, is this in the same area as the Sheraton and what are your thoughts on the Hilton?

Don't know the Hilton but it's directly opposite the Sheraton Royal Orchid, on the other side of the river.

Most of the city & sights are on the Royal Orchid side of the river but there is a cross-river ferry at this point, or the nearest bridge is about a 20-minute walk away.

Both are riverside, but because the Hilton is on the inside of a slight bend in the river the view won't be so panoramic. I'd also rate the Royal Orchid more convenient.

JB :)