Dining venues' varying dress codes

jg51

This is posted in the Chronicles provided on the first day of each cruise:

"Dress Code after 6:00 onboard Silver Spirit. To accommodate all lifestyles, Silver Sea had introduced casually elegant dining for those guests choosing a slightly more relaxed ambiance on formal evenings. Following dinner, all guests are free to take advantage of any or all of the pubic spaces for both entertainment or cocktails, and after dinner drinks.

Informal dining in La Terrazza- Guests who do not wish to dine formally in the Restaurant may dine in informal attire in La Terraza (which defines dresses or pantsuits for the Ladies, jackets for the Gentlemen (tie optional).

Casual dining at The Grill - Guests wishing to enjoy dinner without following a more formal dress code may op to dine pool side at The Grill. The dress code for The Grill is set as casual for every evening (dresses or blouses and pants for ladies; sport shirts and slacks for the Gentlemen)."

Hope this helps.

I certainly could be wrong about this. I have about 235 nights on Silversea. I've always been told that La Terraza requires a man to wear a jacket at night. So we've always treated it as an "informal" venue. Again I certainly could be wrong as things are constantly influx. Hope you enjoy your cruise...

Was on the Whisper in January and the Cloud in April of this year. Since they know we never bring anything other than casual wear; they reminded me that it's always casual dining in La Terraza every night. Although I do admit you do feel funny sitting there dressed casual with a button down shirt and almost every other male is wearing a jacket. When we see that we usually don't want to feel uncomfortable and return to our room for dining.

Edited by carefreecruise

I certainly could be wrong about this. I have about 235 nights on Silversea. I've always been told that La Terraza requires a man to wear a jacket at night. So we've always treated it as an "informal" venue. Again I certainly could be wrong as things are constantly influx. Hope you enjoy your cruise...��

Was on the Whisper in January and the Cloud in April of this year. Since they know we never bring anything other than casual wear; they reminded me that it's always casual dining in La Terraza every night. Although I do admit you do feel funny sitting there dressed casual with a button down shirt and almost every other male is wearing a jacket. When we see that we usually don't want to feel uncomfortable and return to our room for dining.

What about buying a jacket and taking it with you so that you do not feel uncomfortable and have to go back to your suite to dine?

Alaskan cruises on the Shadow are more casual than other SS cruises. Fewer people seem to dress up for formal/informal night. Men in sport jackets and ties were more common; however, there were a number of men wearing tuxedos. And women wearing long dresses. On a 7 day cruise there is one formal/ informal option night and one informal night other nights were casual.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

That may be how you'd like to see it, but Silversea is our host, and they have no requirement for men to wear a tie on informal nights.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Carefully reading I suspect you added an -in- to the formal. Collar and long pant, add jacket, add tie were the 3 levels- casual, informal, formal (do I have that in order?)

Of course now Silversea has added things like elegant casual, casual elegant, and not sure what else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by 5waldos
nm

I certainly could be wrong about this. I have about 235 nights on Silversea. I've always been told that La Terraza requires a man to wear a jacket at night. So we've always treated it as an "informal" venue. Again I certainly could be wrong as things are constantly influx. Hope you enjoy your cruise...

That is an interesting observation, as the dress code for La Terrazza on the Cloud in April stated the following:

On formal evenings, Guests who do not wish to dine formally in the Restaurant may dine in casually elegant attire in La Terrazza ..... and an open necked shirt with a jacket (tie optional) for Gentlemen.

Methinks the Maitre D in La Terrazza either did not wish to make a fuss or took pity on you.

Wow… that’s a great idea, why didn’t I think of that…

That's the point.

Why would you want to dine in your suite when a simple piece of clothing gets you a table at a restaurant,unless you do not wish to interact with the other guests.

That's the point.

Why would you want to dine in your suite when a simple piece of clothing gets you a table at a restaurant,unless you do not wish to interact with the other guests.

Doesn’t bother me, I could easily bring a sport coat and get by nicely. But am traveling with an OVERLY sensitive spouse who is up to date with current fashion and a local food critic. Constantly critiquing the guests 40 year old dress clothing and asking the butlers why their suites are not tailored for them. Also have to hear her ask “why do we need to dress differently to eat in the same restaurant with the same menu just because it’s the next day”? and “Why do we need to get dressed up to eat frozen food”? I would rather just eat in the room having the chef make something special and not put any more coins in her getting her all wound-up….. Just easier I guess…

We used to do the whole thing many years ago but the packing was ridicules and we found it better to pack light and if something special needs to be packed we would rather pack a wet-suit, ridding clothing or hiking gear before bringing Formal stuff. We are both spoiled with fine dining around the world and would rather enjoy the day and not worry about ship dining...

Edited by carefreecruise