Best Buy/Favorite purchase in Ports

There was a thread on here a few years ago asking everyone to share their favorite finds in port. Both in terms of "least expensive souvenier to bring home" and "favorite purchase".

I can no longer find the thread, so I thought I would restart it.

Here were my picks from our last Med trip. We are doing the Western Med next month, so would love to hear from anyone with experience with those ports.

Venice - Watches that had Murano glass faces and said either Venice or Venezia. They were 15 euro at the time (2006). They are probably not the real Murano, but everyone loves my watch and compliements me on it all the time. Some even have the gondola on the backs of them.

Venice (2) - Murano beaded necklaces and earrings (again probably not the real deal, but we were buying these for 3 to 5 euro each and they made great gifts).

Venice (3) - Leather purse that said Venice on the front. I bought one for a gift and never did get one for myself. Went back on our last day in Venice to find another one and couldn't. :(

Athens - handmade soaps with olive oil in them. They were 1 euro each - again nice gift. I also bought a replica of a Greek vase. I have that on my mantle. Nice reminder. Both purchased in the Plaka.

Mykonos - fell in love with the 18k Byzantine jewelry and my husband bought me a ring there. I saw a similar ring in St. Thomas last February and it was 3x what we paid. Not a cheap souvenier, but one I really love.

Rhodes - Handmade coffee mug that says "Rodos". My favorite mug - I use it every day.

Dubrovnik - There is a man who makes charms/jewelry that are etched with scenes of the city. They were very reasonably priced. If you are heading to the section of town where the walk of the wall starts, his shop was down one of those alleys on the left side.

Ok, share away..

Other than watercolor painting from Rome, a E10 bag that I bought at the Catacombs - I used it all the time - it has "Roma" on the front with a zipper. Love it!

In Venice we took a boat ride to Burano and I found some gorgeous lace things (some framed) - I kept one and gave the others as unique gifts. Beautiful.

I was in Sorrento and came across a shop selling limoncello, creme de limoncello and these little yellowish green limoncello candy covered nuts. The candies were so good that Im disappointed I only bought a tiny bag along with a small bottle of limoncello. They had gift packs of small bottles of limoncello(or creme de limoncello) and a bag of those candies that would have made nice souveniers. I really would love to have a bottle of the creme de limoncello. I'll just have to pay a visit to the amalfi coast again.

Nora

This is a great topic! We are on our first Med cruise next month so I'm interested to see what's mentioned.

I was in Sorrento and came across a shop selling limoncello, creme de limoncello and these little yellowish green limoncello candy covered nuts. The candies were so good

Nora

Looking forward to getting limoncello :) How is the creme de limoncello? The candy sounds good ~ hope I can find it too. Sorrento sounds like a wonderful town.

I LOVED that thread ! Found it very helpful for Med. trip 3 years ago.

Here's mine:

Florence......at San Lorenzo market....pashminas and silk scarves.

Venice...spices from the Rialto Bridge market,"mille fiori"...made into watches, pendants, book marks.Murano glass in various shaped pendants.Glass cherries !!! Glass rings(paid E5 and The Shopping Channel had what looked to be the same for $65 !! )

Rome....scarves

I'm sure I'll think of others later.

Enjoy,

Sharon

My purchases from our June Med cruise on the Pacific Princess:

- Corfu - beautiful olive wood kitchen utensils and salad bowls (since our return I have seen these utensils at Williams-Sonoma for about 3x what I paid) as well as inexpensive olive wood bangles for gifts

- Capri - lovely 2009 calendar that will hang in my office at work to remind me why I have to show up every day...

On my wish list for the return trip - a pair of the bejeweled, hand-made sandals from Capri ($$$)

Loved this thread! We will be on our eastern med. cruise in October and I often wondered what souvenirs I'd find. I know about the limoncello, olive oil, and wines, but what else? Thanks for everyone's input. I am definitely on a budget, though!

One other thing I wanted to mention. My parents did many of the same ports we will be doing this time last year. Near Sorrento they found a gift shop that had the prettiest wooden music boxes with inlaid scenes. They had similar ones that I saw in Sam's club (said made in Italy) and they were more expensive than what they had paid (even in euro).

I am looking for one of those myself...

Any other finds for Rome, Malta, etc?

We will also be in Lucca. I heard shopping is supposed to be better there than in Florence. If anyone has been and found something of interest, please let me know...

Happy cruising, and shopping..:)

I bought a small oil painting in Oia, Santorini. It hangs in our downstairs bathroom and whenever I see it I remember our cruise, which was 4 years ago.

We also bought an inlaid music box in Sorrento.

I also try to get a lapel pin from each place we visit, so I got a few on our 12 night cruise in 2004.

We are looking foreward to going to Venice this October and looking at glass items.

Julie

I just love Limoncello but I did find that at home at local good liquor store.

Florence is the best for shopping....

Leather purses...are a really good value.

stationary is outstanding. tassels and pillows.

Venice...Lovely for fortuny silk shawls, burano lace and of course Murano glass which I just love in any form.

Lemon soap from Amalfi Coast is a great souvenir.

Also calendars with the views..A perfect reminder of a great trip.

Greece, well I just love the olive oil soaps. And the Greek Jewelry that copies ancient models. I have several pieces that get lots of compliments.

I also love to pick up things that I use all the time..Kitchen towels in blue and white, wine stoppers and openers, aprons, cheese knives, book marks.

When I was in Florence a few years ago, I bought a black leather

coat and three leather purses ( one for me and one for each of my

daughters). I also bought a calendar and cut the pages out and

framed them and have them hanging in my kitchen.

Oh, I also bought olive oil for myself and for a gift for a friend.

Katakolon also has a shop with the olive wood bowls and salad fork and spoon. I love the salad servers I got. They wash up nicely and still look new.

In Nice, I got an "everyday" tablecloth for about 15E. It was made in Italy and has pictures of olive trees on it. Someone else in our tour group found a great tablecloth in St. Paul de Vence also. It was a better quality and also more expensive.

We brought some telephone and address books which have leather covers and etched map of the island on the cover. Also notebooks. They were very reasonable and were very well received by friends. We got some in the market at Valetta and others in Marsaxlokk.

Purchased a cameo in Florence. At a shop on the Ponte Vecchio. Also saw some in Corfu Town and in Ravello on the Amalfi coast. Buy at a nice store..... find one you like with a nice picture. And always offer less.

Favorite buys.

Hmmm

Florence: anything gold from the Ponte Vecchio :D Spent waaaay too much time (& $$) shopping there ! Also print of the city.

Rome: prints of the Coliseum and the Forum

Naples (amalfi): bought a 12 tile mosiac here. also a small rooster pitcher - there is a legend behind the rooster stuff you will see here.....ask someone :) lemoncello ! any any of the gorgeous ceramics here !

Corfu: ouzo, olive oil soaps, olive wood carvings and purchased a stunning gold coin ring for ds.

Dubrovnik: did not buy alot. Lace and embroidery items, 8 X 10 oil painting of the city, also saw some gold filigree ball earrings I wish I had bought. Seems they do filigree work there alot.

Nice: bought a print from Eze.

Aix-en-Provence: lavender items, cookbook

and always the neat overlay books from each site.

I was in Sorrento and came across a shop selling limoncello, creme de limoncello and these little yellowish green limoncello candy covered nuts. The candies were so good that Im disappointed I only bought a tiny bag along with a small bottle of limoncello. They had gift packs of small bottles of limoncello(or creme de limoncello) and a bag of those candies that would have made nice souveniers. I really would love to have a bottle of the creme de limoncello. I'll just have to pay a visit to the amalfi coast again.

Nora

This is the same way I feel about the olive-oil soap I bought in Athens. I wish I had purchased at least 10 bars. Hopefully, some day we'll go back and I can!!!:) :o

For myself, I may get a museum art book when I visit a museum. Shopping is not my main focus when traveling, but here are some items that I have gotten on my trips which are quite inexpensive.

Venice: I bought a poster of an icon at the Greek icon museum and church of St George slaying the dragon. This was inexpensive and I framed it placing it above my fireplace. I absolutely smile everytime I walk down my stairs and remember my trip.

Corfu: Small painted icons at a monastery in Corfu.

Athens: In the Plaka, olive oil soap, blue glass evil eye, silver cross necklace

Rhodes: more olive oil soap and evil eyes, but the prices were better in Athens.

Rome: The first time I went to Rome, I got rosaries for Catholic friends and co-workers. People who were not Catholic got lemoncello from Sorrento and were upset because the other co-workers got rosaries. On second visit to Rome, bought everyone rosaries and all were happy. (actually, this was the most requested item when I asked people what they wanted). Also bought calendars in Rome, very inexpensive but nice quality.

Florence: My mom bought kitchen towels for 1 euro each of a map of Italy in the outdoor markets. Most of her friends framed this and hang it in their kitchens. Bookmarks. An antique looking paper mache angel to hang over my navity during Christmas.

Keep the suggestions coming. Only 7 more days till I leave on the Grand Princess for a Western Med cruise!!

Marina

travl2day,

I bought a beautiful cameo pendant and earrings at the Cameo factory right outside of Naples. It was very interesting to watch them carve the cameos. We really didn't pay much more than what we saw in the stores and we knew we were getting the real thing. There are many manufactured ones out there, not hand carved.

I knew there was something else......when I first read this suggestion I didn't think much of it,but have changed my mind !!

In a small shop ( I found them in a Tabac shop in Rome), you can purchase a pen, note pad or fridge magnet.....everytime I go to my fridge,I see this beautiful sunrise picture of the Tiber and the Vatican.Small things that remind you of your wonderful trip.

I also enjoy anything from the Museum shops.

Sharon

My husband bought shoes and I bought two pair of sandals in Cadiz., Spain They are probably two of the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned.

Filigree gold in Portugal.

Leather pocketbooks in Florence.

We always try to buy some piece of artwork, either oil or a watercolor. It's so nice to have pictures around the house to remind us of all the wonderful places we have been.

travl2day,

I bought a beautiful cameo pendant and earrings at the Cameo factory right outside of Naples. It was very interesting to watch them carve the cameos. We really didn't pay much more than what we saw in the stores and we knew we were getting the real thing. There are many manufactured ones out there, not hand carved.

We will be going there in October. Were the cameos very expensive?

Rhodes: my co-workers loved the olive oil soap and evil eyes, sold bundled together for cheap at the Lindos bus stop. Our guide in Turkey explained the evil eyes as "protect you from others' negative energy", and my New Age co-workers adored that terminology! The Lindos bus stop also had great prices on vacuum-packed olives and other food items.

Turkey: evil eye glass and silver bracelets in the Grand Bazaar. A big hit for gifts, and I kept one for myself. Turkish delight candy also a big hit, but goes stale quickly.

Rome: for religious in-laws, we bought beautiful semi-precious rosaries, Mary cameo pendant set in gold, and prayer cards. Another big hit. The famous "Popener" (Pope bottle opener) is fun for both the religious and the hip heathens.

The 24K gold at Mykonos and Santorini was beautiful, and the designs were exquisite. We wished we'd bought some.

Limoncello and olive oil... yes, you can get great quality in Europe, but we can buy this stuff at home too, without paying a premium for overweight suitcases and lugging the extra weight around.