Venice Airport: Arrivals to Water Taxi?

GeezerCouple

We'll be arriving in Venice at Marco Polo Airport, after an overnight flight and then a connecting flight to Venice.

We'll be tired, and I'm having some physical difficulties that might still be a bit of a problem in two months or so.

The main problem will be with luggage. DH might need to cart everything that both of us have, in a worst case scenario.

If we reserve a private water taxi, we understand their "desk" is just outside the gate in the "arrivals hall".

How far is it from there to reach the actual water taxi, and what type of transportation is available or required?

Is there porter assistance, etc.?

Many thanks!

GeezerCouple

It is several hundred yards from the luggage arrival hall to the airport docks. It can take up to 10 minutes for a slow walker. While porters can be difficult to find, they do exist although you will be charged nearly 5 Euros per bag (this is not a tip...but rather a posted fee) to use a porter. An alternative is to simply get a Luggage Cart (they cost about 50 cents) from the rack and roll your own luggage.

Hank

It is several hundred yards from the luggage arrival hall to the airport docks. It can take up to 10 minutes for a slow walker. While porters can be difficult to find, they do exist although you will be charged nearly 5 Euros per bag (this is not a tip...but rather a posted fee) to use a porter. An alternative is to simply get a Luggage Cart (they cost about 50 cents) from the rack and roll your own luggage.

Hank

Perfect - thanks so much.

It's been a *very* long time since we were in Venice, and we didn't use the airport at all. Friends drove us there, and we stayed a bit longer, and then we took trains to their house in Torino.

So I had no idea if airport arrivals to docks usually required a taxi or what.

(Sorry if that sounds silly.)

A luggage cart should be fine for what you are describing.

I might need to start posting more on the Disabled Travelers section of CruiseCritic soon :(

We seem to have "waited a bit too long" to start our major travels.

However, we are *determined* to make the best of it, and travel as much as we can, although we may need to change some hoped-for destinations.

This will make a lot of transfers more expensive, but that beats staying home or avoiding some destinations entirely :)

So Venice is one of the places we need to get to while we are doing our "best", rather than waiting much longer.

(My injury may heal, but we are beginning to worry that it won't. So we are planning for whatever may come.)

This is a special anniversary trip, and Venice was at the top of the list for ages.

Thanks again.

GeezerCouple

This article discusses how to reach the docks, luggage carts etc. (just ignore the alilaguna info).

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/alilaguna-and-water-taxis.htm

Are you travelling to a hotel with a private dock?

Thanks very much.

This is very helpful.

(We had found some of this, but not the information about the airport and water taxi & alilaguna.)

Yes, our hotel has a private dock.

This is a very special anniversary for us, to we splurged.

And now I'm especially glad that we did, because I suspect we won't get back to Venice.

It would be wonderful if I'm wrong, of course!

This particular trip isn't actually a cruise at all, and we'll be doing some additional travel by train until our (Italian) friends meet us. Then it will be much easier for us, by car.

But cruises are so much easier in general, and we've got quite a few reserved. We've bumped up the ones where the excursions are likely to be a bit more active (even when taken "easy").

We figure if we have to pay a bit more for extra assistance in various ways, so be it. That just means one less trip every now and then, but at least we'll still be traveling :)

GeezerCouple

Excellent attitude! We are in our large 60's and still fairly fit but we are now willing to pay for more ease in our travels. We did some traveling by train in Italy last year and hardest part was lifting luggage onto the train....we did have offers to help lift and took them judiciously. We have 2 Travelon 24" 4 wheel cases and small roll a boards that attach so that we can very easily roll our own luggage everywhere. Sounds like you will have a wonderful time no matter what!

Geezer couple. What we link did u use to book your shuttle

The web site for the water taxi co-op is:

http://www.motoscafivenezia.it/eng/

Maybe you can find someone on your roll call to share a private water taxi??

The shared water taxi is:

http://www.venicelink.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=000flypage_escursioni.tpl&product_id=54&category_id=10&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=43&lang=english

mapleleaves, thanks for the weblink; unfortunately I can not book on the website; I am looking at 8 May and the web site says due to public events I can not book online; so not sure what is going on.

I emailed them; they told me the date I want is not available online; they said I can call them and book over the phone or just wait until I arrive and go to their kiosk in arrivals hall.

I emailed them; they told me the date I want is not available online; they said I can call them and book over the phone or just wait until I arrive and go to their kiosk in arrivals hall.

We always just book at the arrivals hall, so there's no issue in doing so. . .

I wonder what's happening on the 8th. Oh well, as CathyCruises said you can just walk up to their counter to reserve a ride. It's a co-op so there will be availability.

I will probably do just that. Book when I arrive.

They give you a voucher and you just walk down to the docks and hand it to the guy, it's really simple.

The other thing we've done is to stand there at the desk and ask if anyone wants to share, that's worked well for us too. Takes an extra 10-15 minutes to save 50 euro!