Shipwreck beach recent visit? chair availabilty?

SugarStar00

We haven't been since 12/2013 but plan to go back this November. It was $16 one way for a taxi for 3, $10 for 2 chairs with cover, the beach is small but we were the only people there until about lunchtime. We got off the ship in the morning and went right there. When we were leaving at 1, there were probably 20-30 people there. There is a small shallow reef to do some off shore snorkeling, but be sure to go into the water on the left side and swim to your right foe the reef and then swim back to where you entered. My husband didn't do that last time and got pricked by a sea urchin. It is a nice relaxing place, we like that kind of vibe and the monkeys and mongoose were an added bonus. No music that I can remember.

• 2 weeks later...

We were just there two weeks ago and we were the only ship in port the day we were there. We had no problem getting any loungers at Shipwreck and there was no charge to use the loungers (yes, we were surprised), but we were sure to buy drinks there. There were others there but it never felt crowded. It's a very small beach (black sand) but the loungers are under palapas that have large nails in them to hang your beach bag. I don't recall any music but our loungers were down from the bar towards the one end. Someone else on our cruise who was also there told me it had eroded since the last time they were there, which was two years ago. I don't know of the exact cab fare since we got a cab to take us to Brimestone Fortress first. I'll attach a few pics so you can "see" what it's like. We really liked it.

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

Edited by pghsteelerfan

We were just there two weeks ago and we were the only ship in port the day we were there. We had no problem getting any loungers at Shipwreck and there was no charge to use the loungers (yes, we were surprised), but we were sure to buy drinks there. There were others there but it never felt crowded. It's a very small beach (black sand) but the loungers are under palapas that have large nails in them to hang your beach bag. I don't recall any music but our loungers were down from the bar towards the one end. Someone else on our cruise who was also there told me it had eroded since the last time they were there, which was two years ago. I don't know of the exact cab fare since we got a cab to take us to Brimestone Fortress first. I'll attach a few pics so you can "see" what it's like. We really liked it.

Wow thanks so much! Did you happen to have lunch there? The pics are great, those chairs sure are close to the water!

Wow thanks so much! Did you happen to have lunch there? The pics are great, those chairs sure are close to the water!

No, we just had a few drinks there (each) since hubby prefers to eat "for free" once back on the ship. There were others just hanging out up in the restaurant/bar area and I could tell some were eating, but we were just passing through between the beach/restrooms. I'll attach a picture of the restaurant/bar area. There were plenty of tables and it appeared that many just stopped by to hang out up there throughout the day. The views from there were great.

With the chairs being close to the water, I'm guessing that's the erosion that was mentioned but it was nice that they had large nails in the palapas to hang belongings on so they don't get wet when high tide comes in. Many people may not prefer a beach like this, but I loved it and wish we could have had an other hour or two there and will definitely go back next time we're in St. Kitts. Even though it's a black sand beach, the water was gorgeous.

Shipwreck restaurant/bar

IMG_0310-1.jpg

Sorry to disagree. We went to Shipwreck last Feb, got out of our cab and looked around. The place was a mess; I the cabbie suggested that we let him drive us down the beach to Carabola, which better represented the beauty of his island. We did and had a great time, beautiful location and good bar and restaurant. BTW, the pictures above are not very appealing for a day at the beach

To each their own :)

Looks very inviting to me. I am looking forward to visiting. Restaurant / bar looks appealing and a fairly uncrowded beach sounds great. Thanks for sharing the pictures. I have read about sea urchins did you notice them to be a problem?

To each their own :)

Looks very inviting to me. I am looking forward to visiting. Restaurant / bar looks appealing and a fairly uncrowded beach sounds great. Thanks for sharing the pictures. I have read about sea urchins did you notice them to be a problem?

We were warned about them by our cab driver and at the hostess at the restaurant where we inquired about getting chairs, which I mentioned we free to use. There are two areas, a snorkeling side (on the right) and a swimming side. They were divided by a green marker with a yellow top, which is seen in the 2nd and 3rd pictures I posted. We mainly stayed in the swimming side and had water shoes on but I didn't see any. There were a few others out there, in bare feet, and they didn't seem to have a problem either. To be on the safe side, I'd recommend water shoes. I did snorkel for a bit in the snorkeling side and saw some there but I wasn't wading close to shore in that section.

Sorry to disagree. We went to Shipwreck last Feb, got out of our cab and looked around. The place was a mess; I the cabbie suggested that we let him drive us down the beach to Carabola, which better represented the beauty of his island. We did and had a great time, beautiful location and good bar and restaurant. BTW, the pictures above are not very appealing for a day at the beach

We also went to Carabola. Beautiful beach. I am not a fan of black sand. Also not a fan of such a small area of beach. Also I agree the restaurant and bar look a little "tired". All depends on what appeals to each of us. Enjoy whatever u decide.

It's ok, everyone is entitled to their opinion and is looking for something different. I don't particularly like the black sand beaches in pictures but it's kind of neat in person, I've been to St. Kitts before so it's not a shock. The chairs do look run down and I felt they were the same condition at cockleshell beach, (which we enjoyed just fine) but I prefer that then the overpriced "nicer" chairs down the beach where I've read getting a drink is nearly impossible! I will likely take a stroll to carambola and check it out though.

We were warned about them by our cab driver and at the hostess at the restaurant where we inquired about getting chairs, which I mentioned we free to use. There are two areas, a snorkeling side (on the right) and a swimming side. They were divided by a green marker with a yellow top, which is seen in the 2nd and 3rd pictures I posted. We mainly stayed in the swimming side and had water shoes on but I didn't see any. There were a few others out there, in bare feet, and they didn't seem to have a problem either. To be on the safe side, I'd recommend water shoes. I did snorkel for a bit in the snorkeling side and saw some there but I wasn't wading close to shore in that section.

The urchins make me leery. Maybe i'll try Reggae beach.

The urchins make me leery. Maybe i'll try Reggae beach.

We were at Reggae Beach (Cockleshell Beach) two years ago and really liked it there as well. There is definitely a lot more beach there and plenty of loungers, which I think were about $5.00 to use. Swimming areas are roped off and have sand bottoms, so you shouldn't have to worry about sea urchins. We wanted to try something different and closer to port this time since we went to the fort in the morning, so that's why we chose Shipwreck. I'd return to either one.

We were at Reggae Beach (Cockleshell Beach) two years ago and really liked it there as well. There is definitely a lot more beach there and plenty of loungers, which I think were about $5.00 to use. Swimming areas are roped off and have sand bottoms, so you shouldn't have to worry about sea urchins. We wanted to try something different and closer to port this time since we went to the fort in the morning, so that's why we chose Shipwreck. I'd return to either one.

Thanks!

My husband got pricked by a sea urchin here..he said it HURT and he went to the bathroom to pee on it, the little picker stayed in his palm for months. That said, we loved shipwreck and he won't try to swim ashore from the snorkeling area again 😆

If you are interested in concrete, modern facilities and high prices you go to Carabola. If you like the beach shack atmosphere then you go to Shipwreck. :D

I was there in November '14 and did not pay for the chairs, beer by the bucket was cheap and so was the nacho's.

Always wear water shoes even on sandy beaches. :) Also there are monkeys on the hills behind the bar just don't feed them.

Edited by caribsun

• 2 weeks later...

I found the beach and view of Carambola beautiful. The facilities were excellent , clean and the food was great. The concrete as someone mentioned is around the building and their patio. Thanks for the pictures of shipwreck, it made the decision easy for me. The beach difference is night and day.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a couple pictures from 2014 when we were there. There were 2 rows of beach chairs and there was more sand. There was not WiFi at the time, but the owner said they were waiting for it to be upgraded. They had signs showing where to enter the water and where the Sea Urchins were. They also had a large wooden platform about 50 yards out in the ocean to swim to and climb on.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

The Jerk Pork and Chicken were excellent.

ry%3D400