All inclusive drinks package

Is this package as good as it sounds? What exactly does it include but more importantly what doesn't it include? Thanks all

We always book early enough where the drinks package is included but would not pay for it as there are more and more drinks carrying a supplement.Having said that there is more than enough drinks to wet my whistle that don't carry a supplement

As Stevie says there are drink menus on the forum somewhere.I don't know how to scan drinks list onto here

IMO it depends on when and where you are sailing.

We paid full price for the Drinks Package (you cannot call it an All Inclusive package) last July and actually got our monies worth as the weather was so hot, and we were only ashore for a few hours each morning, that we needed constant soft drinks to keep us hydrated.

However, on our October cruise, we knew it would be much cooler so didn't pay for the drinks package but did buy the wine package once on board; we didn't scrimp on drinks and our total drinks bill (wine package included) was well less than £30 a night.

Edited by campolady

We had the package at a greatly reduced price. We drank as much as we wished using just the included drinks and didn't feel hard done by. Worked out it wasn't worth paying full price for it though.

Sent from my SM-T330 using Tapatalk

The full price drinks package is not a good deal IMO - unless you are on a near constant swally for the whole cruise.

The "get your money's worth" mindset (I've been there) is not conducive to your health - keep a tally of what you've imbibed over the 7/14 nights and then confess that to your GP !!!

• 4 weeks later...

We always have the drink package which has been 'free' when we book early, this has been good value for us as I do not drink but can enjoy all the mocktails etc. And if we were to pay either on board or when booking later we would both have to lay full price

• 2 weeks later...

Have just returned from a cruise on Majesty (Colourful Coasts 22nd March) Had we taken the drinks package it would have worked out at £746 for we three adults and one child - we booked too late to take advantage of the free/reduced priced packages. We decided to instead just go for the Wine Package and the Water Package which worked out well and we opted for the Cocktails of the Day (£3.95 instead of £4.60) of an evening. We felt we made the right decision but it does, of course, depend on how much of a drinker you are.

As I have said Cocktail of the Day was £3.95 and all cocktails were otherwise £4.60. Certain ones (e.g.Jumping Jack Flash, Sex on the Beach, Sea Breeze, Harvey Wallbanger and all Frozen Cocktails carried a £1.20 supplement charged to guest on the Drinks Package. Mocktails (which granddaughter enjoyed) were £2.70. Spirits and Aperitifs were £3.90 - £4.10 depending on brand, with some brands again incurring a supplement of £1.20 for those on the Drinks Package. In the main Lager, beer and cider was £3.70 but here again there were supplements of £2+ for certain brands for Drinks Package passengers. Water was expensive at £1.90 so we stocked up when ashore.

Hope this helps

Suzanne

Thanks for the comprehensive details :)

You have helped me previously on the MSC board too.

Hope you enjoyed Thomson xx

Yes enjoyed Thomson Majesty. Granted it is an older ship and does not have all the glitz of the larger MSC ships (water slides, climbing walls etc etc) but everything was spotlessly clean, the staff friendly and very helpful, food excellent and the entertainment some of the best I have seen on a cruise ship. I have written a review which can be found at:

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=530384

Would definitely sail with Thomson again but for now am looking forward to my cruise out of Dubai on 17th Dec (MSC Fantasia) during my visit to visit son and family who are based in Dubai. Might fit in another cruise over the Summer months - depends on itinerary and pricing as I want to avoid the dreaded single supplements as much as possible!! May consider going back on NCL Epic which caters so well for the solo traveller with studio cabins.

Glad I was able to be of help

Suzanne

Yes enjoyed Thomson Majesty. Granted it is an older ship and does not have all the glitz of the larger MSC ships (water slides, climbing walls etc etc) but everything was spotlessly clean, the staff friendly and very helpful, food excellent and the entertainment some of the best I have seen on a cruise ship. I have written a review which can be found at:

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=530384

Would definitely sail with Thomson again but for now am looking forward to my cruise out of Dubai on 17th Dec (MSC Fantasia) during my visit to visit son and family who are based in Dubai. Might fit in another cruise over the Summer months - depends on itinerary and pricing as I want to avoid the dreaded single supplements as much as possible!! May consider going back on NCL Epic which caters so well for the solo traveller with studio cabins.

Glad I was able to be of help

Suzanne

I am cruising solo on Epic for the first time this year. Any advice would be welcome :)

how is MSC for solo cruisers?

I am cruising solo on Epic for the first time this year. Any advice would be welcome :)

how is MSC for solo cruisers?

You will enjoy the solo experience on Epic. Will you have a studio cabin? These are quite small but adequate for the solo passenger - no fridge though unless you need to store medication and they will provide one for you if you put in a request (they did this for me). The Studio Lounge is great - a good place to meet up with others travelling solo. Open 24/7 where you can get tea/coffee/hot chocolate and snacks - can even have breakfast there and of an evening the bar is open from 5.30 pm. The crew member assigned to the solo lounge will ensure everyone gets to know each other and will often arrange for groups to go to dinner together. Our co-ordinator was fantastic and made sure no-one felt isolated. I met some great people with whom I am still in contact with and in fact four of us met up on Epic at Christmas - I was travelling with family then but it was nice to have the company of them and other solo travelling friends I had made previously.

Even if you are in another category cabin then you can have access to the Studio Lounge but you will need to get your cabin key card swiped at reception to indicate you are a solo traveller.

Would recommend you make dining room reservations in advance (even if you do not take them up if you link up with other solos)and also pre-book the shows you want to see. Can recommend Cirque Dreams (well worth the supplement for this great show with a good meal) Would advise booking premium seats and aim for the balcony from where you get the best view - you will need to queue for this a good 45 mins prior to the start in order to get the best seats even if you have pre-booked!!

Howl at the Moon in the Headliners Bar is also a very popular venue and you may need to book this (we just wandered in in a group of 6 one evening and were lucky I guess).

Our shows at Christmas were Pricilla Queen of the Desert and Burn The Floor - both excellent and the other shows throughout the week were also very good.

If you want to ensure a good spot on deck then you may like to consider using the Posh Club up on Deck 18 (Adults only). It cost me $59 for the week the first time I was on Epic but it was money well spent. You need to get your card swiped at reception (more or less as you arrive on board as the passes are limited). The Posh Club has very comfy sunbeds with nice mattresses, there is a bar with waiter service for food and drink. Perhaps the only downside is that there is no pool up there but if you fancy a swim you just have to go down in the lift to the pool deck and return to Posh afterwards. If you like water slides you will enjoy these on Epic. There is an adults only pool in Spice H2O but it is rather small.

There will be lots of choices for entertainment throughout the ship and the dining places numerous. We ate mostly in Manhattan, Tastes or O'Sheenans. The Buffet was OK for lunch or a quick breakfast but very often is was so crowded and trying to find a seat proved difficult at times.

As for MSC you will incur single supplements but they do sometimes have offers for solos. Because I have travelled with MSC so many times before I have built up my loyalty card bonuses and the discounts I get through that can offset the single supplements. If I am truthful I would rather sail MSC. Epic was great fun but for me the ship was too big and there was so much I had to arrange prior to sailing rather than just being able to take each day as it came. Having said that if the right itinerary came along at the right price I would return to Epic purely because I know that as a solo traveller my needs will be met.

Hope this helps and I hope too you enjoy Epic. When do you sail with them? Would be interested to hear how you get on. Have you joined a roll call for your sailing. This is another way to meet people and very often the roll call will have solo passengers on there.

Suzanne

Edited by suron
mis spelling

• 3 weeks later...
Have just returned from a cruise on Majesty (Colourful Coasts 22nd March) Had we taken the drinks package it would have worked out at £746 for we three adults and one child - we booked too late to take advantage of the free/reduced priced packages. We decided to instead just go for the Wine Package and the Water Package which worked out well and we opted for the Cocktails of the Day (£3.95 instead of £4.60) of an evening. We felt we made the right decision but it does, of course, depend on how much of a drinker you are.

As I have said Cocktail of the Day was £3.95 and all cocktails were otherwise £4.60. Certain ones (e.g.Jumping Jack Flash, Sex on the Beach, Sea Breeze, Harvey Wallbanger and all Frozen Cocktails carried a £1.20 supplement charged to guest on the Drinks Package. Mocktails (which granddaughter enjoyed) were £2.70. Spirits and Aperitifs were £3.90 - £4.10 depending on brand, with some brands again incurring a supplement of £1.20 for those on the Drinks Package. In the main Lager, beer and cider was £3.70 but here again there were supplements of £2+ for certain brands for Drinks Package passengers. Water was expensive at £1.90 so we stocked up when ashore.

Hope this helps

Suzanne

Hi we going next week are the TVs in cabin old or have they updated them.

We have had flat screen TVs on our last 2 Thomson cruises.

Thank you campolady looks like you were on there this month, was the entertainment good? as last year was on the dream and the entertainment team were all young and didn't mix with us passengers.

:mad:

Thank you campolady looks like you were on there this month, was the entertainment good? as last year was on the dream and the entertainment team were all young and didn't mix with us passengers.

:mad:

No, our last Thomson cruise was in November (on Dream). Great entertainment but the entertainers did not mix with passengers apart from the photo shoot night (after the penultimate show). In fact when we saw any of them around the ship they were very reserved/stand offish which was different to on all our previous Thomson cruises.

No, our last Thomson cruise was in November (on Dream). Great entertainment but the entertainers did not mix with passengers apart from the photo shoot night (after the penultimate show). In fact when we saw any of them around the ship they were very reserved/stand offish which was different to on all our previous Thomson cruises.

Thats odd we found the dream entertainment team very friendly was on oct, jan and feb, my mum was on the last cruise in oct over halloween and found them very friendly, and they always were mixing with the passengers