How and When to Find Good Flight Prices

So we paid an "ok amount" for our cruise next April. But when I look at currentl airline costs, its around $2400 for four of us to fly (Ontario to Fort Lauderdale). When I mentioned this to Dh, he made a comment that we can fly to say Tampa or Miami and then drive over if it'll save us money (or first drive to Buffalo and fly from there). He's ok spending money when it's important to him (i.e. on electronics) but he'll do anything so save if it's not. I don't want to add another 3hrs or more to our trip to save a few dollars. (And I have bad back so driving after or before a flight isn't a great option)

Any tips for getting good deals? We'll be flying April of 2016. (It's 2 weeks after Easter and no holidays here in Canada...but now I'm not sure as some US schools may have a break in April?)

Edited by LuCruise

If you look on the cruise air board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128

where this is discussed daily, you will see there is nothing you can do besides research. There is no magic time to buy (ignore that "Tuesday morning" or "Wednesday after midnight" stuff, just not true), secret website or other tricks. You just have to research.

Yes, you might find some good deals within 4 or 6 weeks of your flight date, but, on the other hand, if the flight you want is selling well, you might not find any good deals. Then you are left paying even more, or getting undesirable routings.

Having very specific and limited desires ("I want a non-stop X to Y on this day only) can also drive up your costs. Being flexible (accepting a stop, flying one day earlier or a day later) can help you save money. Yes, in some cases, accepting alternative airports can save you money, but be realistic. What are the additional costs involved in using the alternative airport? How much of your savings do they eat up?

Lastly, there is no correlation between airfare and cost of cruise. There are far too many variables- length of cruise, level of cabin, length of flight, etc. Don't fall into that trap. Just for example, we are doing a 17 day cruise in Australia in August, in a suite. The cruise fare is about $14K. However, as we are using miles, our first class airfare (our 30th wedding anniversary, so we are splurging, DW really deserves it) is free, other than about $200 in taxes.

Again, it is all about research. No one is going to be able to factually tell you "if go to this website" or "fly this airline" or "book this way", you will always get the best price. Frequently, after doing your research, you will find a price you are happy with, book it, and not look back.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Thanks so much. Neat site with the flight comparisons. Our cruise leaves on a Sunday so we are planning on flying in the Saturday. If any earlier, then the difference would have to be large to account for a hotel stay (plus we're already pulling our kids out of school for a week).

As for flights 4-6 weeks before, I think I'd be nervous taking a chance that there would be nothing left. We woud need four seats.

As for corelation between cruise and airfare...i know both can have inreased prices during busy season and holidays. But I guess the fact is that we have to add flight (and 1 night hotel) to our overall cruise cost to buget our vacation. Actually I added up an estimated number yesterday and yikes. It adds up. :(

I work as a Travel agent and do these flights all the time. Fares are high at the moment as most are based on the US Dollar and with the Canadian exchange it has pushed them up.

If you are flying from Toronto then flying into Miami will only save you about $50-60 per person and by the time to factor in the transfers it works out about the same.

I would start looking in May and probably book something by November, with the limited flights, only 3 directs a day, i would rather have a schedule i like.

Realistically you are probably looking at $520 Cdn pp, if you get a sale maybe $460

I work as a Travel agent and do these flights all the time. Fares are high at the moment as most are based on the US Dollar and with the Canadian exchange it has pushed them up.

If you are flying from Toronto then flying into Miami will only save you about $50-60 per person and by the time to factor in the transfers it works out about the same.

I would start looking in May and probably book something by November, with the limited flights, only 3 directs a day, i would rather have a schedule i like.

Realistically you are probably looking at $520 Cdn pp, if you get a sale maybe $460

Thank you so much. This really helps so I know around what price it would cost and what would be a sale...and also a range of when we should book. When I check for next April I'm seeing numbers around $2400 for four of us...which seems a bit pricey.

Thank you so much. This really helps so I know around what price it would cost and what would be a sale...and also a range of when we should book. When I check for next April I'm seeing numbers around $2400 for four of us...which seems a bit pricey. Hopefully the exchange rate will get a bit better.

Thank you so much. This really helps so I know around what price it would cost and what would be a sale...and also a range of when we should book. When I check for next April I'm seeing numbers around $2400 for four of us...which seems a bit pricey. Hopefully the exchange rate will get a bit better.

We just booked direct toronto to Miami for October $1050 taxes & fees included for two people return.

I also really like using Google flights to help with flight searches.

• 4 months later...

Not sure where you are in Ontario your located , but some parts aren't far from Detroit.

We're flying from Detroit to Ft. Lauderdale the end of August 2015....

FOUR of us --- direct flight for $645 ROUNDTRIP. We only about booked 6 weeks ahead.

It is through Spirit..(not my favorite airline) But hey its affordable and I needed that after paying lots for the cruise and other expenses.

I would defiantly check into flying our of somewhere else and I think the added drive may be worth it...

We are flying to Alaska next year for a cruise, and back from Vancouver. We got an Alaskan Airlines VISA card for $75 annual fee and saved $625 on airfare and checked bag fees, after the annual fee. We got a companion ticket for $99 plus taxes, saving $320 on one ticket, plus $75 in checked bags (3 of us), then used 20,000 of the bonus miles for a free ticket ($50 in fees) back from Vancouver, saving $225 plus $75 in checked bag fees.

I suggest looking into airline credit cards. We will cancel this one before it renews next year, after the $99 companion ticket posts to our mileage account.

We booked 10 months out, spacing the connecting flights well enough apart to give us some room for time shifts on any of the flights. Right now, the flight prices are $100 total over what we paid.

Funny how an old post of mine comes up (but still applies to anyone as flights are ongoing).

So we did book...shortly after they were released (about 11 months before our cruise). I was checking daily to get an idea and one morning, one popped up that met our preferred travel time and it was $500 cheaper than other flights. So we booked it. Seven hours later ...that same day , the price jumped back up. Not sure if it was a glitch at the time or a mini sale for half a day, but we got lucky.

Booking inexpensive flights can be hard to find. Generally, I say you should stick with one airline, so you can get the points, and book as early as possible. We generally book our flights 8 or 9 months before our cruise. By booking early, you can choose the time and day of your flight, so you can maximize your time in Fort Lauderdale or Miami. The only drawback is you are out of pocket the cost of flight long before you cruise.

I have found the cost of flying has gone up over the past few years.

We have a cruise booked for March 26, 2016 and we have already booked our flights.

Happy cruising!

Edited by WiseChoices