Paris Question?

amd1234

We are doing a last minute river cruise on Avalon fantastic deal 2 for one leaving Sept 8 Paris, Normandy. We are now scrambling trying to decide where to stay for one night in Paris. Two years ago we stayed three days precruise Hotel Muguet 7th arrondissement .. At that time we visited museums, Effile tower most tourist venues. We will be tired from an overnight flight. We are so excited to be visiting Paris again! What to do for one full day? Maybe just leisurely enjoy Paris but please give me a few recommendations..we thought of booking the Pullman Montpasses Avalon's Hotel precruise accommodation in Paris. Would appreciate suggestions other then this Hotel in. Easy walking area..restaurants etc..:)

so much choice but for 1 night and to stay in a pleasant residential area with good places to eat including the wonderful rue cler and its food market.

Hotel de Londres Eiffel this place is small but well run rates highly on tripadvisor. we have stayed there and enjoyed the area lots of places within walking distance. the simple breakfast had great bread and other items sourced locally. bakery nearby and great options for coffee and dinner.

we did not like the Avalon hotel at montparness too big crowded rushed at breakfast with all the tour groups etc. also we did not care for the area.

so much choice as said in paris but 1 night keep it simple. we took a taxi from there to the Avalon hotel but a bus is also easy if you have little luggage.

have a lovely cruise. we liked what we saw of Normandy and would return.

I really have no idea regarding your location, or if this hotel would work, etc. but we took our first trip to Europe in May. We had a cruise leaving out of Barcelona, flew into Paris and stayed a couple of days and then took the train from Paris to Barcelona which was wonderful, spent a couple of days in Barcelona before boarding the ship going to Italy, and again one last day in Barcelona before flying home to the US. It was a fabulous trip! But, I just wanted to recommend the Hotel Britannique in Paris. We booked quite a ways ahead, but it was very reasonable, clean, comfortable and within walking distance of a lot of things. It's close to Notre Dam and the Seine. Just a suggestion, but when I have a good experience at a hotel, I like to share it. Good Luck and have a wonderful time.

Thx for suggestions on Hotels. The last visit to Paris we stayed near Rue Cler.

Question .. Can you take a taxi to the Avalon's pre cruise Hotel and secure a ride to the ship.? Why wouldn't you go directly to ship?

We took a taxi to the hotel when we travelled on the Vista in December 2013. We had planned on going directly to the ship but it was raining. At the hotel we met the cruise director, our luggage was taken and got to chat to our fellow travellers, then boarded the buses that they had arranged to take us to the ship.

This year when we do our Grand France at the end of September, we may catch the RER train from where we are staying (St Michel) to either Javel or Pont du Garigliano RER. I have been monitoring the Tapestry II on marinetraffic and it has been docking between these 2 stops. If the weather is not too kind we will catch a taxi to the departure hotel.

We are only arriving in Paris the night before and have booked Hotel Albe which is near the Notre Dame. Going to do an Aperitif tour(Culinary tours)in Montemartre that night. Next morning we hope to wander around the streets - may visit Sainte Chapelle and visit Galeries Lafayette (have been told a visit to their rest rooms is a must) maybe a coffee on their terrace. On our return the following Friday we are going to do the Latin quarter tour again with culinary tours for lunch.

After reading your post I booked the last room at Hotel Albe.. I wanted to stay in the Notre Dame area and I have been on my computer everyday checking Hotels and reviews. It gets tedious. I can cancel up to two days of arrival without penalty. We stayed in the 7th arrondissement area two years ago and this time wanted to stay somewhere different. We are staying only one night. We would like to see Notre Dame and do you have any must sees in this area? Also should we take taxi to Avalon's precruise Hotel or go directly to the pier. Any problem with Avalon letting us use their transfer to the pier? I assume we should notify Avalon.. Thx for info. Enjoy your culinary tour sounds great..

everyone who checks in at the meeting hotel gets transported to the ship or can do an optional tour. it is not always certain where the ship is docked in Paris.

in other ports like Amsterdam we have gone directly to the ship.

We are staying at Hotel Muguet for three nights when we do our Viking cruise to Normandy in October. We had stayed there in 2004 for one week and loved it and can't wait to return. Such a fabulous location.

Edited by Canadian Sunset

amd1234,

If you are tired and don't want to travel/walk alot, a visit to Shakespeare and Company bookstore is fun and it is very close to Notre Dame.

We had dinner at Le Petit Châtelet right next door or only a few doors away from the bookstore, and it is very good.

Can I recommend the Hotel Astrid? Just off the Arc de Triumph. It is friendly, Parisian chic and you will not see lots of groups of tourists.

In the morning you can wonder through the local streets and just soak in the atmosphere or jump on a metro to anywhere! The airport bus stops really near too which can save a taxi fare.

Several posters have mentioned a current amazing offer with Avalon. I checked Avalon for this amazing deal that is going on now. 2 for 1? Or something like this, if I am reading the posts here correctly. I can not find it. We are booked at a very expensive rate from Paris to Normandy, and Paris to Cote d Zur. I would like to find what this offer is and see if we may be eligible! Thank you.

Pullman Montparnasse it a large hotel but it's a good hotel with a pretty good location for exploring the city by metro. Also there is a direct bus from CDG airport called Les Cars Air France that will drop you off directly across from the Concorde Montparnasse hotel. Staying there also means you are right there when Avalon Transfers you to the ship and they will store your luggage during the day We stayed at the Concorde Mercure Montparnasse just up the street and it was pleasant.

Edited by gentlemancruiser

Also should we take taxi to Avalon's precruise Hotel or go directly to the pier. Any problem with Avalon letting us use their transfer to the pier? I assume we should notify Avalon.. Thx for info. Enjoy your culinary tour sounds great..

The river boats in Paris dock in different locations frequently, so you wouldn't know where your ship is going to be unless you spoke with Avalon or your cruise director that day. Some of the cruise docks are not really central and a taxi may become expensive.

In Paris you really need to go directly to the Concorde Montparnasse hotel and be transferred by Avalon.

Thx for all the information on Hotels. Avalon will not release name of Pais pre cruise Hotel until 30 days before departure. We have a Hotel booked probably take a cab to their hotel for departure to ship. We are taking advantage of the two for one with Avalon. The deal is certain dates..we received info on an email from my travel agent. I was so skeptical but the deal is unbelievable we booked last week for Sept 8 departure we have a French balcony an upgrade on our part including airfare for two $6,394.00 amazing ..Last year we cruised with Uniworld absolutely fabulous and paid $4100.00 each without airfare. Just google Avalon deals I am sure you will find it. I am sure if you have already booked they probably won't give you the discount. You never know ! Good luck..

yes for some reason there seems to be a lot of capacity on some of the Paris/Paris cruises, so that is probably why they are offering good deals. the new ships sell 1st of course but the older ones are still in good condition.

autumn should be pleasant in Paris have a good cruise.