Back to drydock?

Yes, Meyer Werft has just released a press release (in German) and confirmed what has been written by an online paper in Bremerhaven:

The Quantum currently is on a sea trial to Norway. On October 19th she´s going to Hamburg into dry dock at Blohm & Voss, dock 17.

They have to adjust something with the bow thrusters and the scrubbers.

It´s still planned to hand the ship over to RCI on October 25th.

steamboats

Yes, Meyer Werft has just released a press release (in German) and confirmed what has been written by an online paper in Bremerhaven:

The Quantum currently is on a sea trial to Norway. On October 19th she´s going to Hamburg into dry dock at Blohm & Voss, dock 17.

They have to adjust something with the bow thrusters and the scrubbers.

It´s still planned to hand the ship over to RCI on October 25th.

steamboats

Thanks.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using forums app

The "Quantum of the Seas" is coming to Hamburg. The largest ever built in Germany cruise ship is expected to arrive at Blohm + Voss next Sunday. Reason, according to information from NDR 90,3 defects that were discovered during a test drive on the North Sea. In dry dock Elbe 17 therefore maintenance is planned. Originally, this shipyard stay was not planned. The Meyer shipyard in Papenburg officially confirmed on Monday that the ship prior to delivery in Hamburg again comes for inspection in the port of Hamburg.

Among other things, should be made to the bow thrusters of the nearly 168,000 gross registered tons big ship in Hamburg changes to the Seekastenabdeckungen the emission control system and final adjustments. Other preparations and the crew training aboard run according to the Meyer Werft unchanged on. The ship was designed to be the next Routinedockung is due in five years only again.

from

http://www.ndr.de/nachrichten/niedersachsen/Quantum-muss-ins-Dock-nach-Hamburg,quantum478.html

RCI does not officially own the ship yet. Until sea trials are completed, and all is signed off as being satisfactorily tested, Meyerwerft owns the ship. So the docking to repair the thrusters will be their cost, not RCI's. If the ship does not make the scheduled delivery date (the day that RCI signs the papers taking ownership), and if RCI has to cancel a cruise then they will charge Meyerwerft for the lost revenue, and Meyerwerft's insurance will cover it.

Hard to say how serious the problem with the thrusters is. While I have repaired thrusters in water, being as the ship is new, RCI may not sign off on an underwater repair. The scrubber issue would not require dry docking, just some time in shipyard, again hard to say how long.

I will also add that it is not at all uncommon for a ship to re-enter shipyard after sea trials to fix something. Not trying to focus on RCI, but one example that received great attention was Oasis, which had a pod problem on sea trials. It is not really the ship owners' fault when things like this happen, the ship owner's representatives in the shipyard are there only in an observer status, as the ship, as I've said, does not belong to the ship owner until the official delivery, after sea trials.

With a delivery date of 10/25, they had already built in time, post sea trials, for unanticipated repairs. Pretty standard practice, the more complex the ship, the longer the extra time allocated. During this time, finishing work and cleaning will continue in the guest and crew accommodations.

Edited by chengkp75

it MUST be pretty serious in order to have a dry dock!....this isnt cool RCI....

:confused:

(

inserts on my playlist the music

Nearer My God To Thee (Full Version)

)

Broken ship?? Oye.... clearly some people have no idea why sea trials are necessary and a major part of ship building. I guess this is one of those examples where too much information is a bad thing.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using forums app

I will also add that it is not at all uncommon for a ship to re-enter shipyard after sea trials to fix something. Not trying to focus on RCI, but one example that received great attention was Oasis, which had a pod problem on sea trials. It is not really the ship owners' fault when things like this happen, the ship owner's representatives in the shipyard are there only in an observer status, as the ship, as I've said, does not belong to the ship owner until the official delivery, after sea trials.

With a delivery date of 10/25, they had already built in time, post sea trials, for unanticipated repairs. Pretty standard practice, the more complex the ship, the longer the extra time allocated. During this time, finishing work and cleaning will continue in the guest and crew accommodations.

That's the main problem that Meyer Werft has. When the ships were built in Turku they had sea trials spaced months apart and long before delivery giving plenty of time to make repairs and adjustments. With Meyer Werft being land locked it's not an option until just before delivery making these things even more critical.

Not really, Meyer was always ahead of time with the Quantum. And there is still plenty of time. They do have docking space in Eemshaven and Bremerhaven. That´s where they start for the sea trials. The only thing they don´t have is a dry dock there. So they have to go to Hamburg or Rotterdam.

steamboats

I will also add that it is not at all uncommon for a ship to re-enter shipyard after sea trials to fix something. Not trying to focus on RCI, but one example that received great attention was Oasis, which had a pod problem on sea trials.

I'm pretty sure it was Freedom. It was documented on the Discovery Channel special. Which is sort of ironic since rumors are circulating that the Quantum build is being filmed by National Geographic for a special...

I'm pretty sure it was Freedom. It was documented on the Discovery Channel special. Which is sort of ironic since rumors are circulating that the Quantum build is being filmed by National Geographic for a special...

You're probably right. I look at the ships from the waterline down, not so much topsides, and the triple pod ships all look alike. :D

Really?

I wonder if they are going to be onboard for the Transatlantic to interview passengers

Ah thanks for clarifying that...

im sure they will fix it in time...and this was one of the main reasons why I didnt select an earlier cruise for this ship - i wanted to give them that extra month to fix stuff they find and to properly train/practice their staff - especially on a new ship! thus why im leaving in December!

Due to low water the Meyer Werft has decided that the Quantum will dock at Bremerhaven Cruise Center and not go up the Elbe river to Hamburg. So far the dry dock is just delayed not yet cancelled.

steamboats

Hard to delay something that was scheduled to start on the 19th and must be finished by the 23rd (25th at the latest) to stay on schedule.

Lasted news from Meyer:

Beginnig of the dry dock, Thursday Oct 23rd at 4 pm (German time)

End of dry dock, Saturday Oct 25th (most likely 5 pm)

After that more sea trials! The new date for handing over the ship to RCI is Monday Oct 27th in Bremerhaven.

All of course weather depending!

steamboats

Lasted news from Meyer:

Beginnig of the dry dock, Thursday Oct 23rd at 4 pm (German time)

End of dry dock, Saturday Oct 25th (most likely 5 pm)

After that more sea trials! The new date for handing over the ship to RCI is Monday Oct 27th in Bremerhaven.

All of course weather depending!

steamboats

Thanks for the update. Talk about a tight schedule, hopefully everything goes alright during the sea trials this time. They are truly in overtime with no room for error at that point.

Edited by DEIx15x8

They have to be in Southampton on the 31st (for the pre inaugural). So I´d say the 29th would be the day they definitely have to leave Bremerhaven to cross the Channel over to Southampton.

steamboats

Quantum is scheduled to arrive in Southampton on the 30th October, I would assume this is for her Coast Guard inspection before her 2 night Pre-Inaugural.

I was just checking the Southampton Port Schedule again and noticed that Quantum is/was scheduled to arrive on the 29th October -

QUANTUM OF THE SEAS 29-Oct-14 17:00 30-Oct-14 PM 102 INTERCRUISES

Then she is/was to move from Berth 102 to Berth 101 on 30th October -

QUANTUM OF THE SEAS 30-Oct-14 PM 31-Oct-14 17:00 101 INTERCRUISES

So if she is delivered to Royal on 27th then she has only 2 days to get to Southampton.