.......idle jottings

ho-hum

Host Dan, please delete this post before we all gouge our eyes out trying to eliminate the sights this conjures up :eek:

My dear chap, like it or not (and we are definitely in agreement on this subject: NOT), "swingers cruises" are here to stay and they augment a significant revenue to the cruise lines that cater for these randy passengers AND furthermore as this very website serves ALL types of cruising offered by ALL types of cruise lines, then it is a valid entry onto this iconoclastic thread for airing (though frankly HH's real intention was to gain exactly the response from ol' Cabbie and the like and HH was a tad surprised that it was you dear chap who snatched the juicy bait !)

Haha........HH has caught a whopper ! The Great Raggy.

On a serious note, HH has concern for those working on cruise lines that cater for these kind of cruises. HH has made the acquaintance over the years of many of the crew personnel and would consider that it is likely to be offensive to them and probably upsetting.

What rights do the crew have ?

None, probably.

Thanks, great info.

We like St. Barts too. Have been there twice. Mustique looks like it has good diving, and we would likely rent a small villa with some friends. But if that falls through, I like your idea of staying at the lodge.

I find Johnny Depp to be a contemptable person, he moved his family to France, saying he wanted to get them away from American culture. And yet his flaccid movies help create the very thing he wants to get away from. If he were a man, he'd stay in the US and try to improve it.

"Try to improve America" ? Ooops, bag and cat moment there Raggy.

Oh, by the way, he also has a place in Los Angeles: he bought it from Vanessa (Mulholland Drive) and one in the Bahamas......maybe a place in Paris too since splitting with Vanessa P.

He will miss the south of France though.....what is he thinking ? Suppose it's because his new wife is a Texan and taking over VP's home was convenient.

Did you know he is descended from French Huguenots ? So you see, his stock is French.

It’s a bugbear that is developing into manic hysteria.

The salty dogs at SeaDream have not, as yet, succumbed to the very annoying yet highly trendy vogue of serving food on everything but a flat plate! I fear these Scandinavians, at the cutting edge of everything that is ever trendy, will slyly nip off to Ikea and come back with a trolley load of unspeakably named platforms for the placing of food items.

It started with ever increasing numbers of restaurants serving a main course in a bowl type plate… how on earth are you to eat out of that? I can understand that a dog would slaver and wag its tail with such a fancy bowl being placed in front of it but such canine capers are normally undertaken without the use of cutlery. You have provided me a knife, you have provided me with a fork, now serve your delicious food on a b****y flat plate.

Yet this culinary malarkey has now reached epidemic levels of outrage. A bit of driftwood to lay out the starter of pate, chutney and homemade bread. Chances are at least one main course will be served on a piece of slate. That is what you nail onto a roof you clown! Fries, twice cooked no less…( did you make an a**e of it the first time around?) arranged in a tin can. A wine glass used for dessert!?!

It’s enough to make you give up on restaurants and go to the local takeaway and order some fish and chips served in a polystyrene container! (Oh and don’t get me started with those damn EU bureaucrats that outlawed Great British chip shop owners using brown paper and newspaper to wrap suppers).

It has come to such a head that the mere thought of eating in a restaurant now brings me out in a cold sweat. Should I smuggle in my own flat plate? Should I only go to the local Greek restaurant where surely Stavros is still using flat plates so he can put on his plate twirling and smashing show at the end of the evening festivities?

So I suggest a launch of a campaign to halt this shocking development. The campaign for the reinstatement of all flat plates. CRAP for short. I trust I will have your support and a call for monetary contributions will follow to cover the ongoing and lavish expense to be incurred for having to dine in many restaurants to monitor their use or otherwise of acceptable crockery items.

What a lovely voyage:starts tomorrow.

May 21, 2015 Istanbul, Turkey

May 22, 2015 Kepez (Troy & Gallipoli), Turkey

May 23, 2015 Kusadasi (Ephesus), Turkey

May 24, 2015 Patmos, Greece

May 25, 2015 Bodrum, Turkey

May 26, 2015 Rhodes Town, Greece

May 27, 2015 Santorini, Greece

May 28, 2015 Mykonos, Greece

May 29, 2015 Hydra, Greece

May 30, 2015 Athens (Piraeus), Greece

image.jpg.85e0c85e0aeb3c1bc774ce093fcd8de8.jpg

I've been reading your banter for quite a while now and enjoying it very much. Since I saw you guys talk about river cruises, I thought I would mention that we leave tomorrow for Amsterdam, before our river cruise that sails on Sunday. We are sailing on Uniworld SS Antionette on the Rhine River from Amsterdam to Basel, Switzerland. Will spend a few days in Switzerland post cruise.

Of interest is the fact that we are sailing with 4 other chums that we met on Sea Dream. Vandrefalk happens to be one of them. We are really looking forward to the trip. We sailed Uniworld once before but they were not all inclusive and they now are so that will be interesting to see how it has changed.

Will report when we return or maybe even before if the WiFi is good!

I've been reading your banter for quite a while now and enjoying it very much. Since I saw you guys talk about river cruises, I thought I would mention that we leave tomorrow for Amsterdam, before our river cruise that sails on Sunday. We are sailing on Uniworld SS Antionette on the Rhine River from Amsterdam to Basel, Switzerland. Will spend a few days in Switzerland post cruise.

Of interest is the fact that we are sailing with 4 other chums that we met on Sea Dream. Vandrefalk happens to be one of them. We are really looking forward to the trip. We sailed Uniworld once before but they were not all inclusive and they now are so that will be interesting to see how it has changed.

Bon Voyage Whatnot. That cruise is on our list as well so we look forward to your usual excellent reportage. All the best.:D

Well whatnot, the banter is open to everybody: the more the merrier.

Oh what a lovely river cruise !

And with Sea Dream chums and Lady V t'boot. It will be heaven.

Yes please let HH and the reprobates that "hang out" here all about it (not you Zimmy).

But you may need an extra suitcase of cash to pay for incidentals in Switzerland: their exchange rate rocketed recently (when they did'nt tie the franc to the euro).

A coffee will probably cost about $200 !

OK a tad of an exaggeration but everything went up about 12% and it was expensive before.

Today $1 is just under 1 Swiss Franc.

The Swiss like it that way, keeps the riff-raff (e.g. ol' Ragnar) out. But I did manage to weasel my way in there back in my youth, before I began carrying the weight of the world on my shoulders (hee-hee). Skied on the Matterhorn. A hamburger in town in Zermatt was $10 in the early 80's :eek:

Sure glad I've managed to shrug that weight off my shoulders (ok, ok, the allusions are maybe going too far...)

It's not the swinging per se that horrifies me, but the thought of the typical cruising population engaging in such activities :eek::eek::(

It's like nude beaches, great in concept, but usually ghastly in reality....

Which Amish community do you belong to Brother Raggy ?

Now get out of here !

That barn wont go up by itself !

Praise the Lord.

The Swiss like it that way, keeps the riff-raff (e.g. ol' Ragnar) out. But I did manage to weasel my way in there back in my youth, before I began carrying the weight of the world on my shoulders (hee-hee). Skied on the Matterhorn. A hamburger in town in Zermatt was $10 in the early 80's :eek:

Sure glad I've managed to shrug that weight off my shoulders (ok, ok, the allusions are maybe going too far...)

Funny coincidence that the time you "shrugged the weight of the world off your shoulders" was the same time you discovered IPA (Indian Pale Ale) !

Haha

Oh yes, the world for HH changed too when he discovered Bordeaux and Burgundy.

A real "communion" began.

Whatnot

We took unworldly from Amsterdam to Budapest a few years ago. Had a great time, but mid trip the captain got into a fight with another staff member ( we never learned which one) and left the next morning black eye and all. After some scrambling they brought aboard a replacement captain and we were on our way. Not a word was said publicly about the incident. Hope you have a great trip.

Whatnot

We took unworldly from Amsterdam to Budapest a few years ago. Had a great time, but mid trip the captain got into a fight with another staff member ( we never learned which one) and left the next morning black eye and all. After some scrambling they brought aboard a replacement captain and we were on our way. Not a word was said publicly about the incident. Hope you have a great trip.

You really have to keep an eye on those old Captains.:eek:

It’s a bugbear that is developing into manic hysteria.

The salty dogs at SeaDream have not, as yet, succumbed to the very annoying yet highly trendy vogue of serving food on everything but a flat plate! I fear these Scandinavians, at the cutting edge of everything that is ever trendy, will slyly nip off to Ikea and come back with a trolley load of unspeakably named platforms for the placing of food items.

So I suggest a launch of a campaign to halt this shocking development. The campaign for the reinstatement of all flat plates. CRAP for short. I trust I will have your support and a call for monetary contributions will follow to cover the ongoing and lavish expense to be incurred for having to dine in many restaurants to monitor their use or otherwise of acceptable crockery items.

And this from the man who recently wrote he was "dining" on an egg mayonnaise sandwich and a glass of water !

Were any plates actually used in this meagre meal ?

Yet accepting this is not your usual fayre and that you do occasionally dine out, HH must confess he has no actual first hand experience of this crazy fad.

And fad is what it is.

HH has seen a photo of the venerable "ye olde Englishe breakfast" served on a shovel.

Yes a ruddy shovel !

Just hope it was new and not used to turn over the compost.

An important side point: compost should be regularly turned.

No of course HH does'nt do it ! One of the gardeners does it AND he uses his own spade.

Spades are for gardening: shovels are for construction,

So, yes, HH would join shoulder to shoulder with you MACT, as a member of C.R.A.P. (how did that pass "the controller" at CC by the way ?).

Ol Cabbie would say, it suits HH perfectly as he is also speaks a lot of it too !

But are you certain it is Scandinavian "inspired" nonsense.

In HH's experience, they are a pretty dull lot except when drinking when they become even more dull except for the Danish....but they are not really Scandinavian are they ?

Well HH's experience of dining recently has lead him to spiral into a great depression.

HH prefers to eat at home. Blondie's food is excellent, the wine cellar caters for all, the table is large, the view is wonderful and it is quiet......well to begin with.

And not a shovel, piece of wood, roofing slate or brick in sight.

Remember in the 60's, some "beat" artist served a meal up on a nude model ?

Yes, of course it was female !

Otherwise you could have done some serious damage mistakenly slicing up what you thought was a sausage !

Obviously he was trying to merge eroticism and gorging on fine food into an umami of an experience. As most modern art is stuck firmly into conceptualism, naturally it did'nt take off.

HH may have also seen it in on a 1960's "B" film about the decline of the Roman Empire where gargantuan fellows pick up legs of beef off a "table" of wenches.

Ridiculous !

Nothing erotic in the slightest !

Were the bellies of said wenches, pre-warmed ?

Another current, non-erotic trend: twerking !

Ridiculous !

And if HH has to go to another frigging dinner party where some dizzy woman goes on about how erotic she found "50 shades of grey" !

Ye Gods !

So she likes to be tied up, well HH gets pretty tempted to tie her up and gag her so he can enjoy his meal in peace !

"HH you are gettin old"

No, just not as "daft as a brush" (Northern expression, rarely used by "posh" people but seems apropos here).

Well HH reported of what SDI is up to.

But what of SDII ?

Well they are in Monte Carlo, Monaco for the Grand Prix on Sunday.

The vessel is chartered by regulars and they sound a very nice bunch, kind to the crew and there are a few celebrities popping in t'boot.

Our Belgium chums who stayed with us a weekend back: who we originally met back on SD (and whom we are sailing with this coming new year) were also there as guests of work colleague chums.

This really does sound like the premiere wEek for them and there are lots of excited postings by them on social media.

The webcam of the harbour shows the vessel within the protected harbour and they are positioned a little way back. The company chartering the vessel has an area overlooking the track.

image.jpg.e5f5490819d81b365b70f62ba40d1d4b.jpg