what if you just miss the plane

happy cruzer

I had a nightmare 2 nights ago that I had remembered the time of my flight incorrectly and got to the airport 1 hour after the plane left.

What happens, assuming it is a major air carrier roundtrip (non refundable) ticket on the first leg? Do you just have to buy a new roundtrip ticket?

I never cut it close but one time our limo did not show up and we live 2 hours from the airport and it was a Monday at 7am (rush hour). We did do alot of driving on the shoulder of the highway and parked in close in parking to get there in time. That was my closest call and don't want to ever go there again.

I suspect that the airline would consider you a "no-show". While the carrier likely would honor that ticket, you would be put on standby/waitlist status for the next availble seat ... which, based on the planes going out pretty full these days, could be a couple of days later. Your other option, of course, would be to buy another ticket, but walk-up/same-day fares tend to be prohibitively expensive. I may be wrong and perhaps others on these boards with more airline experiences could shed a different light on the subject ... but my guess is you wouldn't get a confirmed seat if you didn't show for the first flight.

Carriers used to have a "flat tire" rule and would put you on their next available flight at no charge. These days, in the never ending fight to squeeze every bit of money out of the consumer, a lot of them will now charge you at least a change fee to put you on the next available seat on their airline.

The biggest problem though is having a seat available on another flight. Airlines are overbooking more and more flights, and more and more flights are going out full. If you miss a flight to a popular destination it could be a few days before another seat is available.

Another big variable is the agent you get at the airport. Will you get helpful & understanding Melody Sunshine or "by the book" Janice Crabapple who could care less about your situation. I've seen both, often working side-by-side at the counter.

Plan on getting to the airport ridiculously early. Far better to have some extra time on your hands at the airport, than to miss your plane.

Also, have a Plan B for getting to the airport, in case Plan A falls through (eg, ask a friend beforehand if you can call them to get you to the airport in case your limo's late).

For a fee, most airlines will put you on a later flight IF seats are available. They are under no obligation to get you to the ship before it sails. If you miss the ship because you missed the flight, it would be at your expense to get to catch up to the ship at another port.

Best advice, DON'T MISS YOUR FLIGHT.

There is no straight answer. You need to know what are the terms and conditions of your fare. The cheapest fares will allow no flexibility - use it or lose it. Others may allow changes at certain times and for certain fees. Ask when you buy so you know in advance. It's all to do with who is at risk. If you fail to show and your ticket is refundable, then the airline is at risk. The airline will give you a lower fare if you accept the risk and agree that the seat is paid for whether you show up or not.

Thanks everyone. Yeah, I do plan never to have it happen.

But if for same strange reason, I were to miss the first part of a roundtrip ticket that was my own fault i.e not covered by insurance, I would like to know what to expect. Being prepared for the best or worse case, can make a big difference.

Archived