Any tips or tricks for Mahogany Bay port?

Qchell

This upcoming cruise we plan on skipping an excursion and just exploring the port area. It looks so pretty from the ship but we have gone on excursions in the past and have not taken the time to explore the actual port. Any tips or tricks you have discovered? Anything we want to be sure to check out?

Additionally, there are supposed to be 4 ships in port that day... how crowded does the port area get with that many ships in port?

Thanks in advance!

First of all, at Mahogany Bay, there'll only be 2 ships docked. The other two will be in Coxen Hole, either docked or taking a short tender ride.

But, that said, it is likely that MBCC beach will be crowded. So the tip is to get off the ship early and pick out the loungers you want as soon as you can. The very front rows will most likely be "reserved" for cruise ship excursions to the beach. But there are others and some will have a bit of shade. Have one of your party hold the fort and the others can go walking around or even back to the shopping area and ship, spelling the person(s) on the beach from time to time. You can either eat on the beach (your $) or back on the ship, coming and going as much as you'd like.

I've been all over the website and have combed through various threads so I know what the formal options are. Just curious about what folks have actually experienced. i.e. be sure to see XYZ, do not do ABC, go here for a great seating area, the ________ food at this spot is outstanding, hidden little garden path here, etc.

Do walk the little path and sit on the swing. Don't take the chair lift...over priced. Do the zip line instead if you want to see ocean views and have a longer time. Dolphin shows are ship excursion. Kayaks are limited to small inlet--not worth the $ for the short time. Snorkeling poor but better around the small pier near the breakwater. Food and drink at places on the beach is okay. Prices are reasonable. Same vendor and kitchen as I recall. Shops are shops but the open faced shops/kiosks near the gate have local/Honduran goods. Good coffee, guy hand rolls cigars if he's there.

Does that work?

• 2 weeks later...

Our party did the chairlift to the beach and enjoyed it. Tickets were only $9.95 pp bought on the ship, and it was fun to do. Others prefer to walk, and that's okay and fun also.

There was only our ship in port when we were there, free loungers were plentiful in both sun and shade. Drinks are readily available from a Fat Tuesdays type bar/grill. Someone said it wasn't actually a Fat Tuesdays, and perhaps not, but the drink tumblers read 'Fat Tuesdays'. It really isn't important for the name of the place, what is important is that drinks are easily available. You can go to/from the ship to beach at your leisure and go back to ship anytime, plus return to beach again as long as you still have the wrist band on your arm.

It was an inexpensive and effortless fun day. Enjoy your cruise

Hi, I posted a review of our stay at the port on the beach and ziplining. I have posted prices of anything we came across and took a picture of the menu at the beach too. You can find it all here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...1#post50700748

( or click the Roatan link in my signature)

Thank you!! Really looking forward to checking the port out this time around.