Normandy tours from Cherbourg

budster

Does anyone have any knowledge about tours from Cherbourg? Overlord tours is all booked already for their personalized tours. So far I cannot find anything to accomodate our time frame, about 6 hours. Has anyone been on a ship's tour out of Cherbourg to the D-Day Beaches? Our cruise is the Connie for April 08. Thanks in advance.:)

Does anyone have any knowledge about tours from Cherbourg? Overlord tours is all booked already for their personalized tours. So far I cannot find anything to accomodate our time frame, about 6 hours. Has anyone been on a ship's tour out of Cherbourg to the D-Day Beaches? Our cruise is the Connie for April 08. Thanks in advance.:)

We rented a car in Cherbourg and did the beaches. Car rental agency (prebooked through National) within walking distance of the pier. Good roads to the beaches.

Thanks so much for your help. I did try National Car Rental and they say no cars available?? I also think I have already emailed the tour company but will try again. We keep on running into deadends. Very frustrating.:(

I tried both websites. One was almost 800.usd for one day for a large van. The other required a 3 day minimum rental. Whew! I think we might be better off with a ship tour. Thanks for you assistance.:)

We rented a car from Hertz while in Le Havre (drove to the Canadian sites at Juno Beach). Hertz was a short cab ride from the pier (probably could have walked if we knew the route. There were just the two of us and we rented a Fiat Panda for approx 70 euros for the day. Only thing to remember is that there are a large number of toll booths (prob 15-20 euros) to deal with.

Thanks for the info on the rental cars and tolls. That is still very reasonable and I had not checked out Hertz. A van to accomodate 7 persons would be preferable but this is still a possibility. I will check their website and see if they have vans.:)

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from a cruise and 6 of us did a private D-Day tour. It cost us $186 per couple, and we spent 8 hours, leaving from Cherbourg at 9:30 am and returning at 5:30 pm. We saw Omaha Beach, Utah Beach, Ste. Mere Eglise (museum), and Pointe du Hoc. We had an excellent driver/guide who took us on one of the best tours we've ever been on!! The tour was arranged by "Normandy Sightseeing Tours".

Their web site is: http://www.normandywebguide.com

email address is fredericguerin@wanadoo.fr

If you need additional info, let me know.

• 6 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Are you by any chance on Seabourn Quest departing Barcelona on May 12 2015 and in Cherbourg on May 21? We are looking for Normandy tour when we are in Cherbourg and would be interested in sharing a tour with others.

I see you have started a roll call. That is where tour sharing is arranged.

Just returned from a cruise that stopped in Cherbourg for from 6 hours, and we used Trevor Standefor of American D-Day Tours. He was wonderful. We saw St. Mere Eglese, Pont du Hoc, Omaha Beach and the American Cemetery at Coleville. He made the whole event come alive for us.

We rented a car in Cherbourg during our port stop and did the American Cemetary , visitors center and walked down to Omaha Beachand back. We then drove to St.Mere Eglaise and enjoyed lunch and the delightful little WW II museum. It is well worth the effort if you have time.

We rented a car in Cherbourg during our port stop and did the American Cemetary , visitors center and walked down to Omaha Beachand back. We then drove to St.Mere Eglaise and enjoyed lunch and the delightful little WW II museum. It is well worth the effort if you have time.

How easy was the pick up / drop off of the car, and how long were you gone? I'm interested in renting a car next year when we will be there...just not sure of the timing and whether we will have enough time. We have been to Normandy once already, but my husband wants to go back. We will be able to do a bit of "picking and choosing" this time on which sites are most important to us. Thanks for your help!

How easy was the pick up / drop off of the car, and how long were you gone? I'm interested in renting a car next year when we will be there...just not sure of the timing and whether we will have enough time. We have been to Normandy once already, but my husband wants to go back. We will be able to do a bit of "picking and choosing" this time on which sites are most important to us. Thanks for your help!

Hertz was within about a ten minute walk from the dock. I would say the process was easy, and it is a straight shot to get to the highway (no toll on the highway) that goes to the Amercan Cemetary. That is as far south as we went. St. Mere Eglaise was on the way back. I think we picked up the car around 8:30 and returned it around 3 or 4 PM. Our only glitch is that we never found a gas station (there was one, we just missed it!) paid a hefty surcharge by returning it partially full. Oh well, it was a great day and worth it!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Hertz was within about a ten minute walk from the dock. I would say the process was easy, and it is a straight shot to get to the highway (no toll on the highway) that goes to the Amercan Cemetary. That is as far south as we went. St. Mere Eglaise was on the way back. I think we picked up the car around 8:30 and returned it around 3 or 4 PM. Our only glitch is that we never found a gas station (there was one, we just missed it!) paid a hefty surcharge by returning it partially full. Oh well, it was a great day and worth it!

Thank you; that is very helpful!!! :)