Question About Poor Quantum Reviews

Put it this way... There are some who hire a private transportation somewhere hoping for a Rolls Royce and when the Bentley shows up, says to him/herself "you know, not exactly what I was hoping for, but its still top quality". There are others who hope for the Rolls, get the Bentley, and it absolutely ruins their trip to the point where they can't find happiness anywhere else.

The second kind of person tends to be the one most vocal on Cruise Critic.

Some of us book Royal Caribbean, thinking we are getting a Royal Caribbean Ship/Experience: then when we get a NCL Ship/Experience We Did Not Book, We Are Unhappy!!

So when you think about it, I wonder why this is: why are we given a product, we never agreed to buy, based on another company's standards, we choose never to sail on??

I have been on the ship, since she first sailed and she is absolute garbage!!!! The reviews are still poor, in that Quantum is a highly flawed vessel and an absolute disgrace to Royal Caribbean International: this being said, Quantum would be a fine sister ship, to the NCL Epic.

The 43% approval rate is justly deserved and if one looks back at the first months of both Oasis & Allure, their passenger ratings were outstanding.

Don't pay attention, to the cheerleaders; its YOUR MONEY & TIME, use it wisely! Why not go on a ship with warm reviews and NOT risk it??

"Flawed vessel" "absolute disgrace". I don't know what ship you were on but it sure wasn't the Quantum.

I'll disagree a little with this. Sure, only a small percentage of people participate on CC, but I imagine that percentage is pretty representative of the whole.

Yes, negative voices ring louder than happy ones.

BUT, there's one factor that I think can't be discounted. Reviews for Quantum here are WAY lower than any other RCI ship - by 20-40 percentage points, last time I looked. Sorry, but that's significant - because all the reviews here are from the SAME "small percentage of cruisers" and would have the SAME "louder negative voices." Look at reviews across the board for all the different RCI ships - Quantum sticks out like a sore thumb.

Change however is never easy, and for most people not welcome. Quantum offered big changes, which meant I would expect more negative reviews. And the negative reviews came in bundles.

I wonder how the reviews stacked up when Oasis debuted or when 'for fee specialty restaurants' started....negative reviews were a part of those. DH and I were talking last night, about how we rarely go to a specialty restaurant on a ship usually. The exception is to Izumi, for Japanese food that we can't get in the MDR. We won't pay for something we can get in the MDR -- that is us.

I have posted this before, but here it is again:

Look at the Cruise Critic reviews in the review section.

Look at the date of the cruise.

1. Discount any review before February 2015. Why? Because I said so. ;)

2. Discount ANY review that gave a 1 or 2 to the entertainment. They are mean nasty people who wouldn't know a good cruise if it bit them on the butt.

:D

Sorry, but CC does their own compilations and lists totals for the ship as a whole, as well as dining, entertainment and other categories. I'm not about to do my own individual compilation of every individual review. On the other hand, if YOU want to spend the time, go right ahead! ;)

And again - as for those "mean nasty people" you complain about, its safe to assume that they're here reviewing ALL ships, not just Quantum, so no, I'm not inclined to discount those or any other reviews, when I look at how badly Quantum scores in comparison to every other RCI ship.

I tend to discount most any individual review or at least try to adjust it for what I know/observe from other posts from that member. But I believe that compilations of all reviews across the board are quite relevant and useful.

Change however is never easy, and for most people not welcome. Quantum offered big changes, which meant I would expect more negative reviews. And the negative reviews came in bundles.

I wonder how the reviews stacked up when Oasis debuted or when 'for fee specialty restaurants' started....negative reviews were a part of those. DH and I were talking last night, about how we rarely go to a specialty restaurant on a ship usually. The exception is to Izumi, for Japanese food that we can't get in the MDR. We won't pay for something we can get in the MDR -- that is us.

Surprisingly, Quantum didn't rate quite low just for dining, but in a number of categories.

And, although I wasn't here when Oasis debuted, a number of other veteran CC'ers have stated that reviews were very favorable, a huge contrast with Quantum's debut.

Edited by LetsGetWet!

Just returned from a 9 day cruise in February. I loved the ship, cabins, free style dining and the technology! The food wasn't the best I've ever had, but it wasn't the worst either. I had the best sushi ever at Izumi though. I LOVED my cabin (11260). I also loved the Internet speed.

While I was on the ship, many were complaining and longing for Oasis/Allure. I just couldn't understand what they were complaining about.

Dining doesn't take long at all! I ate at silk one night, didn't care for it and went directly to American Icon for dinner #2 (no reservation). I ate at BOTH restaurants in under 2 hours.

I will say this, the service isn't as good as it used to be. But that didn't ruin my cruise.

I'm already booked on the Anthem for 2016!!!!

sailing out of NJ is a major plus.

Edited by Newatt

We just got off the Quantum on Friday from

A 12 night cruise. We had a few tiny blips

With our sea pass card but it was quickly

Rectified at guest services. Other than that it

was perfect. Loved the ship and the entire

experience was wonderful ! Highly recommend it ;)

• 2 weeks later...
I have been on the ship, since she first sailed and she is absolute garbage!!!! The reviews are still poor, in that Quantum is a highly flawed vessel and an absolute disgrace to Royal Caribbean International: this being said, Quantum would be a fine sister ship, to the NCL Epic.

The 43% approval rate is justly deserved and if one looks back at the first months of both Oasis & Allure, their passenger ratings were outstanding.

Don't pay attention, to the cheerleaders; its YOUR MONEY & TIME, use it wisely! Why not go on a ship with warm reviews and NOT risk it??

Having left the ship on Saturday, I have to agree with your conclusion. we were very disappointed with the ship. Many nice things but many not so nice! The reviews are correct. Will stick to Allure and Oasis when sailing on RC

Edited by Cruise a holic

Everything new has kinks to work out....you can take the word of others, or go and enjoy something yourself. No matter what ship, or age of ship -- you will find good and bad reviews -- and all of them are very subjective (even the good ones).

Remember only a small percentage of people participate on CC, and negative voices ring louder than happy ones (not just in this, but overall in society).

We have all been to restaurants or movies/shows at home that others disliked, yet we loved them.

Everyone goes on a cruise with different expectations. Go and enjoy....set yourself up for a GREAT vacation and HAVE one. Worry less and enjoy more.

So are you looking to book Anthem or Quantum....whichever, just do it, as Nike says.

This is true - the moaners moan loud!

Having left the ship on Saturday, I have to agree with your conclusion. we were very disappointed with the ship. Many nice things but many not so nice! The reviews are correct. Will stick to Allure and Oasis when sailing on RC

And maybe you were disappointed in Quantum, but there are other ships in the fleet that you might like, if you looked beyond just Allure and Oasis.

We just did had a wonderful cruise on Independence, it doesn't have everything that Allure and Oasis does, but the Freedom class of ship, has plenty to offer.

We also got off the ship on Saturday. We had a great time.

We had booked all meals and entertainment ahead of time and had no problem with our reservations once on board. We only ate in the complimentary restaurants and found the choice and quality of the dishes to be excellent. Menus were changed mid way through the 8 day cruise. Service might have been a little slow, dinner usually taking close to two hours, but we really didn't mind as we found plenty to talk about with our group of six. We found the waiters were all friendly and very accommodating.

The entertainment was all good, Mama Mia was great, as good as when we saw it on Broadway. Starwater was a little strange but I'm still glad I saw it.

We did find the ship felt crowded especially on the cooler sea days, but that didn't spoil our experience. I wouldn't rush to sail on this class again, as my husband and son agree that we prefer the Freedom and Oasis class of ships, but we still loved this cruise and are glad we experienced Quantum.

My husband and I cruised the Quantum for 12 nights in March. We are diamond members ,but have not cruised RCL for a few years. We were with 3 other couples and make our time. We made all reservations before hand,which was a pain,but worked out fine when onboard. what I can say I disliked the most was the coldest we felt on the ship.By that I mean the officers and crew didn't even acknowledge us. We have cruised about 20 cruises and this is the first ship I felt that they didn't care about us at all. the ship is going to China in May and I felt that was the only thing they cared about. I did have issues and believe it or not I am not a complainer,but they never once addressed them.

That being said you could sail the Athem with a completely different crew and love it. Just go where your heart leads you and have fun no matter what. We are only here,once.

Good luck

We also got off the ship on Saturday. We had a great time.

We had booked all meals and entertainment ahead of time and had no problem with our reservations once on board. We only ate in the complimentary restaurants and found the choice and quality of the dishes to be excellent. Menus were changed mid way through the 8 day cruise. Service might have been a little slow, dinner usually taking close to two hours, but we really didn't mind as we found plenty to talk about with our group of six. We found the waiters were all friendly and very accommodating.

The entertainment was all good, Mama Mia was great, as good as when we saw it on Broadway. Starwater was a little strange but I'm still glad I saw it.

We did find the ship felt crowded especially on the cooler sea days, but that didn't spoil our experience. I wouldn't rush to sail on this class again, as my husband and son agree that we prefer the Freedom and Oasis class of ships, but we still loved this cruise and are glad we experienced Quantum.

Since we enjoy new experiences, I am also glad to have experienced the Quantum. I believe you need some negative experiences to truly appreciate and recognize excellent ones. Perhaps if the Quantum was our first cruise, I might have a different evaluation. As somebody once said, a bad day on a cruise is much better then a good day at work!

How was cruising with kids on quantum? ( if you brought them)

We had a four year old. She wasn't interested in the camp and was too young to enjoy some of the other venues on the ship.

However did bring three children 8 10 and 12 on the Allure and they enjoyed all of the facilities for children.