.......idle jottings

ho-hum

Ho-Hum, enjoy your trip. I tried to see the itinerary online but I was too late, the ship has sailed.....

Thanks for your interest in our SD cruise. As you already know the itinerary, I will follow up on what we like etc. We are in our mid 50's (from OZ), so don't mind a bit of heat! We are not into excursions, unless someone tells us there is one "not to be missed". Normally when we travel we hit the ground running and assume on SD, we would go to the Ports early, walk everywhere, perhaps have lunch in town (?) then early to late arvo we would go back to SD for the afternoons. Usually we would just keep going but realise that being on SD may alter the way we do things.

I like the idea of going back for cocktails on SD but I'm not sure, that, after cocktails, I would be in the mood to go back into the town for dinner. I/we would most probably just want more cocktails. So that will be our dilemma. I guess we just go with the flo.

I look forward to hearing all about your SD experience from Venice to Rome (to Rome?) as I can't stop talking about our trip which is still more than a year's time away.

Happy and safe travels,

Fear not Millie, here is the itinerary:

Venice to Civitavecchia

Voyage Number 21525

From Date Jun 16, 2015

To Date Jun 27, 2015

Duration 11 days

Yacht SeaDream II

image.jpg.9e7402dd86ca8a8b33a5d5f55ded672a.jpg

Date Ports of Call Arrive Depart

Jun 16, 2015 Venice, Italy 2 PM - 4 PM (Embarkation) Evening

Jun 17, 2015 Opatija, Croatia Morning Afternoon

Jun 18, 2015 Sibenik, Croatia Morning Mid-Day

Jun 18, 2015 Hvar, Croatia Evening Overnight

Jun 19, 2015 Hvar, Croatia Late Evening

Jun 20, 2015 Dubrovnik, Croatia Morning Late Evening

Jun 21, 2015 Monopoli, Italy Morning Afternoon

Jun 22, 2015 Gallipoli, Italy Morning Afternoon

Jun 23, 2015 Taormina (Etna) Sicily, Italy Morning Late Evening

Jun 24, 2015 Lipari, Sicily, Italy Early Morning Mid-Day

Jun 24, 2015 Stromboli, Sicily, Italy Afternoon Late Evening

Jun 25, 2015 Amalfi, Italy Morning Afternoon

Jun 25, 2015 Capri, Italy Evening Overnight

Jun 26, 2015 Capri, Italy Afternoon

Jun 27, 2015 Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy Morning 8 AM - 10 AM (Disembarkation)

Ho hum, you've met your match. Is MACT your long lost brother?[/quote

Are not we all one another's brothers Grasshopper ?

Aaah the profundity.

Yes HH so enjoys the works of MACT and detects a clear similarity of conditioning and being brought up in a similar culture.

But there are the guys over the pond too who are great also.

The church bells are a ringing! Rejoice o’ Venetians… the restaurant wars are over!

“See that Mr Hum…he now go on big boat SeaDream far away” rejoiced a weary Antonio as he parked his heavy bulk on a creaking chair, poured himself a welcome snifter and commenced a tirade of woe on behalf of the harangued restaurateurs of Venice. “It’s my dream to see him go far away.

Da tables too close…how am I to make any money if I no put lots of guests in ma restaurant? No wanna sit outa side cause it raining. He come from England, always rain there. Too noisy, too hot, too much bad smell…I bet ze posh place he come from no so good too.

He tell of good food in Verona…Verona sperona…they too busy singing or painting to know a scaloppine from a saltimbocca. Makes fancy hotel book table for him…now have to find brown envelope for ten percent Luigi.

It so hard to make honest living. My cousin Stavros Nopayanytaxos in Athens says same. He work every day in his restaurant to pay to keep his lovely shiny big boat in harbour. Tourist no appreciate all sacrifice made to make their holiday happy.

And end of night…Mr Hum he pay in Euros!!! What good that?"

The tranquillity awaits aboard...may yourself and Blondie enjoy a great trip.

Haha.....thanks for the funny post together with your best wishes old chap.

HH has still another post in him also being irreverent (but completely fair) to a few Italians in the service industry.

Yes it is completely juvenile of Hum, so apologies but it is a coping mechanism at the sheer absurdity of some situations.

Pirate, haven't you yet figured out that ho-hum, MACT, Jim, Ragnar, and several others are the same person, a pimply teenager trolling the CC boards from his parents' basement?

Are we not simply all expressions of the One, Grasshoper ?

More profundity.....on a roll to-day.

Just where can you get stuff like this ?

And on a frigging backwater about cruising......

When we are all dead and gone, these offerings will be discovered and become like the "Dead sea scrolls"

And the Lord saith to the people's, yea it is wisest to booketh early to obtain the greater discounts.

Amen saith the people.

Ho-Hum, that is an amazing itinerary, wish that was what mine looked like next year. But still I am happy! I realise you are now busy enjoying your vacation but when you return could you firstly let me know how your day went with an overnight in Hvar. I see that is the only one and I am interested to see what you do, where you eat, either on the boat, in town, trying to guage how a day/night would be spent in an overnight stop, if you know what I mean. Obviously it would be your take on it but it will give me an idea. And other question, what do you do when it rains? Chest the bar all day?

Cheers, once again and have the most fabulous trip. I am enjoying all the banter going on here, stupid, serious and otherwise.

Millie

My God !

Leaving Venice and eating outside on Deck 4, the skies grew darker and darker.

Rumbling of far off thunder was heard to the South.

Tables either side of the two of us containing four fellow guests began edging their table further into the deck to escape a little rain under the protruding canopy of the deck above.

Then tables on the Southern side were vacated by other diners saying it was becoming really windy as table cloths began to lift and flap like they were demonically possessed.

Then the next table left.

The skies were now black and sheets of lightening were near continuous.

And then all hell broke loose.

It came down in sheets.

A huge bang jolted everyone. Then a flash so bright illumined the ship, the water, the sky even the heavens.

And again and again.

This was'nt the lovely little voyage planned, this was the descent into Hades for the worst sinners of all !

(Admittedly they were serving some very nice wine but you get Hum's point.).

Perhaps this was God's wicked plan to arrange all the sinners into one last earthly trip before the boat swirls down the plug hole of existence through the "U" bend gathering all the gunge of years of detritus on the way and plop into the vast seas of hell.

Thick, oil like, blackened waters, containing the emaciated wretches of sinners clinging to wreckage of various boats from aeons past

And still it is bucketing down. The curtains are open and the flashes are spectacular and near constant.

This lasted until 4.00am (no not precisely...dont get all pernickety with Hum).

Earlier in the day, our Belgian chums; yes you know them, the ones who visited us and we went on that Dom Perignon lunch in London. Well they had ended doing 21 days onboard (yes quite outrageous) and insisted on meeting up after they disembarked and before we embarked. We met up at the outside bar at Gritti Palace and after settling our bill and arranging a water taxi to the boat, we wandered outside where they were sitting with a bottle of DP05 at the ready.

We had a great time "catching up" and telling us of the characters onboard they had met.

3 bottles later we left.

The idiot water taxi driver got lost !

How can you get ruddy lost ?

Yes he wore all the gear, nice shades and he was chatting to his girl on the mobile, head cocked at an angle and he puffed away on a fag too as the boat bobbed around in the competing wakes from other drivers along with refuse barges, delivery barges etc.. all of whom were cool, talking to their girls and smoking.

Quite the young Dean Martin or whatever today's equivalent is, though none could ever look as cool as James Dean.

Let's call him Lurcio (a character probably only known to MACT from dear old British comedy programmes that never seem to make it overseas where they are served up such dross as "Are you being served" and "Keeping up appearances". We like "Keeping up appearances" ! Sorry. Moving on then).

So the young Lurcio is desperately trying to look cool.

What we did'nt realise was the buffoon could'nt read.

"Ere is a ya boat"

No

"Okey dokey, so is dis your biat ?"

No you Itie dumbskull, it is S E A. D R E A M......capiche ?

"Yeas capiche.....ere is your boat"

In the name of God...it is not our flipping boat ! Or words similiar.

There it is.

"SEA DREAM EEEE" he says pronouncing the "II" as EEEEEE

Yes SEA DREAM EEEE ......you stupid boy (another plagiarised catch phrase from another old British tv comedy).

An elaborate system of routes resembling an open, industrial maze await us like a Japanese game show designed to test human endurance to it's limits !

We can see our boat, fifty feet away but we have to walk 1000 feet to get to it through a myriad of obstacles like a scene from a Kafka novel with officials pointing back from whence we came.

And we finally arrive at the boat after having a set of kitchen knives confiscated by the dwarf security men and women dressed as a crack counter-terrorist force....who surround Hum like little munchkins delighted that the knife attack employing a potato peeler by the profusely sweating, crazed passenger had'nt run amok and attempted to peel the face off the Captain as in a macabre scene from "The silence of the lambs" !

With danger averted and the dwarves "standing down" Hum was finally allowed on the boat after an intervention by Blondie which seemed to create a lot of sympathy for her and occasional looks of mixed incredulity and disgust at Hum interrupted by finger wagging too towards Hum.

In the room, shower and sleep.

No Hum is not one for pleasantries or banal social intercourse.

"No, just outside London......retired now......yes, is'nt it (whatever was asked about whatever).....yes delicious, is'nt it (whatever is being stuffed down the old gob)...,and you ?...HH can remember a few names, one's own, her and the waiters and bar staff (not necessarily in that order).....so trying to recall fellow guest's names is near impossible.....oh and when they pronounce their name back slowly at you as if you are partially retarded ! Now that really does annoy and said pedantic passenger is avoided at all costs, henceforth.

"What are you writing Hum ?"

Aaah Captain, pull up a chair.

HH loves both Captains.....one of the main reasons we return again an again.

To-day is his first day back.....there is a mountain of things to catch up on !

Without Blondie, maybe HH can get guys news.

We arrange dinner, cant wait.

Oh HH thinks you have had enough for one day.

Chou.

Hope the world is being good to you.

Have'nt you suffered enough....oi vay...reading this drivel.

My God !

Leaving Venice and eating outside on Deck 4, the skies grew darker and darker.

Rumbling of far off thunder was heard to the South.

Tables either side of the two of us containing four fellow guests began edging their table further into the deck to escape a little rain under the protruding canopy of the deck above.

Then tables on the Southern side were vacated by other diners saying it was becoming really windy as table cloths began to lift and flap like they were demonically possessed.

Then the next table left.

The skies were now black and sheets of lightening were near continuous.

And then all hell broke loose.

It came down in sheets.

A huge bang jolted everyone. Then a flash so bright illumined the ship, the water, the sky even the heavens.

And again and again.

This was'nt the lovely little voyage planned, this was the descent into Hades for the worst sinners of all !

(Admittedly they were serving some very nice wine but you get Hum's point.).

Perhaps this was God's wicked plan

Probably fat Antonio's revenge plan...

Picked up the phone and hit speed dial to get through to his Holiness the Papa back in Rome. Inform him of Hum's exploits in his restaurant. Papa picks up the Red Phone....the Cardinals hide behind the sofa...."he'll most likely be sitting out on deck having dinner around eight...hahahaha!"

I take it that smoking in public vehicles has not been banned in Italy as yet...then again it probably has been for several years.

How about having a whip round to raise some pennies to pay for a months trip for Mr Hum...to travel around and experience Italy in all its glory and saviour all it has to offer. The effortless, efficient smiling service to name but one attraction.

No doubt amply rewarding for Mr Hum and it would keep us all in a huge overdose of hilarity for years to come.

What do you say Mr Hum?...We could even pay for Blondie to accompany you as an insurance policy to get you out of scrapes. But then again, it could result in an even more outrageous escapade if he was sent solo!

SDII: day 2: Opatija, Croatia

This port is new to HH and possibly new to SDII too (Haha...tu-tu, geddit, oh never mind, moving on).

First of all may Hum say that the coastline of Croatia scores a 10/10.

Hum loves the coastline and the proximity we get sometimes is amazing.

Light greyish rocks similar to Westmoreland stone in the UK jut out with yellowing grass pasture between and wonderful compact coniferous trees (not the pointy ones).

So we are in Opatija, Croatia.

It is 1 hour's drive from Zagreb for the populace wishing to escape the capital for some R&R.

It comprises of a lot of recently constructed houses and hotels interspersed with coast line villas from former times of the Austro-Hungarian empire and Venetian styled villas also.

There is a gorgeous coastal walkway with small sunbathing platforms constructed of concrete over which the sea laps.

We are joined for our walk by a crew member who leaves soon after a long tour. He talks excitedly about a new lady in his life and possibilities off ship. He loves his extended family and misses them (a week or so home and they often think differently ! But a "love": that's altogether different).

We drink in the local bar: ridiculously in-expensive with friendly service and views over a small harbour built in bygone ages from the beautiful rock. Nets hang up on bleached wooden poles and gently billow in the breeze.

There is one excursion to a local winemaker with a growing reputation.

No takers and so it is cancelled.

Why drink just one or two wines when you can drink four or five ?

We hear of a wine shop run by a young man with a completely in-comprehensible name (more "Z"s than you can "shake a stick at").

Well waddya got big boy ?

And we are off.

Now Croatian wines are like nothing you have ever tried, so forget comparing them to anything else. They are unique Old World. The reds are tough tannic and the whites are lightly floral.

We buy three bottles, honey brandy and sliced white truffle for a ridiculously reasonable price.

We take his details. We will suggest SD have a tasting event here. Would be good for both parties considering SD's elaborate wine excursion was a non-event.

When dis-embarking we were joined by a senior crew member off to shore to collect his parents and extended family to see where their "pride and joy" worked. They were lovely, humble people. We paid our respects to them in a formal manner to demonstrate the respect we have for them and their son.

What a happy sight to behold.

Dont we just crave the love and respect of our parents and dont the parents wish to see their offspring have'nt made a complete hash of their lives, consoled they must have done something right !

Aahh the Captain again.

Yes HH can confirm the port is a first.

And he loves the coastline too.

He did his "blah-blah" last night, welcoming people onboard and announcing passenger nationalities.

1-USA

2-Brazil

3-Brits

Now this bunch of Brazilians are a jolly nice (and muted) crowd. In fact it is a lovely bunch all round. No HH is not just saying it. Oh and no kids. Well two 16 year old girls who look bored stiff. And they thought their parents were old.... They sun themselves on the pool deck during the day and seem happy enough listening to whatever. Awaiting the trial of dinner in the evening no doubt.

SDII: Day 3: Sibenik - Hvar, Croatia

So Sibenik in the morning and Hvar around 4.00pm.

Sibenik (old town) is a beautiful Mediaeval town constructed of glorious stone walls and paving.

Just to wander around and see the un-pretentious stonework of former humble dwellings was wonderful.

We stroll for an hour and discover a large market. We buy honey, more honey brandy and walnuts.

Tonight we dine with a couple of guys from Atlanta who have a reputation for sailing on SD over 400 days. Now in some ways this is a pity because Hum wanted to eat in town but c'est la vie.

Anyway they are both charming gentlemen and have an insight into SD because of sailing with her over many, many years. The Club Director also joins the table. Hum likes him a lot.

We could have gone over to the town after dinner but the consensus was to have drinks at the TOYB.

Not only that but Hum was following the breaking news about those crazy Greeks and their last ditch attempts to release money only to pay lenders back !

Hum is amazed by the sheer incompetence of the new government and the complete lack of character of the Greeks that elected this shower.

It is the political scene of watching a car wreck......gruesomely fascinating !

How they cannot see the ramifications of their ideologue and the "tearing up" of previous governments legal undertakings is simply "jaw dropping" in it's breadth of juvenile recklessness.

HH is penning this in his usual spot early in the morning before breakfast...chatting with the guys setting up, reading the news and having the time with you guys.

Also we are awaiting the arrival of SDI !

A few messages from some of the crew were received in the night hoping we will pop over.....try and stop us !

Hum told you the crowd is a nice bunch and generally that is true but there is one lady (late 70's) who cant help telling anybody and everybody how much she "hates it" !

Her husband is a jolly chap (but annoying never the less): she is a Teutonic battle axe who creates a wake of people avoiding her whenever she is around.

No Hum is not in the least bit interested what she hates.....well maybe a bit.

One of the waiters tells me how great a time they had in Hvar last night !

Damn....wish Hum knew.

But they dont need some old fart tagging along.....it's their time.

At least the stories are funny and Hum appreciates the sharing of them.

image.jpg.eeacf45ec1b8d350ffffba6482d9bc29.jpg

How about having a whip round to raise some pennies to pay for a months trip for Mr Hum...to travel around and experience Italy in all its glory and saviour all it has to offer. The effortless, efficient smiling service to name but one attraction.

No doubt amply rewarding for Mr Hum and it would keep us all in a huge overdose of hilarity for years to come.

What do you say Mr Hum?...We could even pay for Blondie to accompany you as an insurance policy to get you out of scrapes. But then again, it could result in an even more outrageous escapade if he was sent solo!

So how much does the fund stand at now ?

32 cents and 1 bottle top !

Hmmmm.....nice try.

Oh the Captain, late today but we have a pleasant chat and he is off.

Next the Chief Officer comes along checking the tender.

Now HH really likes him.....we found out a few years back that we have a love of an old British rock group in common. Since then, we usually eat with one another at least once.

Hum enquires about the mechanical condition of the engine to the tender and it's explained they are just testing it....

Hum congratulates the CO of finally changing the tender seat covers and applying a fresh coat of paint. He beams and says they will be changing the fabric to the ceiling and backs of seats. Great. HH has been complaining about the condition for a while.

Now it looks a whole lot better. Well done.

And then in comes sailing in....SDI !!!

live photos....wel about an hour ago

A lot of horn sounding by both boats.

image.jpg.382a413c4a874a75dd7668eb0d2b9b96.jpg

Edited by ho-hum

Love it! What a great trip you are having. Does the old lady really "hate it"? No, cant believe it. What a waste if its true! Your review so far of Hvar (and all of it actually) is fantastic. It's the sort of review we don't read often, about the actual happenings...at the coalface. How the best intentioned plan can get mislaid. And the choices aren't bad either, into town, to have a drink, or, one deck up to have a drink. Safe travels, good weather and enjoy that early morning private space.

Cheers, Millie

Love it! What a great trip you are having. Does the old lady really "hate it"? No, cant believe it. What a waste if its true! Your review so far of Hvar (and all of it actually) is fantastic. It's the sort of review we don't read often, about the actual happenings...at the coalface. How the best intentioned plan can get mislaid. And the choices aren't bad either, into town, to have a drink, or, one deck up to have a drink. Safe travels, good weather and enjoy that early morning private space.

Cheers, Millie

And a good day to you dear Millie and All (naturally except maybe ctbjr1309, may the heavens open and rains fall down on all your furniture stored outside whilst your lavish mansion is being re-carpeted),

Hum hopes everybody is well and not too downbeat about the tragic news from the US.

These postings are such silly froth at these times but camaraderie, even on this humble offering hopefully adds a little lightness when our news sources overload us with wretched news of how human beings often treat one another and even "ourselves".

So Millie, Hum overlooked your post a few days back.

To reply:

When it rains in the Med, it is usually short. The area around Venice is known for lightening, thunder and rain and it will happen around this time of year but further south, Hum would say it is rare. Hum is sitting posting this drivel in one of those "pac-a-macs" (bought from Ardbeg, MACT, when he did a road trip with chums around the Isle of Islay for whisky tastings). The pac-a-mac has a hood which is ideal for sheltering from the wind: it is quite windy this trip.

Hum even wore a shower cap for dinner outside a few nights ago !

More for comic effect but Blondie was far from impressed, so he wore one of the blue covers for the wall lights to look Gallic. Still she tut-tutted.

So bring a light ruck sack to store essentials when out and about (including the pac-a-mac).

Oh and sensible shoes. The stone paving is really worn down like marble and would be very slippery when wet !

Our wonderful Club Director gave a very informed "Things to do" in Hvar, as he does in ALL ports but Hum was late and only caught the end. So Hum would say the best source of information is onboard.

But here's Hum take on Hvar.

The food, service, even ambience is far better onboard than in Hvar for foodies at least.

Hum is really "picky"

Hvar is great for outdoor cafe, people watching (but not a very elegant or fashionable crowd) and snacks for 30 minutes or so.

Expect people smoking everywhere.

You would think it is compulsory here. Parents proudly celebrating stages in their "sprogs" lives: "yes he was walking by 2 and lit up his own Marlborough by 3, yes they are Marlborough lights, he is after all very young, bless him"

Now Hvar has some good clubs but this is for the really young set but occasionally we tag along if the crew invite us (we never ask to join them !) and Hum never dances for that would be the end !

Hum normally warns the young girls to keep their mid-rifts covered otherwise their kidneys may get a chill and other fatherly advice.

This time timings were bad. Last tender was at 1.00am so the crew did'nt party, they sat about cafes as they had to be back (their service usually finishes around 11.30pm, so very little time).

HH will check out places to go with Club Director.

Hvar town is absolutely beautiful. There was a well attended tour with passengers from both ships.

We spent most of the day after a few hours walking around Hvar in the morning, followed by visiting SDI to see the crew there and having drinks and catching up with everybody.

We also met Enes the new Hotel Manager who insisted on sending over a pizza to us on SDII for lunch, which was jolly nice of him and it was delicious t'boot.

And that was Hvar !

Oh so jolly German chappie and long suffering husband of "I hate it" lady, aint so jolly after all, he is in fact downright rude !

Whilst at the concierge a lady who was conversing with the lady concierge was interrupted by the angry, outraged chap because a tour (planned the next day, mind you !) had been changed from morning to afternoon.

For whatever reason he thought this was intolerable and said so at the top of his voice.

Lady concierge was upset and offered an immediate refund and an apology (for what ? heavens knows).

But no he wanted "heads to roll".

Now the lady who was interrupted has "stewed on this" all day and is off to confront the man !

Something is'nt right with this pair she mutters under her breath.

The most disliked couple onboard now by guests. Crew still are very respectful but these brattish pair are plain not nice and the elderly status has, up until now been respected.

That will end tomorrow morning.

Now this lady who is seeking vengeance is a tad up-tight herself.

At the breakfast bar the other day, Hum gallantly (or so he thought) allowed the lady to serve herself first by saying "after you darling".

This was seen as over familiarity. Fair comment.

She said "not even my husband calls me darling". To which Hum replied "how awful for you darling, so do you want to go first or not". Yes, Hum agrees with you, twas a little childish of Hum and provocative t'boot.

Later in the day, Hum armed with an umbrella for a trip into Dubrovnik, returned to the tender when it began to rain lightly. Seeing the lady disembark and without an umbrella, he offered her his. "No, I have a raincoat" and the husband hastily added it was thoughtful of Hum. Well the heavens opened some 10 minutes later. She would have been drenched. Maybe this explains her feisty attitude later.

These people are in their mid-70's, maybe older !

What the hell is the matter with them.

Characters on a voyage have emerged.

The veneer of sociability has all but vanished.

And there are some interesting manoeuvres at cocktails.

HH plays it as if he is just too stupid to realise anything: a ploy which has served him well over the years and is close to his character anyway, so not really a stretch.

That is why Hum leaves it late for cocktails.

But you know, the passengers are generally a very nice bunch.

Yes really.

So Dubrovnik all day.

We head over before the hordes....there is a Costa ship in.

But the place is packed.

It is such a beautiful place but the crowds got the better of us and we retreated after an hour and a half for a peaceful lunch onboard sheltering from the two hour deluge.

The main fare for food in town are pavement cafes ranging from the opulent to two seaters up narrow passageways. There is nothing for the foodie but there are types of platters of fish which intrigue though who wants to sit down looking out onto a sea of bottoms ?

Pas moi !

Let's be honest it's "Touristville". A small bag of walnuts in Sibenik was 8times the price in D.

So only advice is go very early on the first tender or go late returning on the last few tenders.

Everyone ate outside last night with a beautiful sunset.

We ate with the Chief Officer: a great guy who HH loves chatting with.

Oh guess who popped over for a flying visit ?

The Owner !

We were waving off a couple of crew members who were leaving when the arriving tender contained the Owner. Looking well and smiling, we had the opportunity to thank him for a recent gift and he was off !

Oh Ho-Hum, this is so very funny. The "I Hate It" lady could very well be a member of this CC board and before you know it, you will be outed! Not nice people though. And how rude about the umbrella. The husband must have been embarrassed...... Great tips re Dubrovnik. I can't begin to imagine how crowded it will be in July. At least we will be there overnight so perhaps we would go out late. There will be an MSC in port the day we will be there and that will depart at 4.30pm.

Am loving this/your trip and especially, the on board "entertainment" is the best, although I feel sorry for the staff having to put up with creeps like that!

Cheers, Millie

Oh Ho-Hum, this is so very funny. The "I Hate It" lady could very well be a member of this CC board and before you know it, you will be outed! Not nice people though. And how rude about the umbrella. The husband must have been embarrassed...... Great tips re Dubrovnik. I can't begin to imagine how crowded it will be in July. At least we will be there overnight so perhaps we would go out late. There will be an MSC in port the day we will be there and that will depart at 4.30pm.

Am loving this/your trip and especially, the on board "entertainment" is the best, although I feel sorry for the staff having to put up with creeps like that!

Cheers, Millie

Haha.......HH doubts "IHI" lady is an "idle jottings" kinda gal tho' there are a very few posters here who think this is all bunkum (and before you pair of Canadian back woodsmen say it: "a very few! Yeah right").

HH throws in a little "tittle-tattle" mainly for Butch & Abenaki just for human interest, now and then but the passengers on SD boats are overwhelmingly jolly nice

And last night we sat in close proximity to said couple and he appeared very well dressed (jacket and tie: "old school" style) and made polite and enthusiastic enquiries about the "sauce miroir" on a turbot fish dish. She kept "schtum" all night.

So you see things are not so terrible (HH does exaggerate things terribly).

Oh and the lady who rejected the umbrella. Well she had again "stewed over things" and when encountering her on the stairs down to the Main Dining Room, she excitedly and rather smugly told Hum that her faithful rainproof, full length, poncho bought from some northern Norwegian town (where it absolutely buckets down) had fully protected her and that was the reason for rejecting the umbrella (no, she did'nt say "oh but it was kind of HH to offer").

The perceived abruptness was probably due to a lack of social grace and translation into English.

But what did translate and settled the matter was a beaming smile from her (could be release of trapped wind though).

That is a universal human expression that needs no interpretation (no, not relief from trapped wind, well not just release of.........).

HH suspects her previous demeanour as unfortunate that may have precluded her from past kind approaches because she was overtly proud.

HH does not suffer from pride and is a sop for kind and friendly people.

Well we ate with the Club Director for lunch where we indulged in olives and nuts bought from the town of Monopoli accompanied by a very nice bottle of champagne purloined by our Belgium couple chums who had been onboard the previous voyage and who had left it for us to enjoy.

At dinner we ate again with the crew (Housekeeper & Purser): two beautiful, intelligent ladies of fine discernment and who are both extremely funny. Later we join a large table of American chums who always travel together whilst they had their coffees after dinner. A really nice, friendly crowd.

Yes, it was Monopoli yesterday, in Puglia, Italy.

A former wealthy merchants town with many churches and chapels and a bloomin large cathedral. A local lady concierge from the town was onboard in the lobby advising passengers of everything about the town. A smart young lady and passionate about her town.

The former wealth of the town had left many years ago (derived from olive oil export: mainly to Marseille for soap production) and the town was now a main fishing port of the region, supplying the Southern regions and further north of Italy.

The people were markedly poorer, smaller frame, older and there were very few tourists exceptin' wholesome young hikers and bikers (pedal kind).

What a difference to Dubrovnik yesterday !

And Millie, your staying overnight in Dubrovnik will enable you to see the town at it's real best.

Sadly HH must report that a Brazilian guy had his phone stolen whilst in the city.

The sneaky pick-pockets abound in dense tourist areas like these.

Please be very careful.

Well wandering the town of Monopoli was thoroughly delightful. The stone streets of the old town were so atmospheric.

We had arrived on a Sunday. Church bells peeled and after a longish and un-attractive "schlep" from a brand new port to the old town, you walked into a quiet town with people in the churches following which the few cafes began to open and many clusters of old men pocketed the huge plaza: centre to which was some, stone carved, historical leader caught waving his sword about proclaiming some silly nonsense with a pigeon sitting on his head.

Yes very grand, very vain and not even worth the walk to read and translate the "stuff o' nonsense". By the way, the pigeon was real not one that had been carved in stone also: that would be just downright silly ! Please get a grip.

And this is where we bought three kinds of olives, almonds soaked in water (to enable the skins to be peeled) and some chestnuts to accompany our special champagne prior to lunch with the wonderful CD who insisted (un-convincingly) that the forthcoming English football season was the season for his club (Liverpool): with a few good-ish signings they might come 5/6th at best. HH looks forward to emailing him during the season after the potential "thrashings" his team are likely to endure. It is no sport doing the same to HH. HH's team is in a lower division and fighting off relegation is our goal (yes low achievers: Hum's kinda people).

The weather on this trip so far has been goodish but it has been windy and there is a little bite to it: the reason we dined in the Salon last night. Otherwise all of us (including HH) would be wiping away our hair from our faces. The ladies were in skirts and jackets which provided little protection to the chilling wind and falling temperature after sunset. They gallantly said they really did'nt mind where they ate but HH said no: we will eat inside tonight. We had a lovely corner table close to the kitchen (porthole side: which let a bit of the fading day's light in).

The meal was out-standing......again !!!!

Lobster risotto....the best risotto, HH has ever had (accompanied by a 1er cru Chablis ... perfecto).

The meal was out-standing......again !!!!

Lobster risotto....the best risotto, HH has ever had (accompanied by a 1er cru Chablis ... perfecto).

Aha...hooked on risotto now?

Wearing a pac a mac, sheltering from wind and rain...sounds like Islay or any part of Brigadoon at the present time.

About the Croatian coast...at some point in the not too distant future I would like to cruise around it. Either charter a sailing boat or go with SeaDream (though not many voyages just pottering about Croatia). From what you saw, are there good anchorages or do yachts use harbours, are there beaches or rugged rock coastlines and how cheaper is it compared to UK?

Many thanks and enjoy Taormina, Limpari etc.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2225196

Enjoying your trip Ho-Hum. Found this thread over at Azamara. As Raggy is doing a land voyage, and you have advised others in various land voyages, and as we just returned from our second cross country road trip in the last several months, I thought you might have some interest as we did.

This is my main issue with land trips also:

"but as my husband puts it: you have to go hunting for your food. He dislikes taking his chances with his dinner."

Even with reasearch and recommendations, restaurants are hit and miss. And the titanic effort required to get Mrs D to a reservation on time is very wearing :eek: At least on a cruise I can get her started at 5 (PM) and make the dining room in time for last seating...

This is my main issue with land trips also:

And the titanic effort required to get Mrs D to a reservation on time is very wearing :eek: At least on a cruise I can get her started at 5 (PM) and make the dining room in time for last seating...

Ooohhh! That one is going to cost you.:eek::D

Aha...hooked on risotto now?

About the Croatian coast...at some point in the not too distant future I would like to cruise around it. Either charter a sailing boat or go with SeaDream (though not many voyages just pottering about Croatia). From what you saw, are there good anchorages or do yachts use harbours, are there beaches or rugged rock coastlines and how cheaper is it compared to UK?

Many thanks and enjoy Taormina, Limpari etc.

Oh hell MACT, HH is no independent sailor, nay, he is a "softie of the seas" old chap.

So, purely from a layman's point of view, HH observed no boats anchoring but harbours were used though the numbers are nothing compared to the Caribbean and France.

The beaches are all cobbles.

As for cost of course Croatia must be cheaper but HH really would'nt know in all fairness.