Should dress codes disappear?

Slidergirl,

I used to have one of those Styrofoam Jack's on our car antenna! LOL! At first it was easy to find our car in the parking lot at Dodger Stadium. But then Jack car antenna balls got so popular...it didn't work anymore. LOL!

I am never disappointed in the food in the MDR because after so many cruises I know what to expect quality-wise. I'm a meat and potato kind of gal so as long as I can have a steak or chicken every night with a baked potato (which on most cruises you can)...I'm good. I just like basic food and am not a "foodie" so I don't have a problem at all. I always like to try new things but I always have a backup of steak or chicken in case I don't like whatever new food I'm trying. The DH will eat whatever I don't so food never gets wasted.

As far as dress code. I wouldn't not want to have one just because as it is...even with a suggested dress code...some people dress like slobs...can you imagine if there weren't any dress codes at all...:eek::eek::eek: LOL!

I like dressing up nice for formal night (my choice) (though we don't do the real "formal" thing of gowns and tux. anymore..which is what real formal dress is). I always love to see the people that do dress up in their gowns and tuxs...you can see how special they feel in their formal wear and they are usually celebrating some important event in their lives.

The people that can't be bothered to even put on a casual pair of pants and a decent shirt or in a woman's case, a nice pair of slacks and top or a nice casual dress...I could care less...it's says more about them and has no real negative affect on my good time. I just think it's extremely rude and arrogant to not follow the dress code of the establishment you're frequenting be it on land or sea. JMHO.

I must admit I was shocked a few cruises ago when the DH and I were having a late dinner in the buffet one night and a woman came in wearing a white bathrobe, with wet hair wrapped up turban-style in a white towel, and white fluffy/scruffy slippers. I just can't understand how anyone could go out in public dressed like that. The DH and I just had a great laugh because we just thought it was so absurd and so ridiculous! She wasn't coming from the pool either...which is what I thought at first...no, she had just taken a shower so she told her friend that met up with her. Her friend was like..."Wow...are you nuts or what?" Which is exactly what I was thinking...LOL! But again, it's her choice. But wow...really?! :rolleyes:

I hear you about cruising/traveling for the destination. That's what I enjoy also. But every few years I can enjoy a "relaxing" Caribbean cruise too. :D

Sorry to hear the food was not good on Celebrity. We were on Silhouette for a New Years cruise a couple of years ago and we thought the food was still good -- not as good as it once was, but better than some lines. We ate at Murano once, and it was great. But we decided the MDR was good enough that we didn't eat in any other specialty restaurants.

Yes Murano has good food. the Tsucan Grille was pretty much the quality of Olive Garden, they just gave you more courses.

momofmeg: Jack is a west-coast (or even just California??) chain. I remember the good old days of the 60s and 70s rolling up to a Jack-in-the-Box late at night when some post-fun greasy food was needed ;) We all had a styrofoam "Jack" head on our car antennae :p

My take on food in the MDR: it is trying to put lipstick on a pig. Take mediocre mass-produced banquet food, put it in a venue with white tablecloths and waitstaff all done up, people think it's "fine dining". It's still a pig ;) Your talk of people equating quantity and quality just brought to my mind seeing people all done up in tuxes and gowns, chowing down on multiple plates of "quality" food - brought back images of those wedding reception scenes in movies...

I have an aunt and cousins in Oklahoma. I seem to remember seeing them there but never ate there.

No! 40s

I'm not really disagreeing with Slidergirl, but really, for most people, aren't most formal dinner occasions mass-produced banquet food? Weddings. The occasional awards banquet. Prom. Maybe a fund raiser.

Honestly, who cares about the food as long as I get to be a pretty pretty princess? That's pretty much how I see it. An excuse to play dress up is one of the reasons I love cruising.

No! 40s

I'm not really disagreeing with Slidergirl, but really, for most people, aren't most formal dinner occasions mass-produced banquet food? Weddings. The occasional awards banquet. Prom. Maybe a fund raiser.

Honestly, who cares about the food as long as I get to be a pretty pretty princess? That's pretty much how I see it. An excuse to play dress up is one of the reasons I love cruising.

Depends on where the formal dinner is at and who is catering. Not to toot my hotel's horn, but - a plated dinner for a wedding reception of 250 cooked under the watchful eye of our Executive Chef and the staff of our Forbes 4-Star restaurant is far better than the best dinner you'd find on any mainline cruise ship. And, I've been to a few fundraisers where I live and also in Los Angeles where the food rivaled many a fine dining restaurant (one brought in one of the Keller brothers to oversee the menu - first time I had bone marrow…).

If you use the cruise as an excuse to play dress up, by all means go ahead. I won't be offended. Some here on the board will be offended by the term "play dress up." But, unless it is a requirement and not a suggestion, do not "tsk tsk" at those who don't join in the dress up game. That's all I ask.

The Keller brothers are incredible, but I prefer Hubert's take on new French. ;)

I have been to a number of banquets and dinners which were formal and far from mass produced. And definitely better than anything I have had at sea... Except are my on DCL. But that is an entirely different conversation.

The Keller brothers are incredible, but I prefer Hubert's take on new French. ;)

I have been to a number of banquets and dinners which were formal and far from mass produced. And definitely better than anything I have had at sea... Except are my on DCL. But that is an entirely different conversation.

Have only eaten at Hubert's Burger Bar in Las Vegas. A decent salmon burger, but a great selection of beers… (I don't do red meat, so I didn't try the Rossini burger - Wagyu beef, sautéed foie gras, shaved truffles - $60 :eek: ). Never tried Fleur de Lys there yet.

Depends on where the formal dinner is at and who is catering. Not to toot my hotel's horn, but - a plated dinner for a wedding reception of 250 cooked under the watchful eye of our Executive Chef and the staff of our Forbes 4-Star restaurant is far better than the best dinner you'd find on any mainline cruise ship. And, I've been to a few fundraisers where I live and also in Los Angeles where the food rivaled many a fine dining restaurant (one brought in one of the Keller brothers to oversee the menu - first time I had bone marrow…).

If you use the cruise as an excuse to play dress up, by all means go ahead. I won't be offended. Some here on the board will be offended by the term "play dress up." But, unless it is a requirement and not a suggestion, do not "tsk tsk" at those who don't join in the dress up game. That's all I ask.

I think that is the issue slidergril. Now that ships hold 3000 and even 6000 PAX, (probably more on the latest RCI monster ships) the food has to be mass produced. It can't be good as it used to be when most ships held 1200 or less PAX 20 years ago. I imagine it would be a waste to use top quality ingredients when the food is mass produced to sit (I am sure ) and be put under warming lights.

That is why I do not mind eating in the buffet area for dinner. It is very quiet and peaceful in the evening, unlike lunchtime! On sea days I do prefer eating in the dining room for lunch but because it is more peaceful than the buffet, certainly not food quality.