Debarking in Hong Kong

jshli

We will be on the Celebrity Millenium which is docking and overnighting in Hong Kong. We want to arrange a private service to pick us up at the port and take us to the hotel (too much luggage for a taxi) on the morning of departure but have no idea what time to ask them to meet us since I don't know how long immigration or the whole departure process will take. Would appreciate any information and suggestions.

Which hotel are you staying at in HKG? How many in your party traveling together? How many pieces of luggage do you have?

There are no taxi vans in HKG - but, you can split up and take 2 taxi as it will save you quite a bit of money and your metered fare to most popular hotel will be relatively inexpensive, even if it involved a cross-harbor tunnel toll to the "island" side, at $15 to $25 USD per taxi.

Please see the few threads below with related transport info for the city & cruise terminal first - otherwise, you are looking at upwards of $179 USD + tipping for a "private" minivan booked via online "agent", it's your choice.

Edited by mking8288

OP, if your ship is arriving a day before disembarkation -- as our did in January -- immigration procedures will take place the day you arrive to Hong Kong. Thus, you'll have your passports at hand the morning you leave the ship, and only need to concern yourself with getting to your hotel.

The Millennium, if I'm correct, docks at the big Kai Tak terminal, and there should be plenty of taxis to take you to your hotel. As the previous poster noted, you can make private arrangements that will cost you a lot more, but taxis in Hong Kong are clean, relatively spacious, and fares within the city (going to the airport is more expensive) are in the most part less than $25. In our experience, taxi drivers in Hong Kong are efficient, no-nonsense, and won't take you for a ride.

In sum, Hong Kong is one of those places where disembarkation, if you are not in a huge hurry or have mobility issues that may require a special vehicle, is not complicated. Enjoy your trip!

Are you disembarking on Sunday or Monday? As Sunday mornings are slow business time for taxis, I would expect that there are many lining at the Kai Tak Terminal waiting for fare. For a Monday, it may be fewer taxis there between 8 am and 9:30 am, meaning a longer wait. I would suggest that you would use the taxi, actually easier than waiting for and meeting your transfer.

We will be on the Celebrity Millenium which is docking and overnighting in Hong Kong. We want to arrange a private service to pick us up at the port and take us to the hotel (too much luggage for a taxi) on the morning of departure but have no idea what time to ask them to meet us since I don't know how long immigration or the whole departure process will take. Would appreciate any information and suggestions.

I agree with Dididi. When we arrived in HGK in February the immigration was done on the day we arrived in port. When we disembarked, this went very smoothly, I think the fastest I've ever experienced anywhere.

If you are over 65, there is actually a queue for Seniors, so that is quicker too.

We used the free shuttles provided by the Malls to take us to an MTR & we went by MTR to our hotel.

There were an abundance of taxis. You will have no problem getting one.

If you are overnighting in HGK use the free Mall shuttles (Diamond Hill) which were plentiful. Take advantage of seeing the lovely Chi Lin Nunnery & Nan Lian Gardens, which are within short walking distance from where the shuttle drops you. You can also connect all over HGK from Diamond Hill for the rest of the days exploring.

If the weather is clear, visit the Peak when it is clear.

Enjoy.

Thanks everyone for your input. My concern is that we have 3 large pieces of luggage and 1 carry on and according to what I have read, the taxis in Hong Kong cannot accommodate this amount of luggage and the two of us will not be able to handle it on public transportation. If we choose to go the private transfer route, what time would it be safe to schedule with the driver and then we can work the time with Celebrity cruises when we are on board the ship. Thanks again.

Thanks everyone for your input. My concern is that we have 3 large pieces of luggage and 1 carry on and according to what I have read, the taxis in Hong Kong cannot accommodate this amount of luggage and the two of us will not be able to handle it on public transportation. If we choose to go the private transfer route, what time would it be safe to schedule with the driver and then we can work the time with Celebrity cruises when we are on board the ship. Thanks again.

You could check with the hotel you are going to stay at. I think most hotels can arrange this for you.

If the Peninsula you may even get a RR or Bentley ;)

Are these large luggage 27" or 28" ones in excess of 44 lbs. (50 lbs flying interntional) ? One of our nephews @ the local airport would :D love to collect excess size AND overweight bag fees -

Delta%20Logo.jpg

We fitted 3x 25" suitcases in the trunk of the typical HK red Toyata taxi-sedan, bungee corded securely to the airport plus 3 carry-on/hand luggage inside. Have the name & address of the hotel in Chinese ready to show the driver as most have limited, if any, functional English skills & please pay in HKD (local currency) - licensed C.E. services is provided inside the terminal on ship days.

Or, driver can put 2 large pieces in the trunk, along with the carry-on. The 3rd large piece go into the backseat & one of you ride next to it. Second person sit in the front seat/next to the driver - typically a 20 to 30 minutes ride to popular hotels around TST or Central (name ?? care to share with us) - slighter longer time during rush hour (before 9:30 am)

Check with your hotel on early check-in options & ($$ extra fees ??) availability, unless you plan to just store luggage with the bellhops and hit the pavement sightseeing first before returning later on ... Hotel "transfers" door-to-door are mostly shared rides on a mini-coach bus seating 20+ to as many as 36, often quoted for about $14 to $18 p/p one-way to/from airport.

Unlike the US & other places, there is no UBer/X or Lyft in HK - besides the Peninsula, IC (ex-Regent) has for booking a fleet of Benz, Rolls & a Bentley for guests to/from airport, etc. As you can come & go on your own schedule day after arrival, pick any time after 10 a.m. should be fine to walkoff the gangway & arrange/meet your ground transport - designated pickup areas are less than 5 minutes from the secured entrance/exit inside the pier.

Edited by mking8288

Thank you for your prompt response. Our luggage measures. 29" each which we always travel with (much to my husband's chagrin). I always weigh it before going to the airport and have never been over the maximum weight of 50 lbs.

We are staying at the Hyatt Regency in Kowloon and will leave our luggage at the hotel and start our sightseeing if the room is not ready. I will use the 10:00 time as a guideline for arranging a pickup. You have been very helpful. Thanks again.

... Peninsula with their Benleys and RRs are out of our budget.
If you are staying there a bit, (British) high afternoon tea is a tradition at "Pen" but IC's lobby facing the harbor is actually a much nicer view (been there & done it a few times) with its 30' high ceiling to floor glass windows, getting seated next to it is the tricky part.

Well, consensus is to go with the red taxi as fare to the Hyatt should be under $15 USD w. tips included and no harbor-tunnel toll. You can call for a radio-dispatched taxi although the lines, and, from what I gathered, isn't bad as the morning rush to sightsee will be long gone at 10 AM. Locals posting here can lookup some dispatcher #'s if you wish.

Driver will likely stood the 2 or 3 suitcases vertically into the trunk, bungee cord it securely, throw the carryon into the cab with you and off you go to the Hyatt, which is, an excellent location - 2.5 blocks to busy Nathan Road & nearest MTR (Tsim "East") line just a block away. Taxi's trunk are rectangular and deep so don't worry if it's just 3 big ones & 2 of you, or they will waive for the next one with a bigger trunk. Less than 10 km and 20 minutes by taxi, maybe 25 to 30 in busy traffic mostly on the elevated express roadway (Chatham Road) once you go under the KT Tunnel (toll-less) below the old airport bypass.

Cut & paste this for the taxi, and driver will get you there.

Hyatt Regency Hotel - Tsim Sha Tsui

凱悅酒店,河內道18號,尖沙咀

Since you've mentioned budget, this will save you plenty - for high tea & money for a nice dinner for 2. Plenty of folks staying at the YMCA next to the "Pen" but go there at tea time just to live it up, once - at least. Comfortable walking shoes are your companion as everything tourist popular is nearby walking distance. Enjoy ! :D

We recently stayed at the Hyatt Regency and caught a taxi to embark QM2 at Kai Tak. We also caught a taxi from the airport to the Hyatt.

We had two large suitecases and when travelling from the airport the driver tied the boot down with an octopus strap and even though the ride was quite a distance we had no problems at all.

On the way from the Hyatt to the cruise terminal the driver didn't need to do this and these same bags fitted into the trunk. As others have mentioned, you will need HKD and they don't accept credit cards. The taxis are metered and very cheap. On the way to Kai Tak we had travelled kilometres before the metre moved on from the $2HK flag fall. We thought the driver had forgotten to turn the metre on. :D

The Hyatt does have a limo service so if you are concerned then perhaps check it out with them. BTW the Hyatt has a small shopping mall underneath with a good supermarket on the lower level should you need anything. I was able to pay for my purchases with my debit card that I use here at home. Bonus.

• 3 months later...

FWIW, I posted this in another forum (i.e. a cruise roll call):

According to this link we will be docked at the Kai Tak Cruise Terminal in Hong Kong:

http://www.kaitakcruiseterminal.com.hk/schedule/

It used to be the Kai Tak airport.

1.7-bannerb.jpg

It is still a work in progress and I don't think it is currently a "world class facility"

Re: “The Kai Tak Cruise Terminal is the first development in a large area, and as more land in the Kai Tak district is developed, such as an MTR station, six luxury hotels, stadium and pediatric hospital, transportation will improve,” he said.

http://www.marketing-interactive.com/kai-tak-to-give-promotional-support-to-retail-partners/

1.7.2.4-banner.jpg

Links with some information on the cruise port.

http://www.kaitakcruiseterminal.com.hk/schedule/

http://www.discoverhongkong.com/us/cruise/cruise-terminals/kai-tak-cruise-terminal.jsp

http://www.kaitakcruiseterminal.com.hk/

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=273222&page=32

More on the Kai Tak cruise terminal in Hong Kong; I'm getting off the ship in Hong Kong and staying in a Hong Kong hotel a couple nights before flying home.

FWIW, I emailed the Kai Tak about the shuttle:

Re: On ship call days, there are free shuttle buses for debarking cruise passengers and crew to nearby MTR stations adjoining shopping malls. During turn calls, additional paid shuttle service is typically available both from the cruise line (e.g. to airport) and from the terminal operator (e.g. to Kowloon Airport Express and Tsim Sha Tsui area hotels, and/or Hung Hom Station).

Can you take luggage (i.e. suitcases) on the free shuttle bus to the MTR station?

Any idea how much the "paid shuttle" is per person to the Tsim Sha Tsui area hotels and/or Hung Horn MTR station?

Here was their response:

Dear ScriptOhio,

Certainly you can travel free shuttle with your luggages as the free shuttle provided luggage spaces for their passengers.

The “Paid Transfer” are offered to most of the turn call day and the route may vary based on different ship call.

Please kindly note the below fees for 3 different routes of paid transfer for your kind references:

1. The Tsim Sha Tsui route HKD $80 / USD $12 / RMB $80

2. Hung Hom HKD $30 / USD $5 / RMB $30

3. Hong Kong Island HKD $100/ USD $15 / RMB $100

Please be reminded again, the route may vary base of different ship call, please check the route with us again before the ship call.

Should you have any queries or require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

Frank

Terminal Operations Team

Worldwide Cruise Terminals