Best Buy/Favorite purchase in Ports

Ah, shopping...where to begin.

Amalfi Coast--lemoncello; lemon soap, lemon towels...all inexpensive. (One of the towns, maybe Ravello (?) had a nice cameo shop.

Purchased nice Amalfi ceramic plate to hang (much cheaper than Florence).

Florence- on the hill above Florence I purchased a hand made (tiny glass beaded) flowery necklace pennant --it is beautiful! In Florence we purchased leather wallets for the men in the family. Silk scarves for the ladies. They had nice tapestry pillows with Italian Scenes and I wish I would of purchased a couple (in the open market by the boar statue).

Venice- Murano glass (buy in Venice and not on Murano as their prices were much higher). Masks for wall hanging. Beads for Pandora bracelets. Bought aprons and had names sewn on them. Venzia totes. Captains hats for children.

Rome- the books with the clear covers of before/after what the colloseum looked like then and now...nice!

Dubrovnik- Silver ball on a chain--made from old armory (beautiful, elegant & real silver)

Santorini- hand made donkey bells...love them hanging on my back door!

Amalfi Coast--lemoncello; lemon soap, lemon towels...all inexpensive. (One of the towns, maybe Ravello (?) had a nice cameo shop.

Florence- on the hill above Florence I purchased a hand made (tiny glass beaded) flowery necklace pennant --it is beautiful! In Florence we purchased leather wallets for the men in the family. Silk scarves for the ladies. They had nice tapestry pillows with Italian Scenes and I wish I would of purchased a couple (in the open market by the boar statue).

Venice- Murano glass (buy in Venice and not on Murano as their prices were much higher). Masks for wall hanging. Beads for Pandora bracelets. Bought aprons and had names sewn on them. Venzia totes. Captains hats for children.

Rome- the books with the clear covers of before/after what the colloseum looked like then and now...nice!

Dubrovnik- Silver ball on a chain--made from old armory (beautiful, elegant & real silver)

OOOOO you found some nice stuff !!!! And I AM a shopper for sure !!!!! Heading to a few of these ports again in October so I am making notes ;)

It is Ravello for the cameo shop.

Just came home from an Eastern Med trip and picked up some lovely items

Ephesus - Ended up buying a hand woven silk carpet for my living room ... it is so gorgeous, bright bold colors and so soft :) I didn't think I would do it but I fell in love

Messina - Ceramic wall hanging of the symbol of Taormina

Athens - Replica greek pottery which looks terrific in my house!

Those have been my favorites so far :)

This is a great topic! We are on our first Med cruise next month so I'm interested to see what's mentioned.

Looking forward to getting limoncello :) How is the creme de limoncello? The candy sounds good ~ hope I can find it too. Sorrento sounds like a wonderful town.

We bought larger bottles of Limoncello at the duty free in Rome before we flew home. Love both the cream and regular. Also bought a sampler pack..one has raspberry limoncello...it was wonderful.

The prices were much better and we put them in our carry on bags..no need to worry about packing them in our checked luggage. Large bottles were about $10.00 US dollars...much less expensive than in Sorrento.

Sorrento is wonderful....we're also stopping there again this year, as well as Positano, and the Amalfi Coast.

Edited by midwestchick

• 4 months later...

Rome and Barcelona - I went a little crazy buying scarves but each time I wear one it is a reminder of our magical trip.

Florence - The leather goods are incredible. I got a beautiful purse that would have cost several hundred in the US and paid equivalent to $100 US. It is so soft and unique. This was my best purchase.

My husband likes to collect tshirts from Hard Rocks in the foreign countries we visit. He isn't a big shopper, but it is a great way for him to have something to remember our trip by. Also doesn't cost much so there is more money left for me. :)

We have another trip planned next fall and are excited to see what we can find in Venice, Greece, Malta, the Amalfi Coast, and of course, I will have to get myself another leather purse and possibly a pair of leather boots in Florence!

Thanks for the great information! I am excited to follow this post.

Edited by lidopuppy

Rome and Barcelona - I went a little crazy buying scarves but each time I wear one it is a reminder of our magical trip.

Florence - The leather goods are incredible. I got a beautiful purse that would have cost several hundred in the US and paid equivalent to $100 US. It is so soft and unique. This was my best purchase.

My husband likes to collect tshirts from Hard Rocks in the foreign countries we visit. He isn't a big shopper, but it is a great way for him to have something to remember our trip by. Also doesn't cost much so there is more money left for me. :)

We have another trip planned next fall and are excited to see what we can find in Venice, Greece, Malta, the Amalfi Coast, and of course, I will have to get myself another leather purse and possibly a pair of leather boots in Florence!

Thanks for the great information! I am excited to follow this post.

Malta...a nice tablecloth with the Maltese cross on it. But...take your tape measure along.:confused:

Positano...gorgeous clothing. :D

We got back from our 4th Med cruise early November....... we shopped alot again this trip !!!! :D

Rome - 3 leather purses (2 are Xmas gifts) and 2 leather wallets (1 is gift)

Amalfi coast - gorgeous white embroidered shirts (Positano)

Malta - placemats with the Maltese cross embroidered in gold thread (gorgeous) and no need for a tape measure ;) also a beautiful brass dolphin doorknocker (brass and heavy but I put in wheeled carry on)

Mykonos - gorgeous pair of 18k gold earrings (Byzantine style) with small emeralds and blue and pink sapphires.....

Ephesus - 2 carpets 1-10X14 for new living room and 1-4X6 for entry hall

Rhodes - another gorgeous white embroidered blouse and an 18k gold ring with Alexander the Great coin surrounded by diamonds for dh.....

Brought home a few other small trinket items ..... and a ton of wonderful pictures !!!!

We found EVERYONE very willing to bargain this trip...... more so than in the past visits.....

texancruiser...

Yes, we found many people willing to negotiate in Sept. I absolutely loved shopping in Greece, especially Rhodes. I bought turquoise colored opal necklace and earrings...necklace is a beautiful starfish. I finally found an ankle bracelet...white and yellow gold.....purse and shoes and of course, a couple embroidered tops.

I'm still disappointed about my maltese table cloth. :( :( But I bought one in Rhodes also...fits perfectly and so beautiful. :D I think we spent more money in Greece than anywhere. Dropped some $$$$$$$ in Sorrento on my Pinocchio figurine.

Midwestchick: I love shopping just about anywhere in Europe (or anywhere else for that matter) :D

We blew some really serious cash on the Turkish rugs !!! But they are gorgeous and are the type to be handed down to kids, grandkids etc etc....

And thank goodness for the VAT refund......the jewelry and leather goods really added up too ...... cant wait to go back ;)

Midwestchick: I love shopping just about anywhere in Europe (or anywhere else for that matter) :D

We blew some really serious cash on the Turkish rugs !!! But they are gorgeous and are the type to be handed down to kids, grandkids etc etc....

And thank goodness for the VAT refund......the jewelry and leather goods really added up too ...... cant wait to go back ;)

Unfortunately no one mentioned the VAT refund and I totally forgot about it :o since we've only cruised the Med once and a very nice shop owner in Positano told me about it. I'm sure I could have collected some money......that was my bad for not being savvy.:confused: But I did get a decent discount and free shipping from the shop owner in Sorrento for my figurines....note to self....VAT!

I'm not that much of a shopper, but that's how I always feel too -- can't wait to go back. Looking forward to two weeks in Italy in February and then another Med cruise in the fall.

Off topic for this thread, but how was your stay at the Danieli in Venice?

I'm not that much of a shopper, but that's how I always feel too -- can't wait to go back. Looking forward to two weeks in Italy in February and then another Med cruise in the fall.

Off topic for this thread, but how was your stay at the Danieli in Venice?

Cynthia, you are indeed lucky to be able to visit so often !!!! Mike was in pure misery after being gone for 3 weeks when he got back to the office ...... so we just cant do it as often as we would like - YET !

We had a great trip ! Took it alot easier since we had MIL/FIL with us. Our stay at the Danieli was really nice ! What a beautiful place ! They gave us a wonderful room on the front with views of the main canal, churches etc.... and we were just steps from St. Marks. They have installed these ramp like additions to the steps on many bridges which made it easy for MIL wheelchair. We had a nice afternoon sightseeing with them. Oddly I found Venice was nice but it didnt WOW me like others have said. We did REALLY enjoy the opera (Madame Butterfly) at La Fenice (gorgous opera house) and I even cried at the end :(

Cynthia, you are indeed lucky to be able to visit so often !!!! Mike was in pure misery after being gone for 3 weeks when he got back to the office ...... so we just cant do it as often as we would like - YET !

We had a great trip ! Took it alot easier since we had MIL/FIL with us. Our stay at the Danieli was really nice ! What a beautiful place ! They gave us a wonderful room on the front with views of the main canal, churches etc.... and we were just steps from St. Marks. They have installed these ramp like additions to the steps on many bridges which made it easy for MIL wheelchair. We had a nice afternoon sightseeing with them. Oddly I found Venice was nice but it didnt WOW me like others have said. We did REALLY enjoy the opera (Madame Butterfly) at La Fenice (gorgous opera house) and I even cried at the end :(

Yes, I'm very lucky -- I enjoy my work and it allows me to travel. :)

I'd love to attend an opera at La Fenice -- good for you for going! I've had drinks at the Danieli and always thought it would be fun to stay there. Venice is one of those places where a splurge seems worth it.

Turkish coffee cups, the little cups made of zinc that came with a dome shape lid and a ceramic cup inside. Got these at the store right outside the back exit of Spice Bazaar in Istanbul. Bargained down to TL 5.00 per set, probably could go lower, but I was happy so it was a deal. Got four sets for TL 20.00 (US $10.00). Don't know how to put pictures here, but if you check my blog I have pictures posted. Best souvenir from Turkey.

• 3 months later...
I bought some in Barcelona and some in Malaga. Surprisingly, they are not that easy to find. I found them on my wanderings through the shopping areas.

We found some lovely fans for our grandchildren in Malaga...from a street vendor. Sadly, didn't buy any for ourselves...so are returning in October on a TA...and that's on my list!

• 3 weeks later...
We found some lovely fans for our grandchildren in Malaga...from a street vendor. Sadly, didn't buy any for ourselves...so are returning in October on a TA...and that's on my list!

Here is my biggest problem...I buy things to give as gifts and get home and realize I can't give them away. ;) I have to buy two of everything I think from now on.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 3 weeks later...