New Orleans restaurants

cruisebarbie

We are going on the Triumph in March and spending the night before and night after the cruise in New Orleans. We are going to be staying at the Drury Hotel and I was wanting to get some recommendations for restaurants in that area. It is going to be me, my husband and two boys (ages 12 and 9).

Thanks!

We walked to Brothers, which is ala carte. I had the rice and beans, medium sized bowl and a cup of seafood/shrimp gumbo. Delicious. The rice and beans was full of chunks of ham and lots of shrimp in the gumbo. Brothers is just out the side door and about 3 short blocks .. walk in the direction of the port. I think Brothers also had some meals, but I wanted to try certain foods.

You order which items you want from 3 sizes of bowls/cups.

Dont forget Drury will have the free drinks and finger foods. We had baked potatoes chips and dips and veggies and hot wings. You can check their menu ahead of time what they have. They make the drinks REALLY strong. One was enough to get me buzzed more than three of Carnivals drinks do.

They will give you 3 drink coupons each person (plus soda is free 24/7)

Thanks for the input, Firefly. I will definitely check out that restaurant. I also didn't realize we would get all that at the Drury. That's great!

Also, we were planning on having my husband drive our car to the port and drop us off and take the car back to the Drury and walk to the port. Is that feasible?

Vicki

Vicki,

Yes, we stayed at the Drury and I dropped of the wife and kids and bags at the port and drove back/parked and walked it. Not bad walk, but it was very humid!

This is probably our plan as well for the Triumph 3/12 this year.

Johnathon

Thanks for the input, Firefly. I will definitely check out that restaurant. I also didn't realize we would get all that at the Drury. That's great!

Also, we were planning on having my husband drive our car to the port and drop us off and take the car back to the Drury and walk to the port. Is that feasible?

Vicki

Traffic is a zoo at the port. We elected to walk, and it wasnt all that easy. First there was a block of bricks, to cross over with our wheeled suitcases.. then we couldnt figure out a way to avoid the stairs at the port. You have to get in back of the convention center, so its not so easy, especially if there is a convention going on and extra traffic.

We took the taxi back to Drury, lol .. but yes you can walk. I had to carry the suitcases down those stairs though .. there is supposed to be a way to get back there without those stairs, but its not like you have a birds eye view, you dont want to walk too far with suitcases.

PS besides loving the rooms at Drury ... the breakfast to us was good. Sausage and hot sauce and I didnt even see the waffle maker with all the other choices. The coke machine in in the breakfast area that you can always get soft drinks and coffee from.

I dont remember if they sent me a link or what, when they started the hot food. I dont know where to click to see what is offered on what nights.

5:30 Kickback®- Free Hot Food & Cold Beverages

Now Serving! Drury will let no guest go hungry... at least every evening from 5:30 to 7:00. All Drury hotels now offer free hot food & cold beverages for guests.* Our rotating menu features a variety of hot food, including hot dogs, chicken strips, chili, baked potatoes, meatballs and more! Plus, beer, wine, mixed drinks and soft drinks are served everyday. There’s something for everyone at Drury’s 5:30 Kickback. It's a snack for some, meal for others and free for all!

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is a longer, harder walk than some people. We had my son drop us off at the port with baggage and then take the car back to the Drury and get a cab back to the terminal (7.00). After the cruise we thought we would walk back to the hotel but only made it to the Hilton and the boys go get the cars and come back and get us. I know it's not a problem for some people (obviously) but I (and my husband) thought it was really a little to far to walk and pull luggage.

One of our favorites is Deanies seafood which is a couple of blocks off of Bourbon/Canal. Their main location is in Buckstown. The barbecue shrimp is really good there (not really barbecued).

http://www.deanies.com/

I like Deanie's, but it isn't exactly across the street from the hotel. They do serve a large quantity of quality food!

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/nola/food/foodPages/deanies.htm

If you go there, there is a special Bloody Mary (forget the exact name)

DSC_0856.JPG

There are so many fantastic restaurants in Nola, you have to really try hard to have a bad meal - just avoid national chains - Dragos at the Hilton. Near the riverwalk, is where the original chargrilled oysters originated. Everything there is great. , but never tryed the lobsters since it isnt local. We have been already 2 times to the new gastropub , Sylvain near jackson square. Stanley's is always crowded and the food is worth the wait. And as mentioned Mothers is great, and in the same area the is cafe Adelaide, and Bon Ton cafe...

I second Drago's: no reason to get an entree: just get 2 dozen chargrilled oysters! mmmmm.

Also, for hole-in-the-wall goodness, go to P&G two blocks away on Baronne: emphasis on hole-in-the-wall but *very* close by and definitely delicious for the price.

For splurging and close by, Herbsaint 2 blocks in the other direction on St Charles & Girod. Also heard August was good but never got to eat there, so can't vouch for it.

If you're traveling in early March, keep in mind that Mardi Gras is on the 9th of March this year and downtown is going to be a ZOO. As for food recommendations if you feel like having a great sit down meal check out Lüke on the 300 block of St. Charles.

For a nice breakfast check out Lil Dizzy's Cafe at 610 Poydras.

I don't know what is near the Drury, but here are my favorite places in New Orleans. I wouldn't let a taxi ride keep me from trying these.

Cafe du Monde is always a favorite for beignets (powdered sugar doughnuts) and coffee. Don't inhale when you take a bite or you will get powedered sugar in your lungs.

http://www.cafedumonde.com

Here are some very good restaurants, but expensive:

Brennan's is popular, especially for breakfast. http://www.brennansneworleans.com/

You might try this for breakfast before your cruise.

Emeril Lagasse has several restaurants. http://www.emerils.com/

Court of Two Sisters http://www.courtoftwosisters.com/

KPauls (Chef Paul) http://www.chefpaul.com/kpaul

• 2 weeks later...
There are so many fantastic restaurants in Nola, you have to really try hard to have a bad meal - just avoid national chains - Dragos at the Hilton. Near the riverwalk, is where the original chargrilled oysters originated. Everything there is great. , but never tryed the lobsters since it isnt local. We have been already 2 times to the new gastropub , Sylvain near jackson square. Stanley's is always crowded and the food is worth the wait. And as mentioned Mothers is great, and in the same area the is cafe Adelaide, and Bon Ton cafe...

We are a third vote for Drago's and their chargrilled Oysters. I cannot imagine going to NO and not going to Dragos for them. Probably the best dish in NO I have ever had.

Also I agree that you have to try to find a bad meal in NO. In all the times we have been there I don't believe we ever had a meal that wasn't delicious. And we have dined in everything from LITERAL holes in the wall to Mortons.

As many have said NOLA is full of great restaurants. Mothers on Poydras is close and good for lunch. Also try the Central Grocery on Decatur in the French Quarter (not far) to sample the ORIGINAL muffeletta sandwich (one will feed all of you). If you plan to eat a nice dinner some folks like Emeril's (Lagasse) in the warehouse district, but I still prefer K Pauls (Paul Prudhomme) in the French Quarter. And if you want to try Mark Twains favorite restaurant (no not Antoines) go to Tujaques on Decatur Street. Of course you can't go to NOLA w/o having cafe au lait and beignets at the Cafe Du Monde on the River in the Quarter. Really the only bad thing about food in NOLA is it puts cruise ship fare to shame.

Mardi Gras is on the 8th, not the 9th as previously posted.

Lots of great restaurants in New Orleans - you just need to pick a price range. I like Mandina's on Canal St. You can take the Canal St. streetcar. It used to be cash only, but they now take credit cards. Menu is varied, but they have good fried seafood and good Italian dishes. They are reasonably priced, too, since they have po-boy sandwiches on the dinner menu. It does get very crowded though.

A good website for N.O. restaurants: http://www.nomenu.com.

Archived