Childcare aboard NCL ! Please help!

Jack1egx3

Looking for any comments or insight on childcare on Norwegian cruise lines specifically we're looking to go on the Breakaway... Debating between cruising Norwegian or RCL (we've traveled several times with them and are very comfortable with their system), it all just comes down to the child care. My son is 5. Please leave any stories, schedules, or any sort of insight you have on this.. Thank you :D

Twinmommy, were there any issues with the kids club limiting the numbers of children who could attend? (there was a forum post about that a few months ago and I'm hoping the issue has been resolved since nothing has been posted about that recently.)

Our son was on the Star, a much older ship, and he still absolutely loved the kids club programs. They had really great activities for the kids, and we finally had to switch his nap schedule to match the hours the kids club was closed since he didn't want to miss the special activities in the kids club (he made a cape and had a treasure hunt, had a pillow fight, and was dressed up as a tiger in a show on the main stage). On the Star, the kids pool was crowded for the 4 hours the kids club was closed on sea days and there were long lines to sign the kids back in when they reopened, but hopefully that isn't an issue on the newer ships that are much larger than the Star (those reviews will be more relevant for you on the Breakaway).

Edited by kitkat343

• 3 weeks later...

Our son is 5 years old and we just got off the Getaway, Breakaway's sister ship. My son had a fantastic time in the kid's club. His previous cruise was on Carnival Breeze and while he enjoyed the kid's club, he was always ready to go. It was a lot of free play and way too much screen time for my liking. We had planned to utilize it every day, but ended up only using it 3 times.

This time, we dropped DS off every night at 7 and he usually stayed until after 10. One night, we also did late night owls but only for an hour as we were so tired! She told us when we registered to make sure they eat before you drop them off because they keep them very active and they really did. They played games, did activities, crafts, etc. all the time.

My son loved the games and talked about them whenever he left. They did face painting, a pajama party with a pillow fight, a balloon sword fight, and lots of active games.

I can't remember the exact nights, but the activities were the Welcome Party, Super Duper Heroes, Turtle's Big Adventure, Rainbows, Pirate's Plunder, Dragons and Princesses, and the Pajama Party.

I know on port days it is free play combined ages 3-12. He never went during the day, but I do know one day they did a jungle hunt and we saw all the kids being led around the ship interacting with other staff, so cute!

They also decorated the whole area and got dressed in costume every night. It made me so happy that we were able to enjoy dinner and the shows without boring him to death, and he had a great experience.

Our son is 5 years old and we just got off the Getaway, Breakaway's sister ship. My son had a fantastic time in the kid's club. His previous cruise was on Carnival Breeze and while he enjoyed the kid's club, he was always ready to go. It was a lot of free play and way too much screen time for my liking. We had planned to utilize it every day, but ended up only using it 3 times.

This time, we dropped DS off every night at 7 and he usually stayed until after 10. One night, we also did late night owls but only for an hour as we were so tired! She told us when we registered to make sure they eat before you drop them off because they keep them very active and they really did. They played games, did activities, crafts, etc. all the time.

My son loved the games and talked about them whenever he left. They did face painting, a pajama party with a pillow fight, a balloon sword fight, and lots of active games.

I can't remember the exact nights, but the activities were the Welcome Party, Super Duper Heroes, Turtle's Big Adventure, Rainbows, Pirate's Plunder, Dragons and Princesses, and the Pajama Party.

I know on port days it is free play combined ages 3-12. He never went during the day, but I do know one day they did a jungle hunt and we saw all the kids being led around the ship interacting with other staff, so cute!

They also decorated the whole area and got dressed in costume every night. It made me so happy that we were able to enjoy dinner and the shows without boring him to death, and he had a great experience.

I'm curious about the Getaway kids' club.

We have been on MANY Carnival cruises and my kids really enjoyed the kids club. Although there was a "schedule" of activities, if you weren't interested in that particular activity, there were plenty of other things to do in camp. That said, my kids enjoyed most of the activities.....which varied from games to crafts to face painting, etc.

Last year, we went on RCCL Allure and Oasis, and my kids HATED the kids camp. I was really surprised. They said that the only they did was play specific games. So, whatever the game was at the scheduled time, you had to play. No questions. And, my kids said the games weren't very fun because there were so many kids playing the game, that it felt like they were always waiting their turn and never actually doing anything.

This year, we're going on the NCL Getaway and I'm wondering where you think it will fall in this spectrum. I'm getting the sense that it may be more like RCCL with scheduled games that you have to play. Or are the activities more varied than just games?

• 3 weeks later...

We are on the Getaway this Saturday. We are staying down the hall from the Splash Academy. My kids - both 7 y.o. - have been on about 4-5 cruises already. They've been on the RCL Allure and Freedom of the Seas and weren't crazy about the kids korner. They've been on the Norwegian Sun (12-day cruise) and RAN to the kids club every morning.

They are excited about Splash Academy and the fact there seem to be a lot of activities for them to be engaged in. I'm excited about the fact they're excited. It means I get time to relax! :D

They just seem to prefer NCL over RCCL.

We are on the Getaway this Saturday. We are staying down the hall from the Splash Academy. My kids - both 7 y.o. - have been on about 4-5 cruises already. They've been on the RCL Allure and Freedom of the Seas and weren't crazy about the kids korner. They've been on the Norwegian Sun (12-day cruise) and RAN to the kids club every morning.

They are excited about Splash Academy and the fact there seem to be a lot of activities for them to be engaged in. I'm excited about the fact they're excited. It means I get time to relax! :D

They just seem to prefer NCL over RCCL.

Please share the Splash Academy schedule when you get back. Thank you!

Our kids first cruise was on NCL and they loved it! Didn't want to miss anything and we couldn't get them to leave. Their second cruise was on RC and while they liked it and had fun they didn't want to go as much. NCL used to do circus stuff and my oldest walked away with the useless (but fun) skill of plate spinning. He liked it so much that we bought him a plate spinning set and he did an act in the school talent show!

Our kids first cruise was on NCL and they loved it! Didn't want to miss anything and we couldn't get them to leave. Their second cruise was on RC and while they liked it and had fun they didn't want to go as much. NCL used to do circus stuff and my oldest walked away with the useless (but fun) skill of plate spinning. He liked it so much that we bought him a plate spinning set and he did an act in the school talent show!

Ha ha we've just come of NCL Jade and my son has also acquired an interest in plate spinning. My daughter in the other hand took exception to being told she was doing the feather act in the show, rather than the scarves and decided she wasn't going to club on the day of the show. My kids seem to enjoy NCL clubs. And certainly better than RCI where my son complained it was very regimented and you had to do the activity that was scheduled and that there was a lot of hanging around.