Oceania vs. Crystal Cruises

LauraS

• 3 weeks later...

I am surprised that sometimes, the price is equal. So far, I haven't looked at Crystal because I don't like formal nights. I have survived formal nights on HAL and Princess with black linen pants and some appropriate top. Is that possible on Crystal or would I be sticking out negatively?

I practice Tai Chi and I like off the beaten path itineraries. According to this comparison, Crystal offers both. It might be a line to consider after all.

How about the food? Some of my favorites on Oceania are fresh berries for breakfast, ice cream, sushi, French bread and cheese.

I am surprised that sometimes, the price is equal. So far, I haven't looked at Crystal because I don't like formal nights. I have survived formal nights on HAL and Princess with black linen pants and some appropriate top. Is that possible on Crystal or would I be sticking out negatively?

I practice Tai Chi and I like off the beaten path itineraries. According to this comparison, Crystal offers both. It might be a line to consider after all.

How about the food? Some of my favorites on Oceania are fresh berries for breakfast, ice cream, sushi, French bread and cheese.

Formal night on Crystal is much less formal than previously. Men don't even have to wear a tie, just a jacket. My "official" Crystal formal wardrobe on BTO night is black slacks and various tops.

As for food, it's wonderful! Sushi - the Asian specialty restaurant is Nobu!

I think you should give Crystal a try.

Lounge? Is that the place on the Riviera where they have afternoon tea? ;) It's a gorgeous ship with great pastries.

We got the Ponant catalog yesterday and again they have a few itineraries that nobody else does including Mangareva, an island group in French Polynesia where nobody else stops. I am seriously tempted.

Lounge? Is that the place on the Riviera where they have afternoon tea? ;) It's a gorgeous ship with great pastries.

We got the Ponant catalog yesterday and again they have a few itineraries that nobody else does including Mangareva, an island group in French Polynesia where nobody else stops. I am seriously tempted.

A "lounge" is typically a bar but can also be used for other activities. Oceania's Riviera does have afternoon tea in a lounge.

Now a stupid question (or one that I'm too lazy to look up). Is English the first language on Ponant? Thanks!

Now a stupid question (or one that I'm too lazy to look up). Is English the first language on Ponant? Thanks!

French is, but it seems they cannot fill their ships with French passengers only and therefore market to English speakers. On our cruise last year with Ponant, French and English were used. (Hongkong - Tinanjin - Osaka) The cruise and the hotel director were bilingual and made a real effort to keep in contact with the English speakers (mainly Australians, some Scandinavians and other English speakers). All announcements were in both languages. All excursions were offered in both languages. The waiters in our favorite section were from Bali and spoke English. They said their French was not good.

The cruise I am looking at is from Tahiti to Easter Island and the expert speaker on the area is an American archeologist. The speakers on our b2b cruises were French with limited English language skills.

Edited by Floridiana

French is, but it seems they cannot fill their ships with French passengers only and therefore market to English speakers. On our cruise last year with Ponant, French and English were used. (Hongkong - Tinanjin - Osaka) The cruise and the hotel director were bilingual and made a real effort to keep in contact with the English speakers (mainly Australians, some Scandinavians and other English speakers). All announcements were in both languages. All excursions were offered in both languages. The waiters in our favorite section were from Bali and spoke English. They said their French was not good.

The cruise I am looking at is from Tahiti to Easter Island and the expert speaker on the area is an American archeologist. The speakers on our b2b cruises were French with limited English language skills.

Thank you for your response. It is interesting from a few perspectives. Firstly, I am surprised that they cannot fill the ships with French speakers. Second, it is interesting to know that many crew members speak English.

My only issue with announcements in more than one language is that we spent too many years going to various Club Meds (when it was French - not Chinese as it is now). Hearing announcements in two, three and sometimes four languages (as was done in Club Med) got quite tiring after a while. Think we'll stick with English speaking cruise lines.