Should dress codes disappear?

This is always a debated topic.

What with shifting age demographics, multi-cultural cruisers (with different types of wardrobes) and other considerations, do you think that dress codes should be done away with?

Let's take a poll!

To make it easy, please start your response with "Yes" or "No" and your demographic (20s, 30s, 40s, etc.). I'll start for us.

"Yes." 40s/50s

Start phasing them out. I'm thinking that the current dress codes won't be able to last much longer anyway. Most of the younger demographics tend to dress casually.

Also, other cultures do not necessarily subscribe to "suit" as either casual or formal wear for men. It could be caftans, kilts, Bermuda shorts, etc.

There are also economic realities; more and more airlines charging for baggage means that extra suitcase/weight will cost you. Many travelers want to travel light, become more minimalist in packing and only bring a carry-on. During port-intensive cruises many people don't have the energy to dress up for dinner after a long day of sightseeing.

While I am "old school" and think people should be dressed appropriately, the sad reality is that we live in a society where quite a few people think it's OK to go out in public in their pajamas and slippers, in a bathing suit or shirtless.

If the cruise lines went to more casual dining experiences, with simple restrictions like most businesses' "such as "must wear a minimum of a top, bottom and footwear" then it might simplify things. This is what's required by most restaurants nowadays. Ships could have one or two "nice" restaurants with a surcharge for those who want to pay the premium and dress up.

They'd also save a heck of a lot in service manpower, uniforms, linens, dish washing, etc. (Of course, it's doubtful the savings would be passed on to customers! :-))

That's my opinion. What's yours??

No 30's. It's fun to get dressed for dinner! When else can you have the chance to dress formally for a fancy dinner? Even our kids enjoy it. Besides as the person above me stated one goes casually all day and you only are dressed for dinner for a few hours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No - 60's. But should be changed to include shorts on non-formal nights.

Oh and in addition to allowing shorts on non-formal nights, I would cut back formal night to one dinner on a 7-night cruise.

This is always a debated topic.

What with shifting age demographics, multi-cultural cruisers (with different types of wardrobes) and other considerations, do you think that dress codes should be done away with?

Let's take a poll!

To make it easy, please start your response with "Yes" or "No" and your demographic (20s, 30s, 40s, etc.). I'll start for us.

"Yes." 40s/50s

Start phasing them out. I'm thinking that the current dress codes won't be able to last much longer anyway. Most of the younger demographics tend to dress casually.

Also, other cultures do not necessarily subscribe to "suit" as either casual or formal wear for men. It could be caftans, kilts, Bermuda shorts, etc.

There are also economic realities; more and more airlines charging for baggage means that extra suitcase/weight will cost you. Many travelers want to travel light, become more minimalist in packing and only bring a carry-on. During port-intensive cruises many people don't have the energy to dress up for dinner after a long day of sightseeing.

While I am "old school" and think people should be dressed appropriately, the sad reality is that we live in a society where quite a few people think it's OK to go out in public in their pajamas and slippers, in a bathing suit or shirtless.

If the cruise lines went to more casual dining experiences, with simple restrictions like most businesses' "such as "must wear a minimum of a top, bottom and footwear" then it might simplify things. This is what's required by most restaurants nowadays. Ships could have one or two "nice" restaurants with a surcharge for those who want to pay the premium and dress up.

They'd also save a heck of a lot in service manpower, uniforms, linens, dish washing, etc. (Of course, it's doubtful the savings would be passed on to customers! :-))

That's my opinion. What's yours??

Hope you are not suggesting paper plates and napkins.:) Might be heading that way though.

No, 40's. My DH and I don't bring formal dress on cruises anymore. We still dress decent (dockers/button up shirt, dress pants/nice top) that night and eat in the MDR. I see no reason why both camps can't co-exist. If you want to wear formal on formal night, do so. If you want to dress more casually on formal night, do so.

I will never understand why people are bothered by what someone else wears. None of us should be trying to dictate what anyone else wears. A cruise is such a beautiful, relaxing way to vacation...why get your panties in a wad about what someone else is wearing. Live and let live!

No 70's, I feel a dressy night should remain. It really makes for a lovely family photo. DH & I dress up however we go back to our room afterwards and change into something more comfortable. We aren't able to cruise often and are casual at home 24/7 so we look forward to the dressier evenings.

No. 30's.

While I do appreciate a more relaxed dress code that does not require suit & tie for men and cocktail dresses for women, I dread seeing what would happen if there was no minimum standard of required dress :eek:

Yes 50's ... this playing dress up is just silly. Why do I need to tie a $30 piece of fabric around my neck and let it dangle. Neckties, bow-ties, and cummerbunds should go the way of the powdered wigs that men use to wear.