Equipment on Flights to FCO on AA/UA

lvssushi

I've been watching airfares and reading everything I can find about flights to Rome for our 11 day cruise this June.

Decided to go business class because we both only have 2 weeks of vacation and want to start when we get on the plane!

Well, today flight prices dropped $1000.00 so I'm looking to get us booked.

Here is where I could use some help. I wanted to travel on the newer lie flat seating configuration so we could be rested when we land in FCO. Looking at flights I realized that AA, on the ORD to FCO route, has only 1 direct flight and they utilize a 767-300. Reading reviews on the flights, it appears that there are two versions of the plane and both versions are used. The older version has six seats, (not lie flat) across in the 2 2 2 configuration while the newer version has the 1 2 1 lieflat configuration. I realize that there is never a guarantee on what equipment you will fly on, but it seems there is more risk in this case.

Alternatively, I can add a stop, going through ORD then to either PHL or CLT and onto FCO. The connecting flight operated by UA utilizes an Airbus 330. Again, I realize there is no guarantee, but there is no older version of that equipment that UA seems to be operating on these routes. So it seems like it would be worth it to fly UA out of the two cities.

I would appreciate any input anyone could give on these airplanes and thoughts about adding a stop for the different equipment option.

Thanks

I think you have some things confused. UA doesn't have A330s. They do use 767-300s, 400s.

If you are connecting thru PHL or CLT to FCO, it is not on UA. UA flies to Rome out of IAD and EWR. Did you meant US Airways out of CLT?

Looking at UA, they have a non-stop on a 777-200 ORD-FCO. That is a 3 class plane, with 2-4-2 seating in Business.

You can connect thru Dulles (IAD) or EWR, getting a 767-400. That would be 2-1-2 in business. Rode on one of those to Lima in November. Pretty nice.

There are some options through Toronto, on Air Canada planes, where an A330 comes into play. I also flew in one of those coming back from FCO last June. I prefer the 767-400. More spacious.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Do yourself a favor, fly through PHL and connect on an A330 to FCO. It will be the US Airways Envoy product, which is terrific. Great service, very comfortable, 1-2-1 seating. The food is good, it's IMHO the best US carrier long haul service in the sky.

I think you have some things confused. UA doesn't have A330s. They do use 767-300s, 400s.

If you are connecting thru PHL or CLT to FCO, it is not on UA. UA flies to Rome out of IAD and EWR. Did you meant US Airways out of CLT?

Looking at UA, they have a non-stop on a 777-200 ORD-FCO. That is a 3 class plane, with 2-4-2 seating in Business.

You can connect thru Dulles (IAD) or EWR, getting a 767-400. That would be 2-1-2 in business. Rode on one of those to Lima in November. Pretty nice.

There are some options through Toronto, on Air Canada planes, where an A330 comes into play. I also flew in one of those coming back from FCO last June. I prefer the 767-400. More spacious.

Ugghh!:o Yes I meant US Air. Thanks!

Do yourself a favor, fly through PHL and connect on an A330 to FCO. It will be the US Airways Envoy product, which is terrific. Great service, very comfortable, 1-2-1 seating. The food is good, it's IMHO the best US carrier long haul service in the sky.

Thanks! I appreciate your input.

How do people handle the 1 2 1 seating with a spouse?

Edited by lvssushi

There's a simple question you have to ask yourself. Do I REALLY need to spend the time during flight in an involved situation with my spouse? Can I just relax and enjoy my time alone or am I a "joined at the hip" personality that needs to hold hands and chat and the rest? And what's important to my spouse?

Now, that may seem a bit harsh, but there have been folks who have complained that they didn't get to talk with their spouse since they were in private pods in business/first. Much thought is that if you "need" that, then don't get that type of inflight product. There are other business class cabins that are more conducive to "spousing", but that they are less desirable for many other factors.

So...what's important to you? In my case, Mrs FT would rather have a great inflight product, figuring that she's going to be spending plenty of time with me in a ship's stateroom and that she can easily go 8-12 hours "on her own". Same for me. Others are different, so look in your mirror and know what's important TO YOU.

BTW, pod configurations are great, IMO. Plenty of privacy and comfort, along with the opportunity to get some good sleep on the eastbound. But, as always, YMMV.

There's a simple question you have to ask yourself. Do I REALLY need to spend the time during flight in an involved situation with my spouse? Can I just relax and enjoy my time alone or am I a "joined at the hip" personality that needs to hold hands and chat and the rest? And what's important to my spouse?

Now, that may seem a bit harsh, but there have been folks who have complained that they didn't get to talk with their spouse since they were in private pods in business/first. Much thought is that if you "need" that, then don't get that type of inflight product. There are other business class cabins that are more conducive to "spousing", but that they are less desirable for many other factors.

So...what's important to you? In my case, Mrs FT would rather have a great inflight product, figuring that she's going to be spending plenty of time with me in a ship's stateroom and that she can easily go 8-12 hours "on her own". Same for me. Others are different, so look in your mirror and know what's important TO YOU.

BTW, pod configurations are great, IMO. Plenty of privacy and comfort, along with the opportunity to get some good sleep on the eastbound. But, as always, YMMV.

LOL!! Thanks FT! I'm sure there will be some conversation early in the flight, but once we get settled "Mr Syndney" and I will hopefully be getting some of that good sleep on our eastbound portion of the trip. 14 days will be our longest vacation together in 26 years. :rolleyes: I'm quite sure some alone time will be necessary for both our sanity!;):D

Thanks for your input!

We like 2A and 3A. We sleep on the outbound and to be honest after two or three weeks of togetherness while on vacation, I think we both enjoy some alone time on the way home. ;)

I wanted to travel on the newer lie flat seating configuration so we could be rested when we land in FCO.

You've more or less answered your own question. Your priority is to have lie flat seating so you can sleep on flight over. That being the case, the seating configuration shouldn't matter all that much. ;)

You'll have an hour or so while the plane reaches altitude, and the FA's are serving drinks and taking meal orders, then you'll have your meal and go to sleep. When Mr. Waterbug and I travel in BE, we don't really worry about missing out on those 2-ish hours of conversation, since we're getting ready to spend a week or two together nonstop. I usually just find a movie to watch during the in flight preliminaries, finish watching it during the meal service and then recline my seat and sleep.

You've more or less answered your own question. Your priority is to have lie flat seating so you can sleep on flight over. That being the case, the seating configuration shouldn't matter all that much. ;)

You'll have an hour or so while the plane reaches altitude, and the FA's are serving drinks and taking meal orders, then you'll have your meal and go to sleep. When Mr. Waterbug and I travel in BE, we don't really worry about missing out on those 2-ish hours of conversation, since we're getting ready to spend a week or two together nonstop. I usually just find a movie to watch during the in flight preliminaries, finish watching it during the meal service and then recline my seat and sleep.

Thanks Waterbug! You gave a great summary of how I would want the trip to go! Looks like I will be doing the PHL connection to FCO.

One thing to think about, do you want a window? FYI, you will be flying over the Alps on the PHL to FCO route.

I think I would want a window. You stated you preferred 2A and 3A, those are both window seats correct? Is there one side that is better viewing? Seeing the Alps would be wonderful! :D

By the way, I am amazed at your packing skills and aspire to be able to travel with only a carry on for a 2 week trip!!! :p

Thanks Waterbug! You gave a great summary of how I would want the trip to go! Looks like I will be doing the PHL connection to FCO.

I think I would want a window. You stated you preferred 2A and 3A, those are both window seats correct? Is there one side that is better viewing? Seeing the Alps would be wonderful! :D

By the way, I am amazed at your packing skills and aspire to be able to travel with only a carry on for a 2 week trip!!! :p

They are both window seats that will provide great views of the Alps and if I recall, Rome as you are getting ready to land.