Canada Place pier to Vancouver airport

honeyb2

There will be 4 adults getting off the Sapphire Princess in Sept. We are trying to avoid paying $116 for the 4 transfers from Princess that will get us from the pier to the airport. Any cheaper alternatives? All ideas are welcome. Thanks.

There is transportation from the area of the pier to the airport via "Skytrain", think subway but above ground. Relatively inexpensive and a lot of people seem to like it. It wouldn't be my personal preference, particularly if you had a lot of luggage but that is just me. Cabs in Vancouver generally tend to be smaller vehicles so for 4 people plus luggage you would probably need two, but still likely less than tha Princess transfers. If it was me I would arrange for a car service. Lots of information available on line for all these alternatives.

Also in the West Coast forum there is a thread entitled " Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite" If you ask you question there you will get all the info you need.:)

We will be sailing round trip out of Vancouver for the first time in September on the Island Princess. While we have not made our final decision yet about ground transportation, we are looking at aerocar service, which I am sure I learned about somewhere here on CC. They may or may not be a cheaper alternative for your group.

http://www.aerocar.ca/

One of the Vancouver experts will probably be able to provide more helpful information.

Look into the Canada Line. It's a light rail line running from close to Waterfront station (where the Canada Place cruise terminal is) directly to the Vancouver airport. It will be much cheaper than what you posted for a transfer. Just make sure you get the "add fare" to go to YVR off the main line.

There will be 4 adults getting off the Sapphire Princess in Sept. We are trying to avoid paying $116 for the 4 transfers from Princess that will get us from the pier to the airport. Any cheaper alternatives? All ideas are welcome. Thanks.

Absolutely, the subway (Skytrain). Exit Canada Place, walk one block ahead on Howe, turn left, two blocks along Cordova St and into "WATERFRONT STATION" on your left (don't take the escalators you pass right by canada place, they go to the wrong tracks). At Waterfront Station, buy 2-zone transit tickets ($3.75/ea) from the ticket machines (they take C$, credit and debit), and follow the signs to Canada Line platforms. On the platform just get on any train marked "YVR AIRPORT" (every other train), and you'll be there in 24 minutes. At the airport, the station is on top of the car park, directly opposite US Departures. There are elevators at the station (along with stairs and escalators) and the trains are roll-on roll off with your luggage

This map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=212770407613531027445.000467645fcda21dd87b2&msa=0&ll=49.285975,-123.110765&spn=0.005858,0.016512 should help, along with these photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/vancouvercruise/CanadaLineYVRToCanadaPlaceWaterfrontStation#

Edited by scottbee

aerocar is very nice. A six psgr limo would be around $50-55. I use them a lot and they are great. They are the 'official' limo provider at YVR

But they are a party of 4. To this rate must add 12% tax and a tip so you are pushing $70....for that you could afford a cab for each party of 2.

Or enough for 18 people on Skytrain?

Actually it would be the Canada Line they would want to take to the airport however, your math is quite correct if they want to schlep their luggage for 3 blocks....but to each their own.

Aren't you glad that you asked this question, it's just so easy to provoke a brawl on CC. Anyway, the short answer to your question is yes, there are cheaper alternatives than the cruise line transfer and a little research online should provide you with the info you need.:)

We reserved thru quickcoach.com

Less expensive than Princess and they will pick up at Canada Place.

I called them and they were very helpful. Then I did our ressies online.

Cancellation fee is 100%.

Given quickcoach only operate to the Seattle airport, and not the Vancouver airport, not really appropriate for this discussion.

While I can't speak for the differences in cost, which I am sure that Northender could address, Quick Coach does provide service between Canada Place and YVR....good call Northender.:) Sometimes we Vancouverites can learn from visitors to our city rather than correcting them. Here is a link to their sked for the cruise ship season beginning May 5th:

http://www.quickcoach.com/schedule.htm

It does look like all but the 9AM one from Canada Place do an Airport stop yet everytime I have taken Quick Shuttle I have never been on a bus that went to the Airport but they may have more than one bus going.

Cheers

Dennis

I'm not sure they're evening licensed to provide passenger for hire services WITHIN Metro Vancouver, in the same way that they provide cross border services; and their website says

from
Seatac Airport, Downtown Seattle, Bellingham Airport

to
Vancouver Airport, Downtown Vancouver and Cruise Ship Terminals aboard luxury coaches

Which certainly implies they don't do carriage for hire between US stops, or carriage for hire between Canadian stops.

So, given that they;

• explicitly list their service as "from USA to Canada", or "from Canada to USA" (see above)
  • don't offer fares between Canadian stops
  • list their schedules as 'depart' (all Canadian stops) and 'arrive' (all USA stops)

I'm going to make the assumption that the poster that suggested Quick Coach was confused and assuming between Vancouver and Seattle, and not between Vancouver and the Vancouver Airport.

I'm with SB on this one - from their website:

Q. Does Quick Shuttle provide service between Bellingham and Seattle?

A. Quick Shuttle specializes in cross border transportation. Your trip must cross an international border.

*edit: sorry, didn't see PDs had replied while I was typing this. Still, confirmation from the service provider hopefully ends this cleanly!

Edited by martincath
didn't see PDs reply while typing

• 2 weeks later...

Well everyone, sorry for the confusion. I was so excited that I might be able to answer a question after asking so many recently, that I did not read the OP header correctly.:o

My apologies.:):)

But, if anyone asks the Canada Place to SEATTLE question, we now all know the answer:D

Thank you Putterdude. Enough said.

• 1 month later...

I don't like starting new threads for one little piece of info, so since this was on page 3 or 4, I thought I would use it.

The info below is from Quick Coach regarding our travel from Vancouver to Seattle.

Your reservation is for travel on June 30th 2012 at 9:00am from the Canada Place Pier to Downtown Seattle.

The pick up location at the Canada Place Pier is on cruise ship level in Bus Bay 11. Please see our representative from Quick Shuttle when you get off the ship, they will be located at Bay 11

I am wondering if we should do getting off the ship on our own. We are Platinum on Princess which I "think" means we can debark at any time. Please correct me if I am wrong. I am not sure where I read that the cruise terminal can be tough to get thru. I don't want to miss the bus:eek:

How much lugging do we have to do to get to Bay 11:)

You will need to request self-disembarkation which Princess will accommodate but you do need to be able to handle all of you own luggage. I am Elite with Princess but that doesn't permit you to walk of the ship at any time, you will be assigned an area to meet and time. You will likely be off the ship and thru customs by 0830 latest but do tell the Passenger Services Desk what you are up to and that you need an early time. Free luggage carts are available in the luggage claim area and once thru Canadian Customs your walk to bay 11 would be only a few hundred feet.

You will need to request self-disembarkation which Princess will accommodate but you do need to be able to handle all of you own luggage. I am Elite with Princess but that doesn't permit you to walk of the ship at any time, you will be assigned an area to meet and time. You will likely be off the ship and thru customs by 0830 latest but do tell the Passenger Services Desk what you are up to and that you need an early time. Free luggage carts are available in the luggage claim area and once thru Canadian Customs your walk to bay 11 would be only a few hundred feet.

Thank you, thank you.:):)

• 2 months later...
Could someone please clarify for me the details of ARRIVING at Canada Place via Canada Line for embarkation..... once we get off the train where do we go? How far is this to walk? Thanks..

It's all very well signed and you will have no problems. The walking distance from station to Canada Place is about 3 blocks; once out onto Cordova St. you turn right to Howe St. turn right again and you will see Canada Place, it all level to slightly downhill.