Should dress codes disappear?

What difference does it make? There are elitist out there who think the cruise lines rules/suggestions are for everybody else not them. I don't agree with all of them but I respect the cruise line enough to follow them. But as the number of people that ignore them grow, I'm starting to respect them less and less. I will not become one of them that ignores the rules/suggestions but it is just one more thing to add to my list for determining if I want to continue to cruise, or go back to land vacations. We have two cruises booked in October and at that time we'll decide on what we will to for travel after that. This is the first time in 12 years of cruising that we have so few cruises booked. When we book them we go, we don't cancel.

My experience with NCL's Freestyle is that: NO/40s they should not rescind the dress code!!!!

Hmmm. Just how "casual" is it over at NCL :confused:

No!!! 40s

I don't mind having formal nights. I don't always dress formal by the strict definition, but I do dress up quite nicely on those nights and enjoy seeing other people do the same.

I have no objection to nice looking shorts on casual nights, but my fear is that once the cruise line does away with suggested attire, we'll get people in gym shorts and grungy t-shirts with the sleeves cut off. The dining room should at least be an area where it's kept classy, and should not look like the pool deck during spring break :rolleyes:

Dress codes should continue to be suggested as they always have been. I will and do dress according to the code. But I don't know how many others do because I am too busy enjoying my vacation to pay attention to other people's pants

No, 60. Do not ever want tank tops for men in MDR (unless they shave their pits). But shorts on non formal nights is okay with me.

No, 60's: but I do believe they need to be changed for dinner (allow shorts on casual nights) and made stronger for lunch in the WJ so that no tank tops be worn in the WJ. It is disgusting to see hairy armpits reaching in to take food from the buffet. Imagine beads of sweat dripping from those armpit hairs into food. Yuck!

No, 30s.

But I don't think this is a very good poll. Too many ideas are conflated regarding minimum rules and then suggested dres for formal nights.

I'm saying no as I think there should be minimum rules (currently no shorts, flip flops or singlets). I would be ok with dress shorts being allowed but like many I think the 'dress' element would be lost pretty quickly.

I note those saying they don't want to wear a tux/suit on formal night - there is already no requirement to. You just have to wear pants like any other night.

NO!!!!! 30'S. Love to dress up, only chance I get on holiday. My daughter loves dressing up in her fancy clothes too. I love the elegance and class feel that unfortunately has passed in todays society, sick of wearing jeans, cruising makes me escape from that for a few nights. You can always go to the buffet if you want to dress more casual. I hope this doesn't change :D

I vote for some sort of standard and enforcing it. Doesn't have to be formal. I am a fan of smart casual, but that actually includes slacks and a shirt with a collar.

Please don't continue to use luggage fees as an excuse to dress as if one is getting ready to work in the yard. I've never heard of anyone needing a "extra bag" just for a pair of slacks and a shirt with a collar.

We recently traveled on a three night cruise, just with a carry-on roller bag each and even packed a sport jacket/slacks for my husband, and a dress for me. We didn't even need to expand the case.

M

NO, 40s almost 50s

My DH and I dont have many occasions to dress up (formal or smart casual) so for us its nice...

I do agree tho that they should change some of the dress code rules and stick to it!

Would you like them to add, on a 7 day cruise or longer, a PJ party for dinner! Can you imagine the nightmare that would cause? Men in boxers/Speedo/or thongs no shirts stomachs hanging over their waistband, Woman wearing something they THINK looks sexy on them yet leaving more to the imagination than you wanted to imagine....Just Sayin :eek::eek::eek:

Be careful what you wish for.

No 50's/60's. We rue the day we are dining in the MDR with a guy with poorly cut off jeans and a sleeveless white t-shirt. Oh wait that did happen on the February AOS cruise. We only saw them one night. I guess they felt insulted that the mater dei said something. I am not making this up they spent the whole meal complaining about tipping. OBTW they showed up at our table the third night of the cruise.

Oh dear! This again?:eek:

Of course the majority ON HERE will say no. Not that it's up to anyone on these boards.:rolleyes:

The cruise lines determine if and when there are formal nights and if and when THEIR dress code is enforced.:D

In the meantime, I hear sirens blaring in the background. Gotta go!:eek::D

Yes - last few days of 20s!

But I can now enjoy quantum class without dress codes so I'm quite happy!

I wasn't aware that Quantum had no dress code? While you can choose not to dine in the formal restaurant I'm pretty sure the minimum requirement remains in place (no shorts, singlets, flip flops).

Does anyone have contrary information?

Edited by BekkaW

No, 50's. I have no problem with relaxing the dress code but OP asked if it should go away completely. No dress code to me means swimming attire in the MDR would be OK and if that ever happens, I'm done cruising.

Agree. No 50s & 60s

I can just see it now. Tank tops, bikinis, people will just come from the pool deck smelling like suntan oil & sweat. Not exactly a nice dinner setting to me.

Edited by SAS21

I wasn't aware that Quantum had no dress code? While you can choose not to dine in the formal restaurant I'm pretty sure the minimum requirement remains in place (no shorts, singlets, flip flops).

Does anyone have contrary information?

I was referring to formal really!

The others do stand, but they aren't so much a dress code imho rather what most people would wear if they were going out.

I just object to having to put on a suit on holiday! I spend too much time in one as it is!

And you can dress smart casual in The Grand on night 1!

Edited by cynicalscotsman