Sydney, Nova Scotia video (port area only)

Cornishpastyman1

We knew there is almost nothing to see or do in the port area but none of the excursion possibilities excited us, certainly not enough to commit to a 3 or 4 hour taxi, so I just wandered around for an hour.

There is good wifi at the Joan Harriss Cruise Pavilion and plenty of seating to use it, so if you are looking for a day to catch up on emails, or to enjoy a half-empty ship, this is the one.

Previous videos from this cruise (Boston-Quebec, Veendam 11-18 July 2015) are in the Atlantic Canada and New England link below, with 4 or 5 more to come from Charlottetown, PEI and Quebec City.

[YOUTUBE]Jqtps6tbzI8[/YOUTUBE]

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for putting the video up re Sydney NS, we are there on Aurora on Oct 5, P&O UK switched us from Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. (Much to my wife's disgust, she dearly wanted to see the Anne of Green Gables Stuff at Charlottetown.)

Edited by NSWP

Thanks for putting the video up re Sydney NS, we are there on Aurora on Oct 5, P&O UK switched us from Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. (Much to my wife's disgust, she dearly wanted to see the Anne of Green Gables Stuff at Charlottetown.)

Hi Les

Ouch ! That's a real blow. We really enjoyed PEI but even if Sydney is a contender for the dullest port area I've ever seen, I'm told Cape Breton Island is really lovely so hopefully you can get out and see it (unlike me). Or make that your day to catch up on emails :)

From what I recall of the research I did on Sydney, you need at least 4 hours of taxi time to do it independently, so about $240 (Canadian) - not bad if there are 6 of you.

I realise this has the feel of 'look what you could have won' but for your wife, very quick bit of 'Anne' from PEI. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]XISMUulN-wg[/YOUTUBE]

I loved our first visit to Sydney in 2008, and I'm looking forward to returning this October. We took the "Heart of the Island" tour to the Highland Village on Cape Breton Island, and I wish we had more time there. In October we're doing a morning walking tour of Sydney, followed by a tour to Baddeck and the Alexander Graham Bell Museum for my husband, and The Spirit of the Fiddle - Sounds of Cape Breton for me. If we go there again, I'd like to visit the Fortress of Louisbourg.

• 2 weeks later...

I am truly sorry you will miss PEI, it is a beautiful island.

Sydney the town is not so great. We rented a car from Avis and drove out to the Fort and up the Marconi Trail and back. On our return stop rented a car again and went out to the Bell museum.

Rented from Avis but could have done Budget they are in the same building.

There van picks you up at the port and takes you back to the office. From port to getting in the car took about 15 minutes. Renting a car is the most reasonable way to go. Converting Canadian dollar back to US I think the cost of our full size vehicle was $35.00 and add another $10.00 to fill up the gas tank, not bad for a day of beautiful vistas for two.

I found Google maps and using their street view was my best friend for where and how I wanted to drive to these places. I found the roads in good shape and the signage easy to follow. I spent many hours planning this trip, but it was well worth the time and effort. Not once were the directions I printed out wrong, wish I could say that for our GPS.

Yes, for Sydney, renting a car and getting out into the gorgeous countryside is the way to go. As mentioned you have a wealth of choices and not nearly enough time.

You can drive part of the Cabot Trail (as far as Neil's Harbour if you don't dally), go to Baddeckk and the Highland Village in Iona (beautiful scenery in Iona), go to Fortress Louisbourg, or the Coal Miner's Museum in Glace Bay.

I loved our first visit to Sydney in 2008, and I'm looking forward to returning this October. We took the "Heart of the Island" tour to the Highland Village on Cape Breton Island, and I wish we had more time there. In October we're doing a morning walking tour of Sydney, followed by a tour to Baddeck and the Alexander Graham Bell Museum for my husband, and The Spirit of the Fiddle - Sounds of Cape Breton for me. If we go there again, I'd like to visit the Fortress of Louisbourg.
I hope you get to visit the Fortress of Louisbourg. Our August trip there was one of my favorite excursions, if not my very favorite. We planned our cruise this August to take advantage of touring the Fortress while the costumed re-enactors were there. After Labor Day, although the Fortress is open, the re-enactors are not there. Having so many people around in period costumes, demonstrating loading and shooting a musket and canon, and talking to tourists while staying in character, is a highlight of the trip.

Sydney is one port where the rental car companies meet you right at the port to take you to their offices. The drive out to Louisbourg is simple. There are ships' excursions to the Fortress of Louisbourg, too, but we wanted to stay longer.

On prior cruise we took excursions with Don Blackwood along the Cabot Trail and to Baddeck and the Alexander Graham Bell Museum, and we very much enjoyed those, too. The area around Sydney has a lot to offer, but you do have to get outside the town.

Edited by Cruise_More_Often

Thanks to everyone for your information. I just reserved a rental car with Budget for the drive to Baddeck and the Bell Museum...just in case! It will certainly cost a lot less than the tours I booked through the ship. However, I still like the tours I booked, so we'll have to think some more about this.

Tony, thank you very much for your wonderful videos. We will be on a NY/Quebec/NY cruise on the QM2 soon and your videos cover some of the ports that we will visit. These are very helpful .

We wish you happy future sailings.

Tom and Adele

Thanks Tom and Adele (and Chris/Aunt Tina too), they are just a bit of fun so I know where I've been. On cruises we see so much so quickly it can all become a bit of a blur a month or so later - or at least it does to me ! How great to have so long at Quebec City. We had nearly 2 days but it rained so much on the second that we couldn't sight-see. if you want to go to Montmorency Falls on the 800 bus it takes 45 mins each way and you'll want 30-45 mins there so with a smallish amount of bus-waiting time)they run about every 20 mins) reckon on about 3 hours out of your day. All the best, Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Where the ship dock you are close to the Main Street in Sydney called Charlotte Street. If you are not taking an excursion to Baddeck or Louisbourg there is a photo shop called Retakes and Revelry Amusement Photography where they have built three dimensional sets of places in Cape Breton, from a Coal Mine to a Fishing boat where you can dress up in costumes, and get photos taken.

This is upstairs in a store call the Smart Shop. If you are visiting Sydney and want to have some in expensive fun check this spot out. Any of the photos I have seen are great.:)

Where the ship dock you are close to the Main Street in Sydney called Charlotte Street. If you are not taking an excursion to Baddeck or Louisbourg there is a photo shop called Retakes and Revelry Amusement Photography where they have built three dimensional sets of places in Cape Breton, from a Coal Mine to a Fishing boat where you can dress up in costumes, and get photos taken.

This is upstairs in a store call the Smart Shop. If you are visiting Sydney and want to have some in expensive fun check this spot out. Any of the photos I have seen are great.:)

Thanks. I'll look it up.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey... previously in this thread a poster said "this is one of the ports where the rental companies come and pick you up."

I'm there on the 14th with HAL and I just reserved a car with AVIS. When I get off the cruise pier should I just be looking out for a bus for budget/avis? Or do i need to give them a call to ask for a bus?

Thanks!

Hey... previously in this thread a poster said "this is one of the ports where the rental companies come and pick you up."

I'm there on the 14th with HAL and I just reserved a car with AVIS. When I get off the cruise pier should I just be looking out for a bus for budget/avis? Or do i need to give them a call to ask for a bus?

Thanks!

My Budget reservation said to call their office at least 24 hours before your arrival to arrange pickup. However, I suspect they'll have a bus at the cruise port regardless.

Although our Budget rental car reservation was very inexpensive, I cancelled it in favor of the ship tours I booked.