Brimstone Hill Fortress

Germany's_coming_1980

We are going to be on St. Kitts pretty soon and are very excited as this is our first time in the Caribbean:)...

We are going to do the railway in the morning, ending at 11:30.

I was planning on taking a taxi to the Brimstone Hill Fortress afterwards. How long does the taxi drive from the port area to the Brimstone Hill Fortress take? Will both be manageable in one day? The ship is leaving at 5:30pm.

We've been to Brimstone with Thenford Grey's tour so I can't tell you how long it takes to get there, maybe 1/2 hour, not sure. However you should have plenty of time to see the fort and get back to the ship with just a taxi tour. It's one of those "don't miss" sites.

Edited by erniesband

If it's pretty soon, I would like to know how it worked out.

We will be there by the 30th of december and we plan to do the

railway as well. I was there alone this march and I did the railway already,

but this time I bring along my parents and it's a really nice tour.

I would like to know if and how you did Brimstone Fortress.

Of course you'll see the Fortress from far away, when you will be driven by bus from the railway back to the ship but it's something else to see

it by walking through the remains.

So let us know, when you get back. Thanks for it in advance.

As erniesband wrote it's possible to do it as I think you will need no more then 2 hours to do it (just count with 3 hours and you'll be alright).

• 2 months later...

I posted this on another thread but, how hard would the Brimstone Fortress tour be with a broken big toe. (wearing boot, one crutch)? Have already booked this and it is almost too late to cancel. Besides I really want to see this.

I posted this on another thread but, how hard would the Brimstone Fortress tour be with a broken big toe. (wearing boot, one crutch)? Have already booked this and it is almost too late to cancel. Besides I really want to see this.

You have to walk up a LOT of stairs to get to the fortress from the parking area. But if you take your time I think you will be able to do ok. Like most forts you have to be somewhat mobile to really see everything. It is well worth the visit in my opinion and the views from the fort are amazing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
You have to walk up a LOT of stairs to get to the fortress from the parking area. But if you take your time I think you will be able to do ok. Like most forts you have to be somewhat mobile to really see everything. It is well worth the visit in my opinion and the views from the fort are amazing.

Agree, there are a lot of steps - my boyfriend had a bad knee and could not get up the steps. However, the parking lot has excellent views with no walking hardly at all.

In port from 8-5 does any one think we can do the fort and still get beach time in (first choice is south Friars).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You should be able to do both - seeing the fort only takes about 30-45 minutes and is not far from port.

• 1 month later...
I do not see where anyone has yet provided taxis fare information, anyone know what it might cost?

We had a group of 5, walked off the ship, found a taxi driver by the name of Greg who charged us $15 each for the ride to Brimstone, waited for an hour as we toured and then back to the town square. Entry fee was $10 US per person.

I took some kitty treats for the cats that live there, gave them to the guard at the lower gate.

• 7 months later...
I do not see where anyone has yet provided taxis fare information, anyone know what it might cost?

Hi,

Hope you enjoyed your cruise! :)

We are going to be stopping in St. Kitts on our Carnival Dream Journey Cruise in January. Just wondering how it worked out for you? Were you able to just get a cab from the pier on your own up to Brimstone Hill Fortress? What was the cost and how much time would you recommend for this? We were in St Kitts last winter but missed seeing the fortress. This time we are in port from 8am-4pm and hope to head to Shipwreck Beach at South Friar's Bay as well afterwards, with a quick stop on the way back to see the amazing view again from Timothy Hill look-out.

Thank you

Hi,

Hope you enjoyed your cruise! :)

We are going to be stopping in St. Kitts on our Carnival Dream Journey Cruise in January. Just wondering how it worked out for you? Were you able to just get a cab from the pier on your own up to Brimstone Hill Fortress? What was the cost and how much time would you recommend for this? We were in St Kitts last winter but missed seeing the fortress. This time we are in port from 8am-4pm and hope to head to Shipwreck Beach at South Friar's Bay as well afterwards, with a quick stop on the way back to see the amazing view again from Timothy Hill look-out.

Thank you

We were just on Carnival Liberty this past September and did the same things you want to do on your Dream cruise. We were in port from 8-5. We went to Brimestone Hill Fortress in the morning (it opens at 9:30AM) and we got there just as they opened. We spent about an hour there then went to Shipwreck beach for a few hours after that. We arrived at the beach at 11:00AM and stayed till 2PM, back at port at 3PM.

To do this, we went to the taxi/tour stand (they are out in front of the cruise center with a sign), and told the guy what we wanted to do. He told us what it would cost for the day (we thought it was reasonable) and hooked us up with a driver. The driver was really good. He waited at Brimstone Fortress while we went through and took us straight to Shipwreck after that. He asked what time we wanted to be picked up, told us where he'd be, and he was there when we were ready to leave.

Cost: Brimestone Hill Fortress is about a half hour from port. It cost $28.00 for both of us, each way, with a total being $56.00. There is also a charge of $10.00, per person, for entrance to the fort. So, total for the fort was $76.00. The charge to Shipwreck beach was $8.00, round trip. Now this is where my memory escapes, can't remember if it was $8.00 per person or if that covered both of us. I'm thinking it was $8.00 for both, round trip. Our total was just over $80.00, for the day and we had a driver who insured we were taken care of. We also gave him a nice tip because we felt he was great.

I'm pretty sure these are the base rates, but it seems that you have the same plans that we did. We also had a stop at Timothy Hill, where you can see both the Caribbean and Atlantic sides of St. Kitts. Views from the fortress are spectacular. It was clear the day we were there and we were able to see St. Eustatius, Saba, and also St. Maarten & St. Barth's in the distance.

We did get a business card from our driver that day and can pass his information along, if you're interested. We asked for it, it wasn't like he was trying to promote business.

We were just on Carnival Liberty this past September and did the same things you want to do on your Dream cruise. We were in port from 8-5. We went to Brimestone Hill Fortress in the morning (it opens at 9:30AM) and we got there just as they opened. We spent about an hour there then went to Shipwreck beach for a few hours after that. We arrived at the beach at 11:00AM and stayed till 2PM, back at port at 3PM.

To do this, we went to the taxi/tour stand (they are out in front of the cruise center with a sign), and told the guy what we wanted to do. He told us what it would cost for the day (we thought it was reasonable) and hooked us up with a driver. The driver was really good. He waited at Brimstone Fortress while we went through and took us straight to Shipwreck after that. He asked what time we wanted to be picked up, told us where he'd be, and he was there when we were ready to leave.

Cost: Brimestone Hill Fortress is about a half hour from port. It cost $28.00 for both of us, each way, with a total being $56.00. There is also a charge of $10.00, per person, for entrance to the fort. So, total for the fort was $76.00. The charge to Shipwreck beach was $8.00, round trip. Now this is where my memory escapes, can't remember if it was $8.00 per person or if that covered both of us. I'm thinking it was $8.00 for both, round trip. Our total was just over $80.00, for the day and we had a driver who insured we were taken care of. We also gave him a nice tip because we felt he was great.

I'm pretty sure these are the base rates, but it seems that you have the same plans that we did. We also had a stop at Timothy Hill, where you can see both the Caribbean and Atlantic sides of St. Kitts. Views from the fortress are spectacular. It was clear the day we were there and we were able to see St. Eustatius, Saba, and also St. Maarten & St. Barth's in the distance.

We did get a business card from our driver that day and can pass his information along, if you're interested. We asked for it, it wasn't like he was trying to promote business.

Thanks so much for the info. It sounds just like what we would like to do for our day in St Kitts. Do you know if the rates are always per person for the cab, or if you get a better deal if you share the ride with a couple more people? If you don't mind passing me along the name of the driver you had, we can try to book something in advance or ask for him by name that day. At least we will know we are getting a friendly, reliable driver.

Thanks! :)

Looks like we are interested in the same things Holly! I would also love the info. you have on your driver for here. :)

Thanks so much for the info. It sounds just like what we would like to do for our day in St Kitts. Do you know if the rates are always per person for the cab, or if you get a better deal if you share the ride with a couple more people? If you don't mind passing me along the name of the driver you had, we can try to book something in advance or ask for him by name that day. At least we will know we are getting a friendly, reliable driver.

Thanks! :)

I wiill be happy to share. Again, he was with the group of taxi's at the cruise center. Our driver's name is Vernon Taylor and he's with Taylor and Delaney Taxi Service and Tour Operators. On the business card that Vernon gave to me (I asked for it), it states that they are "Government Certify Tour Operators".

Vernon's email: vernon23@hotmail.com

Two cell numbers listed:

869-663-8073

869-663-9490

There is also an email for Delaney (don't know his/her first name)

delaneyy2k@hotmail.com

In case Vernon is wondering how you got his information, you can tell him "Holly from the Liberty cruise in September". I did ask for his business card since we have friends who are thinking about a cruise and I let him know I'd recommend them.

TMW67, I know, we do have interests in the same things. I really hope you enjoy your cruise as much as we enjoyed ours.

SonshineK23, to answer your specific question. I'm not 100% positive on this since the rate we were given was for two people. We also wanted to go to Cockleshell Beach for an hour but that would have been $28.00 from the port, each way. We still wanted to go to Shipwreck in addition but decided to skip on Cockleshell Beach because that would have put us over budget.

When we were in St. Kitts in 2013 while on another cruise, we just went to Cockleshell Beach but they wanted to fill the cab. There were other stops. Since there was a group, it was $7.00 per person, or $14.00 total for both of us. So those charges may be the flat cab fare.

I hope this is helpful to both of you.

Holly

Thanks again Holly, you've been a lifesaver! :)

Thank you. These are things we wanted to do and someone else helped me with time and estimates of costs and if both were doable or not. I was so glad for their help since we had a great day. And again, I sure hope you enjoy your time like we did.

I wiill be happy to share. Again, he was with the group of taxi's at the cruise center. Our driver's name is Vernon Taylor and he's with Taylor and Delaney Taxi Service and Tour Operators. On the business card that Vernon gave to me (I asked for it), it states that they are "Government Certify Tour Operators".

Vernon's email: vernon23@hotmail.com

Two cell numbers listed:

869-663-8073

869-663-9490

There is also an email for Delaney (don't know his/her first name)

delaneyy2k@hotmail.com

In case Vernon is wondering how you got his information, you can tell him "Holly from the Liberty cruise in September". I did ask for his business card since we have friends who are thinking about a cruise and I let him know I'd recommend them.

TMW67, I know, we do have interests in the same things. I really hope you enjoy your cruise as much as we enjoyed ours.

SonshineK23, to answer your specific question. I'm not 100% positive on this since the rate we were given was for two people. We also wanted to go to Cockleshell Beach for an hour but that would have been $28.00 from the port, each way. We still wanted to go to Shipwreck in addition but decided to skip on Cockleshell Beach because that would have put us over budget.

When we were in St. Kitts in 2013 while on another cruise, we just went to Cockleshell Beach but they wanted to fill the cab. There were other stops. Since there was a group, it was $7.00 per person, or $14.00 total for both of us. So those charges may be the flat cab fare.

I hope this is helpful to both of you.

Holly

Great...very helpful. I will look him up. Thanks so much Holly! :)

When will you be in St Kitts TMW67? We are there Jan. 17th on the Carnival Dream. I also got surfing around on CC and found some info in a Thread on Grand Turks that you had posted about too. Have you already been there or is that for an upcoming cruise as well? We were thinking of just a 'free' beach day close to the ship, but now that I heard about the golf carts and/or bike rentals, that sound like it may be fun for part of the day as well.

Thanks again for sharing all the info...CC is great! :)

SonshineK23 we will be there in May, so you will get to enjoy the beautiful town before us! :) We've been on the Dream & LOVED it!! Grand Turk was in another itinerary that we were looking into before this one, so as of right now, we won't be going there. Hope you enjoy your cruise! Not much longer for you! :)

• 2 weeks later...

One more question... (before contacting Vernon)

If you have been to both Cockleshell and Shipwreck, which would you recommend?

We have been to Shipwreck and really liked it for snorkeling, but now are thinking of trying Cockleshell. We are only in port 8am-4pm though, so wondering about having enough time since it is further away, if we still want to fit in Brimstone Hill Fortress in the morning.

Decisions-Decisions!