Should dress codes disappear?

I bought a suit just for cruising. We cruise several tines a year and spend thousands of dollars so a couple of hundred dollars for a suit is nothing.

I doubt it's a cost issue. Some people, especially people who have had to dress up for work for, are done with it and don't desire to do it anymore, especially on vacation.

For us, our life-style is casual, always has been, and dressing up is not fun for us but rather a chore. We do it because we are expected to, but it's actually a low point of a cruise, not a high point. I don't find it fun to shop for dressy clothes and I don't find high heels and tight dresses comfortable....we usually go to dinner and return to our cabin ASAP and change clothes for the rest of the evening.

I find it interesting that when I look at the people who answered YES, most are in their 60's (as we are), so it would appear that it isn't the older folks clamoring for the "old cruising days".

To all of the people who are saying no because they want/like to dress up, would you not still want to dress up if there was nothing requiring you to?

Or is it more that you would rather not be dressed up if others aren't? I can understand feeling a bit uncomfortable if you were dressed different than the norm or the rest of the ship, but there would be nothing stopping you from doing that if you wanted to without an official dress code.

My cruise outfits consists of dresses and all I have to do to look elegant is put some earrings / necklace / bracelet and lip gloss on. So basically I do so anyway but I expect others to not look like something that cat cough up in the MDR- clothes that have gaping holes in them, wifebeaters, pants so pulled down to point of why wear them, etc...Because to some people, when they thinking dress down; that exactly how they dress up and dress code is probably the only thing that's keeps them from looking foolish along with all different levels of 'Oh, Heck NO!!'.[emoji33]

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

I don't understand everyone saying that without a dress code, everyone around them would be bare chested, in wife beaters, low hanging pants etc. When you go to restaurants at home do you only go to ones with dress codes? When you go to restaurants on land that do not have a dress code are you surrounded by extremely underdressed individuals? I doubt it so why, without a dress code do you assume that the majority of people in the dining rooms with you would not be dressed in an acceptable manner. Sure there is always "that" person but dress code or not they will always be "that" person.

My cruise outfits consists of dresses and all I have to do to look elegant is put some earrings / necklace / bracelet and lip gloss on. So basically I do so anyway but I expect others to not look like something that cat cough up in the MDR- clothes that have gaping holes in them, wifebeaters, pants so pulled down to point of why wear them, etc...Because to some people, when they thinking dress down; that exactly how they dress up and dress code is probably the only thing that's keeps them from looking foolish along with all different levels of 'Oh, Heck NO!!'.[emoji33]

I don't own any wifebeaters (and that's kind of an offensive term...), nor would I eat in an undershirt. None of my clothes have holes in them; small or gaping. And I wear shorts at the same level I wear pants. Your statement is a bit over-dramatic and not rational. The only difference in my outfits between pants and shorts is the length of the cloth covering my legs. Same shirts. Still a belt. Boat shoes with both. Mind blowing, huh?

I don't own any wifebeaters (and that's kind of an offensive term...), nor would I eat in an undershirt. None of my clothes have holes in them; small or gaping. And I wear shorts at the same level I wear pants. Your statement is a bit over-dramatic and not rational. The only difference in my outfits between pants and shorts is the length of the cloth covering my legs. Same shirts. Still a belt. Boat shoes with both. Mind blowing, huh?

If it doesn't describe you at all, my dear, then it shouldn't offend you. But that's my observation at dinner buffets on cruise ships on 2 separate occasions, now picture it if the cruise lines didn't enforce dress rules at the MDR - no offense, there's dressing down due to hot weather and then there not using common sense in dressing for hot weather.....

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

I don't understand everyone saying that without a dress code, everyone around them would be bare chested, in wife beaters, low hanging pants etc. When you go to restaurants at home do you only go to ones with dress codes? When you go to restaurants on land that do not have a dress code are you surrounded by extremely underdressed individuals? I doubt it so why, without a dress code do you assume that the majority of people in the dining rooms with you would not be dressed in an acceptable manner. Sure there is always "that" person but dress code or not they will always be "that" person.

I've seen some horribly underdressed slobs in the restaurants in the tourist areas near my home, so yes, some people are disgusting and unless they are forced to, won't put on a pair of slacks and a collared shirt to go to dinner.

We've gotten to the point where we pretty much either stay away from the tourist corridor restaurants, or eat at the ones that enforce their dress code. We also don't tell the tourists about the best local restaurants. ;)

I can't really vote a simple yes or no on this one - 50

I don't mind wearing a skirt or slacks for dinner and DH is good in slacks and a polo shirt however, we don't care for formal night at all. DH doesn't own a suit and buying one for a cruise is silly. However, we enjoy eating in the MDR and hate missing out by going to the buffet for 2 nights out of the week.

Just a suggestion, but if your DH bought a suit, it wouldn't be for just the one cruise, it would be for many cruises, as he now has a suit to wear.:D

I can't really vote a simple yes or no on this one - 50

I don't mind wearing a skirt or slacks for dinner and DH is good in slacks and a polo shirt however, we don't care for formal night at all. DH doesn't own a suit and buying one for a cruise is silly. However, we enjoy eating in the MDR and hate missing out by going to the buffet for 2 nights out of the week.

I bought a suit just for cruising. We cruise several tines a year and spend thousands of dollars so a couple of hundred dollars for a suit is nothing.

Grandgeezer, it is good for you that you feel spending money for a suit is well worth it to use on a cruise.....and many people don't see it that way, nor should someone have to buy something they won't use, just for a cruise. My DH has them and has to wear them to work, and prefers not to wear them on his vacation FROM work. Work has its dress code and they pay him to do his job, wearing the clothing type that they specify.

No one should feel they can't go to the MDR, because they don't wear a suit or tuxedo, simply because it is formal night.

Women get away so much easier.....a simple skirt and bright/dressy blouse gets dressed up with a necklace and makeup and viola -- she is in her formal wear. Now you can even have sequined flip-flops to match every outfit -- and many a Floridian (not me) would consider those shoes 'formal enough'.

I can attest to that, since I have not brought anything that would qualify as 'formal wear' on a ship in years......the fashion police would never consider what I wear formal enough even for semi formal (if we were actually paying attention to what it should be). Long gone are the days of silk dyed shoes for a cocktail dress......and thank heavens they are 'long gone' in my world.

I've seen some horribly underdressed slobs in the restaurants in the tourist areas near my home, so yes, some people are disgusting and unless they are forced to, won't put on a pair of slacks and a collared shirt to go to dinner.

We've gotten to the point where we pretty much either stay away from the tourist corridor restaurants, or eat at the ones that enforce their dress code. We also don't tell the tourists about the best local restaurants. ;)

Agreed, if people want cruise ships MDRs to look like a Fast food eatery or a food hall in the local mall, then that is what would happen with no dress rules. Yes some will be still dressed well but others will not be.

Unfortunately, we live in a world that has most of the rules and laws to govern us, that are based on the actions of the minority and not the majority of people.

May I add another part to this question: If you were required to change into your formal costume at 5pm and stay in the formalwear until you retire to your cabin for the night, would you change your answer? I believe that is how it used to be back in the "golden" age of cruising?

Just wondering because I usually don't see too many folks wandering around the ship before dinner or after dinner. And, I don't do the Caribbean cruises where the main activity is to sit by the pool and drink or get off the ship at port and find the nearest Señor Frogs and drink…

I do find it amusing that so many here conjure up visions of unshaven, unkempt men in white tank tops with holes in them, women in Daisy Dukes and boobs shielded by only a skimpy camisole top, or both in PJs if dress suggestions were relaxed…. Just where have you been dining before?????

Edited by slidergirl

May I add another part to this question: If you were required to change into your formal costume at 5pm and stay in the formalwear until you retire to your cabin for the night, would you change your answer? I believe that is how it used to be back in the "golden" age of cruising?

Just wondering because I usually don't see too many folks wandering around the ship before dinner or after dinner. And, I don't do the Caribbean cruises where the main activity is to sit by the pool and drink or get off the ship at port and find the nearest Señor Frogs and drink…

I do find it amusing that so many here conjure up visions of unshaven, unkempt men in white tank tops with holes in them, women in Daisy Dukes and boobs shielded by only a skimpy camisole top, or both in PJs if dress suggestions were relaxed…. Just where have you been dining before?????

I find it funny that you refer to the evening wear as 'formal costume' -- because I never signed up for a 'costume party' -- but if I did, I would bring the 'witch costume' that I wore to a high end fundraiser some years ago....it was a big hit. As to whether I would have any problem staying in my evening clothes from dinner time to bed time.....I do that now, so don't see an issue....what I wonder is: Where exactly do you think people go after dinner -- showtime, other on board activities, lounge with drinking going on -- it surely isn't off to bed 20 minutes after dinner.

Or maybe I have missed the point you are trying to make....and probably others are as well.

I find it funny that you refer to the evening wear as 'formal costume' -- because I never signed up for a 'costume party' -- but if I did, I would bring the 'witch costume' that I wore to a high end fundraiser some years ago....it was a big hit. As to whether I would have any problem staying in my evening clothes from dinner time to bed time.....I do that now, so don't see an issue....what I wonder is: Where exactly do you think people go after dinner -- showtime, other on board activities, lounge with drinking going on -- it surely isn't off to bed 20 minutes after dinner.

Or maybe I have missed the point you are trying to make....and probably others are as well.

"costume" refers to the entire deal - the dress/tux, jewelry, shoes - I have also heard of a bathing costume - no big thing. It is just a term.

Yes, you totally missed my point.

I have seen and have heard it here on CC that people stay in "normal" clothes until they are getting ready for the formal dinner, then put on the entire ensemble, go to dinner, then go back to the cabin and change into their "normal" clothes for doing whatever else they will be doing in the public areas for the rest of the night. That is what I meant… I wanted to know if people would change their vote if they were required to stay in that night's dress requirement from 5pm until they retired for the night. It was when the code was a requirement for the entire evening, not just for the MDR… I stayed at the Ritz Carlton on Maui and Manele Bay on Lanai a while back - they had a public area dress code for after 5pm: men had to wear long pants and closed-toe shoes (no sandals) and buttoned shirts, women had to wear pants non-casual tops or dresses and no sandals allowed.

"costume" refers to the entire deal - the dress/tux, jewelry, shoes - I have also heard of a bathing costume - no big thing. It is just a term.

I have seen and have heard it here on CC that people stay in "normal" clothes until they are getting ready for the formal dinner, then put on the entire ensemble, go to dinner, then go back to the cabin and change into their "normal" clothes for doing whatever else they will be doing in the public areas for the rest of the night. That is what I meant… I wanted to know if people would change their vote if they were required to stay in that night's dress requirement from 5pm until they retired for the night. It was when the code was a requirement for the entire evening, not just for the MDR… I stayed at the Ritz Carlton on Maui and Manele Bay on Lanai a while back - they had a public area dress code for after 5pm: men had to wear long pants and closed-toe shoes (no sandals) and buttoned shirts, women had to wear pants non-casual tops or dresses and no sandals allowed.

I get your point better now -- BTW, I will keep these two places off my list of hotels to spend my money at.....I live in S. Florida, and don't own a pair of shoes that are not sandals of some type....not referring to flip flops....but open toed sandals with 1 - 2 inch heels and some are flats that are not beach wear....leather shoes that just happen to be sandals.

Edited by Paulette3028

See when you say "formal costume" - I'm thinking a ballroom gown / cocktail dress for women and tuxedos for men; because jewelry and accessories are just to dress up any outfit like this one:

kOGYBTNk86janFx5qQDuYFUex6MDaMNjuoqEBjHm8nQ=w288-h162-p-no

Because you can get way with dressing like that for formal night on some cruise lines and it also can be use casually during the day time as well. And totally don't need to change outfits to be move about unless one wants to. And regarding the hotels you went to - I have crocs that can be mistaken for ballet shoes but I still won't go to those places because that's bit overkill not being able to wear my dress sandals....

Edited by maywell

The Ritz Carlton was the price I had to pay to have my hubby get his Christmas present from me - Nike Golf School at Kapalua. We had 5 days there and then just wanted to try something different in Hawaii. Manele Bay was pretty new and had an amazing golf course (notice the golf tie-in), so we went there. Hope no one noticed I wore the same pair of pants every evening - Manele Bay was pretty captive - no where else to go for meals but it's sister hotel Lodge at Koele (had the same dress code). At the Ritz, we'd put on our shorts and go down the fire stairs to the parking lot and go into town :p

No. 50s.

Dress codes have already relaxed quite a bit in recent years to allow enough leeway for personal preferences. "Dressing nice" on at least one night of the cruise adds to the enjoyment. This does not necessarily mean tuxes and gowns, but something a bit nicer than everyday wear. I dress "Professional" for work each day and enjoy the opportunity to wear something a bit more festive.

Edited by simplelife

No. 50s.

Dress codes have already relaxed quite a bit in recent years to allow enough leeway for personal preferences. "Dressing nice" on at least one night of the cruise adds to the enjoyment. This does not necessarily mean tuxes and gowns, but something a bit nicer than everyday wear. I dress "Professional" for work each day and enjoy the opportunity to wear something a bit more festive.

Likewise, I really appreciate the effort that some people go to as well, it makes for a nice atmosphere.:D

The Ritz Carlton was the price I had to pay to have my hubby get his Christmas present from me - Nike Golf School at Kapalua. We had 5 days there and then just wanted to try something different in Hawaii. Manele Bay was pretty new and had an amazing golf course (notice the golf tie-in), so we went there. Hope no one noticed I wore the same pair of pants every evening - Manele Bay was pretty captive - no where else to go for meals but it's sister hotel Lodge at Koele (had the same dress code). At the Ritz, we'd put on our shorts and go down the fire stairs to the parking lot and go into town :p

I would have found another present for him.....I would not want to go town the 'fire stairs' to leave the building for ANY reason than a fire.

No. 50s.

Dressing up for evenings and being more festive (as you put it ) totally works for me.....and yet it doesn't have to be formal attire.

• 2 weeks later...

No 60s.

I've been cruising since I was 19 and I'm now 68. I've seen it all. And, I can truthfully say that over the years how people dress on cruises has gone as far downhill as possible. I don't really care what others wear but if there were no dress code...you can bet that there would be some real slobs and scantly clad people in the MDR. And I'm not referring to just young people, I've seen adult women with barely any clothes on walking around the ship. I've also seen people in their bathrobes and slippers at the buffet in the evenings, with towels on their heads, leading me to believe they had probably just come from their evening shower. So yeah, we are at a bare minimum dress code right now and I would hate to see things go downhill even more. I'm okay with people being allowed to wear nice shorts on dress up nights as they do now on casual nights and I'm okay with there being only 1 dress up night on a 7-day cruise..but for me, that's about it. JMHO.

My husband just came off a cruise by himself. He said he noticed there were more people holding hands on formal nights, being more romantic. It made him feel bad I wasn't there. So I will say no, 60's. That atmosphere brings out something special, for a lot of people. This was a Princess cruise, by the way. Men always approach looking like James Bond in a tux.

No, 60s. In my age group, everyone looks better dressed up. And no shorts for men in the MDR, please. Shorts on guys is a daytime thing, IMHO.

So many traditions are falling so fast ... Can't we keep this one shred of elegance in our lives?

No. 30's.

While I do appreciate a more relaxed dress code that does not require suit & tie for men and cocktail dresses for women, I dread seeing what would happen if there was no minimum standard of required dress :eek:

+1

No, 30s.

Simply because it seems some people don't know how to dress appropriately when going to a restaurant for dinner if not being told what to wear.

No, 60s. In my age group, everyone looks better dressed up. And no shorts for men in the MDR, please. Shorts on guys is a daytime thing, IMHO.

So many traditions are falling so fast ... Can't we keep this one shred of elegance in our lives?

No shorts on ANYONE over the age of six regardless of gender in the MDR in the evening!