Should dress codes disappear?

Nothing else will fit in my carry on. I'm already pushing the limit for allowable carry on size, and I'm prepared to ditch stuff at the airport if needed to avoid having to check my bag. I'm not carrying or checking anything else, or hauling add'l bags/weight around Europe just so I can meet suggested dress guidelines.

After our world cruise last year, we went on a 21 days road trip with our Australian friends. We took only bags that fit in the rental car for four people. Those same bags went with us to a Alaska cruise, there were no formal clothing in them. We ate at the Lido.

M

Edited by Porthopper101

Nothing else will fit in my carry on. I'm already pushing the limit for allowable carry on size, and I'm prepared to ditch stuff at the airport if needed to avoid having to check my bag. I'm not carrying or checking anything else, or hauling add'l bags/weight around Europe just so I can meet suggested dress guidelines.

My guess is that you can ditch out several items and you'll never miss them.

I was talking to my husband about it yesterday, the next time we go to Europe my packing list will be even lighter!

After our world cruise last year, we went on a 21 days road trip with our Australian friends. We took only bags that fit in the rental car for four people. Those same bags went with us to a Alaska cruise, there were no formal clothing in them. We ate at the Lido.

M

Sounds like an awesome trip! But you still could have dined @ the MDR, as the "dress code" is merely a suggestion. ;)

My guess is that you can ditch out several items and you'll never miss them.

Probably, although those items are much higher on the needs/wants list than a sports coat, slacks, dress shirt, wing tips etc.

Sounds like an awesome trip! But you still could have dined @ the MDR, as the "dress code" is merely a suggestion. ;)

Probably, although those items are much higher on the needs/wants list than a sports coat, slacks, dress shirt, wing tips etc.

Wing tips? Um, no. He is bringing a pair of SHOES to wear, correct? Build up from there. My husband typically takes a pair of loafers. Add chinos, an Oxford, a sports jacket, and a tie and he can pass for pretty much anything that doesn't require black tie. If formal was so formal that black tie was needed, he'd just rent a tux.

He wears the Oxford and slacks on other nights as well, the tie takes no room, and he's needed the jacket on cooler evenings on the deck.

"No" - 64

Europeans and mostly an older generation of Americans understand it's not a "dress-code" it's about good manners and respect for others.

++++++++++++1!!!!!!

THIS is what people don't understand. How you choose to present yourself to other people is indicative of the respect you have for them.

++++++++++++1!!!!!!

THIS is what people don't understand. How you choose to present yourself to other people is indicative of the respect you have for them.

AND for yourself........

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

No, 40's. My DH and I don't bring formal dress on cruises anymore. We still dress decent (dockers/button up shirt, dress pants/nice top) that night and eat in the MDR. I see no reason why both camps can't co-exist. If you want to wear formal on formal night, do so. If you want to dress more casually on formal night, do so.

I will never understand why people are bothered by what someone else wears. None of us should be trying to dictate what anyone else wears. A cruise is such a beautiful, relaxing way to vacation...why get your panties in a wad about what someone else is wearing. Live and let live!

Ah - then you would be ok if someone came to your wedding wearing cut off jeans and a muscle shirt with their armpit hair hanging out. After all... live and let live!

Look, if a woman hasn't figure out how to stuff 14 dresses or 5 pairs of capris / slacks / dress pants with 8 blouses along with 2-3 pairs of shoes in a large packing cube or in a wheeled duffel bag by now -No offense, there's no hope for them.....I've seen men come in with just a suit bag & a small gym bag / backpack and still dress up for the evening. All it takes is bit of packing method (folding/ rolling/ stuffed) and the size of your bag (carry-on or check-in, duffel, spinner, expandable, etc) to dress up decently.

You don't know some of my friends....if they packed 14 dresses or 5 pairs of capris/slacks/dress pants with 8 blouses (by the way, for some of my friends this would never be enough) there would have to be 14 different pair of shoes. LOL.

++++++++++++1!!!!!!

How I choose to dress is NOT indicative of the respect I have for OTHERS -- it is indicative of the respect I have for MYSELF.

I respect others by how I treat them and speak to them -- I can do that regardless of what I am wearing.

You don't know some of my friends....if they packed 14 dresses or 5 pairs of capris/slacks/dress pants with 8 blouses (by the way, for some of my friends this would never be enough) there would have to be 14 different pair of shoes. LOL.

Just need 2-4 pairs with some doing double duty, doesn't really matter if 7 days or 21 days....

How I choose to dress is NOT indicative of the respect I have for OTHERS -- it is indicative of the respect I have for MYSELF.

I respect others by how I treat them and speak to them -- I can do that regardless of what I am wearing.

In retrospect /hindsight, that was not a good comeback especially if you said no to the dress code or dress slovenly / unkempt regarding respecting oneself....Just saying....

It absolutely is indicative of respect you have for other people... along with how you treat them and speak to them. It's all part of the package.

Indicative <> the only thing. Indicative = one among many.

Edited by TriTexan

In retrospect /hindsight, that was not a good comeback especially if you said no to the dress code or dress slovenly / unkempt regarding respecting oneself....Just saying....

I would like the dress code relaxed a bit, not go away....but what I really want is 'whatever dress code there is, that it be enforced'. I don't believe anyone should dress slovenly/unkempt (your words, not mine -- ever) -- if they do, they disrespect themselves, not anyone else.

I would not go to a Polo Match in clothes I would wear to the gym for a workout....but if you don't wear a hat to the event, it doesn't mean you are inappropriately dressed -- it means that if it is a sunny day, your head will be unnecessarily warm/hot.

Just need 2-4 pairs with some doing double duty, doesn't really matter if 7 days or 21 days....

I could pack 2 skirts and 2 pair of slacks along with 4-6 blouses and be good for 7-21 days along with 3 pairs of shoes for them all -- NOT some of my friends. Some of my friends have a small suitcase for their makeup. (Just my personal LOL).

++++++++++++1!!!!!!

It's not black and white. I wouldn't show up at a wedding or event to which I am invited and/or where I will know people dressed in anything less than what would be considered appropriate.

There was a time when people wore suits to the movies or a baseball game. There's a reason why, today, no one would consider it disrespectful to show up at these places in jeans or shorts. Times have changed.

Like it or not, some cruises have gone in the same direction. People want to be comfortable, don't want to pack dress clothes, whatever, and some cruise lines have become less concerned with what some would consider an antiquated custom.

I respect family, friends, co-workers, etc. and do care how they think of me, and my attire in their presence on certain occasions or events would reflect that. Some dude or lady I don't know in the MDR on a cruise ship that I've paid my hard-earned money to be on and enjoy? I respect them too unless given a reason not to, but I couldn't care less what they think of how I'm dressed.

Edited by pseudoware

It's not black and white. I wouldn't show up at a wedding or event to which I am invited and/or where I will know people dressed in anything less than what would be considered appropriate.

I respect family, friends, co-workers, etc. and do care how they think of me, and my attire in their presence on certain occasions or events would reflect that. Some dude or lady I don't know in the MDR on a cruise ship that I've paid my hard-earned money to be on and enjoy? I respect them too unless given a reason not to, but I couldn't care less what they think of how I'm dressed.

Great post !

There was a time when people wore suits to the movies or a baseball game. There's a reason why, today, no one would consider it disrespectful to show up at these places in jeans or shorts. Times have changed.

Like it or not, some cruises have gone in the same direction. People want to be comfortable, don't want to pack dress clothes, whatever, and some cruise lines have become less concerned with what some would consider an antiquated custom.

Great post !

I agree.

I'll admit I'm fairly new to cruising, but I'm surprised by the anger and general condescending tone I read from the "you MUST dress up" people. I do understand that they feel people should follow the rules, but I still don't understand why the way other people are dressed is that big a deal generally to their own dining experience.

I think about going out to eat here in Houston where I live. People dress all kinds of ways, but generally, even in the casual restaurants you won't see people in the slovenly dress described here. Some people are dressed to the nines (around prom season you'll see formally attired couples) and others are casually dressed...everyone seems to be able to co-exist and enjoy the company of their friends without being bent out of shape about how others are dressed.

To be honest, I'm usually more "offended" or put-off by the cleavage bearing, too-short, too-skimpy outfits (formal or not) than I would be by a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. I would not want to share a table with a lady in formal dress who was letting the girls hang out or having trouble keeping her wahoo covered. I'd be wishing I could hand her a XL t-shirt all evening. LOL

We are taking our first Princess cruise this summer, and we don't plan to dress formally (although we'll dress nicely every evening regardless), so on formal nights we plan to go to the buffet (or whatever else is available for no extra charge). I would never want to "offend" anyone by being dressed in a maxi with my dh in khakis and a ss shirt, so we'll just find another spot to dine. Like my husband says, "it's just food."

Then again, we didn't choose a cruise because we wanted the whole cruise experience. We chose it because it was going to places we want to see (Ancient Rome, Ancient Athens, etc), so our desires are probably not like most cruise experienced folks.

Edited by Cruisinwithagoodbook

And people not researching the cruise line they are looking at enough. There is a line for everyone's view of how they wish their vacation to be. Just spend some time and find one that gives you the most of what you want. We travel a lot, sometimes we go all out on the formal for cruise, tux & gown, the whole deal. Other times, not so much. But we make the effort to match the line with what "vibe" we wish for that particular trip. Sometimes, if I get out of a bathing suit and into a pair of shorts and tee I'm "dressed." LOL.

And people not researching the cruise line they are looking at enough. There is a line for everyone's view of how they wish their vacation to be. Just spend some time and find one that gives you the most of what you want. We travel a lot, sometimes we go all out on the formal for cruise, tux & gown, the whole deal. Other times, not so much. But we make the effort to match the line with what "vibe" we wish for that particular trip. Sometimes, if I get out of a bathing suit and into a pair of shorts and tee I'm "dressed." LOL.

This is a good post. Everyone has a choice in the cruise line they sail on, and when making that choice, dress code enforcement--or lack thereof--should be a consideration. People shouldn't book a cruise on a ship where it is well known that dress codes are merely suggestions and complain when people don't follow them. Instead they should book cruises with lines where there are stated dress codes that are enforced if this is important to them.

Soon money Mass Market lines will have formal nights. Thankfully most of the up- market lines have gone to Country Club Casual and even Crystal now has formal optional...this is 2015 and in our lives formal is so last century!

As I read this, and I assume auto correct is responsible for many rather than money, it seems you're saying that mass market lines have not had formal nights and soon they will. Is that correct? Seems like you only cruise on the up market lines so, 1. mass market lines have always had formal nights and 2. if you don't sail them, why do you care what they do?:confused:

As I read this, and I assume auto correct is responsible for many rather than money, it seems you're saying that mass market lines have not had formal nights and soon they will. Is that correct? Seems like you only cruise on the up market lines so, 1. mass market lines have always had formal nights and 2. if you don't sail them, why do you care what they do?:confused:

I actually think the poster meant "only", not "many". It would make more sense - only mass market cruises will have formal nights as the better, upscale cruises have gone to country club casual...

Yes / 60's

I think dinner should be "business" casual, but including nice shorts. Shoes are a must, obviously.

I hate formal nights, but adhere to it slightly. I wear black pants and a sparkly (not really very dressy) top and some nice jewelry.

I had to get dressed up my whole life for work. It's the last thing I want to do now. My husband doesn't even own a suit any longer. The day he retired, his 10 suits went to goodwill. On the formal nights he wears a dress shirt, no tie, and a sport coat into the restaurant, then removes it and puts it over the back of his chair. He still looks very nice (with his white hair and pony tail hanging down his back - he let his hair grow after he retired, too).

You can look nice and not be dressed formally. They just have to keep some rules so it doesn't turn into frayed shorts/pants and sandals.

No/40s.

I'm guessing that as it's the cruise fashion and beauty section of the forum, anyone frequenting here would be more or less of the same opinion when it came to dressing up?

Now not going to get into it too much with anyone but when you start dropping dress codes some people can just take it to the extreme.

The shorts on DCL was a bit of a disappointment, I certainly didn't appreciate a larger lady with very short shorts showing me her breakfast when I was eating my dinner in the MDR. Not sure why they let her in with such revealing shorts! She was directly opposite us as we were in one of the "carriages" so I could help but see it!

Same cruise, whilst enjoying a drink in Meridian whilst waiting for our Remy brunch I watched some guy, probably mid 30s come in wearing shorts and a polo and flip fops and then throw a tantrum thinking that was going to enable him to dine in Palo when the hostess told him he needed long pants and shoes.

The hostess just smiled at him and went to fetch the MD, who politely explained the dress code again, and still the guy was ranting until he eventually realised it was going to do no good, he went away with his tail between his legs and came back with a pair of ugly ass creased pants, and a pair of shoes but he was then able to dine in Palo. At that stage I was glad we were eating in Remy and wouldn't have to see his whiny face!!

I though he was terribly rude or behaving stupidly about it all as you get a phone call and/or voice mail message and an invite to your cabin confirming your reservation which also tells you about the dress code.

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

I actually think the poster meant "only", not "many". It would make more sense - only mass market cruises will have formal nights as the better, upscale cruises have gone to country club casual...

OK, gotcha, that does make more sense but I still don't understand why that person should be concerned. ;) Also, with the mass market lines generally relaxing their dress codes they, too, may eliminate formal nights, or at least do what NCL does, Dress Up or Not Night.

You can look nice and not be dressed formally. They just have to keep some rules so it doesn't turn into frayed shorts/pants and sandals.

The only problem with that is, some people are still going to push it as far as they can and cause a stink if the cruise lines try to enforce any rules.

I agree one can look nice without being dressed formally. If they would go to country club casual, some will not know what that means. To help, the lines may publish what are suggestions for country club casual, as they do now for formal. Then people are going to say, "well, it's just a suggestion".

Any of the lines I've been on, it says tonight is formal night, it does not say, tonight is a suggested formal night. What is suggested is what is accepted as formal wear as some people just don't know. There have been many posts on this board asking if what they plan to wear is formal enough. People only see the word suggestion and use it how they want.