Northwest

bejw

Northwest is all over the news shows this morning after a dismal weekend performance.

Current diagnosis: The number of pilots who maxed out flying time last month (FAA says no more than 100 hours per month/ most contracts with carriers call for no more than 90) was great, leading to little flexibility at the end of the month. The say expect this problem at every month end for a while.

Question for those in the know- does an hour spent on the tarmac count as a flight hour? If so, no wonder the hours were maxxed out. ( sorry if this was answered on the longer thread- I don't have the time to read it)

I'm not entirely certain that the pilots "maxed out" ... as best I can tell from the news stories, by end-month many or most pilots have reached the 90 hours prescribed in their contract and could be eligible to work "overtime" by working up to the 100 hour maximum allowed by FAA. There may be some pilots upset by the deep cuts imposed on them during bankruptcy and, therefore, they are not accepting extra trips above the 90 hours. I suspect the attitude is based on a feeling that cuts and, yes, bonuses may not have been imposed fairly and equitably thruout the ranks, with management coming out WAY ahead. JMHO

Archived