The upgrade fairy smiled on me today + clarification on new wine rules

So, my DW and I are taking our first cruise with RCI next month. We booked an inside room because we wanted to save money to afford other things on the cruise.

Well, on a whim I decided to call RCI to ask a question about the new wine on board without a corkage fee. I can confirm that "Jeff" in customer service did say effective immediately you could bring 2 750ml bottles of wine on board with no corkage fee.

After that he asked if there was anything else he could do for me, and I jokingly said "yeah, get me in an aft balcony for not much more money." Well low and behold if he didnt look in his system and see an AFT BALCONY he could put me in for only $80 more total!

So while it might not be a true "free upgrade" I was STOKED to get it. :):):)

Just had to share!

Thanks for listening.

Tim

So, my DW and I are taking our first cruise with RCI next month. We booked an inside room because we wanted to save money to afford other things on the cruise.

Well, on a whim I decided to call RCI to ask a question about the new wine on board without a corkage fee. I can confirm that "Jeff" in customer service did say effective immediately you could bring 2 750ml bottles of wine on board with no corkage fee.

After that he asked if there was anything else he could do for me, and I jokingly said "yeah, get me in an aft balcony for not much more money." Well low and behold if he didnt look in his system and see an AFT BALCONY he could put me in for only $80 more total!

Just had to share!

Thanks for listening.

Tim

Congratulations on your upgrade.

Just to clarify, but being able to bring 2 750ml bottles of wine (per cabin) on board has been in effect since November 1, 2012. The corkage fee has just recently been waived.

Edited by cruisenfever

Just had to share!

Thanks for listening.

Tim

Thank you for sharing both.

That's awesome! We're also going next month (on the Navigator) and booked the cheapest inside room we could. Well, as we're so close to sail date, prices dropped. I called an asked if we could be bumped up to an ocean view since those were showing at a lower price than we originally booked our inside for, and they did! I was thrilled! I may still call back and try for a balcony... shoot, if I can get it for such a low price like you, I would totally do that, too!

Congrats! You must of paid lots for that inside cabin.

Yeah we booked it a while back, either Jan or Dec of last year, no discounts etc and we were at 479 per person before taxes and fees. Apparently with the BOGO deal of something they were able to update the booking and make the changes.

I never would have thought to do that unless I read it here on CC. SO thank you all for that!

Hi we booked about 6 weeks ago paid about 450 pounds for each week each on our back to back on freedom , we leave 2 nov have tried to up grade to balcony which is on sale for less than our inside , our agent phoned and they wanted £600 each, feel very cross as even after a e-mail not even a reply , they won't speak on the phone either , we have cruised many time with RCCl and Celebrity and feel they let down the English cruiser by not allowing us the same upgrade chance...!!! Rant over lolll:mad:

Hi we booked about 6 weeks ago paid about 450 pounds for each week each on our back to back on freedom , we leave 2 nov have tried to up grade to balcony which is on sale for less than our inside , our agent phoned and they wanted £600 each, feel very cross as even after a e-mail not even a reply , they won't speak on the phone either , we have cruised many time with RCCl and Celebrity and feel they let down the English cruiser by not allowing us the same upgrade chance...!!! Rant over lolll:mad:

I feel your pain and frustration.

We sail on Allure next month and due to price drops a boardwalk balcony was priced less than we paid for an inside and a Central Park view.

Best our agent could get was an additional 418 to upgrade. RCI will not talk to you if you book through an agent, and UK agents don't go that extra mile like the US agents do.

Lessons have been leaned the hard way!

To the OP

Thanks for the clarification on the corkage fee. we just have to hope the ships have been notified of the policy change to avoid any embarrassment!

Edited by icsys

Yes don't think we will book with travel agent again that way at least you could talk to RCCl , they also omitted to inform us a large group would be on board (1600) on our first week !!! The upside in 11 days time we will be sailing to the caribbean :)

Just had to share!

Thanks for listening.

Tim

We are on the same sailing also sailing in an aft cabin...I managed to snag a coveted corner after...booked ours early in the year also.

Congrats!

31 DAYS!!!!!!!:D