Postcards home from port stops

SAEMike

We went to Bermuda this summer and took the ferry to St. George.

Visited St. Peter's Church. Made a donation and was given one of their post cards.

On the walk back to the ferry we passed the post office. Went in and purchased a stamp (76 cents) wrote my father's address and "Having a great time!" then mailed it there.

It arrived 11 days later and my father loved it!

Happy Sailing!

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

I travel a decent amount and always like to send postcards back from countries I visit. From my experience, every country is different with the quality of their post offices. Sometimes postcards that I send later arrive before those that I sent earlier even though the countries are bordering each other. It's weird. To hedge my bets, I have 2-3 people that I usually send to and I'll send from post offices in different cities in a country. Kind of not putting all my eggs (postcards) in one basket (mailbox).

If you really want the local country stamp on your postcard, take the risk and send it out from each port. Just get the postage at the post office and drop it there yourself.

If you just want the cards to get to your friends quickly, send it out from a reliable post office at the end of your trip. If you sail from a US port, just write and collect all of the postcards and drop them off at a US post office right when you dock. They will probably get there before those you would have sent from international post offices outside the US and you'll likely save on postage.

Even though we always got home before the the postcards got to the folks back home, we had family that got a kick out of cards with the stamps from the countries we visited. We mailed a card to ourselves just to have an idea of when the cards would be arriving for family. It was fun to see the cards start coming in and our comments on what we were doing/enjoying that day.

Edited by griffy116

Love this thread! I, too, am a huge fan of postcards and try to send them from every country I visit. Writing is a dying art that I find so much more personal then a quick email that gets deleted after viewing. Postcards last forever. I am only 31 years old so have grown up with computers but I guess I long for the elegance of yesteryear! HAHA.

As others have said, from Europe they should arrive, albeit not always quickly. I've only done land trips to Europe so always send from local POs and never had experiences with people not receiving them. The biggest disappointment in international postcard mailings was actually Bermuda. We mailed directly at the PO in St Georges and only half of the recipients actually got them. I sent one home to myself and it never arrived, nor did the one I sent my best friend. Our running joke is that it is still floating around in the Bermuda Triangle! HAHA. Surprisingly enough, the fastest international postcards I have sent [other than from Canada] were from China; they usually only took around a week which is faster than most cards I've sent from European countries.

I will never forget sailing the Disney Magic as our first family cruise.

I placed our post cards at the mail box at customer service the night before St. Thomas................why did I think they would mail them from St. Thomas.....................................

When we got home about 2 weeks later, we got our postcards, Post marked Cocoa Beach.

Lesson learned.

I should have walked to the post office on St. Thomas, paid their fee and mailed them there.

Sea Ya