luggage first class to coach?

FritzG

We're flying SEA-CLE in May. We upgraded to first class for the longer SEA-ORD leg, but we kept the economy seats for the one hr. flight to Cleveland. We're allowed 70lbs. in each case on the first leg. Since the bags will be checked through to CLE in SEA will United take the time to reweigh them before the ORD-CLE flight, or is it more likely that they will just be transferred between planes? If so, wouldn't that require a new luggage tag since the first one would be flagged as first class?

Edited by FritzG

When you check in in SEA your luggage should be tagged all the way to CLE and you will not need to claim them or recheck them in ORD.

This is correct. It makes no difference whether one's segments are First Class, then Coach or Coach, then First Class. First Class baggage policy takes precedence.

:eek:

That's what I was hoping. The added 20 lbs. in the luggage post cruise will be welcome.

Just be sure that someone in your party can heft that 70 pound bag off the luggage belt! :D Does first class luggage get different treatment than coach? (I am honestly asking in that I have never flown 1st but I have high hopes someday!) With the huge airports and often having to ride a bus to the car rental or parking lot then the huge parking garage/lot. Cruising is easy -- Getting to the starting line and then back home are really the challenge. It seems there is never a luggage person or wheel chair attendant etc there when needed and family can not go to the plane with you due to security. In some other countries and airlines -- carry-on luggage is weighted and strictly enforced but even if not -- getting that heavy carry-on into the luggage bin is almost past us now.

I try to limit my luggage to 1 rolling suitcase or duffle bag that weights UNDER 40 pounds plus 1 rolling tote that is under 20 pounds and that includes my purse. The shoulder surgeon insists on these limits!!:eek: Over 40 pounds and handling the suitcase on rough paths, cobblestones, up a stair to lobby or placing it on a luggage rack -- just too much chance to hurt yourself. Just something to think about. First class is nice but it doesn't take care of it all.

... Does first class luggage get different treatment than coach? ...
On United, they stick special tags on the first class bags. Those specially tagged bags are supposed to get put on the baggage carousel first, but YMMV.

I agree with you, don't stuff the bags just because you have 70 pounds. And don't check two bags each just because you can. The voice of experience from schlepping such luggage on the French TGV after a river cruise. Airline didn't care, train didn't care, cruiseline didn't care, but my aching back sure did.

One of the perks of paying for First Class air fare is First Class service for one's luggage. Cannot speak to United's procedures for their First Class guests, but Delta tags First Class bags with a Sky Priority sticker. Sometimes, it does mean that the bags arrive at baggage claim before others. Their track record for this service, however, is not 100%.

Does first class luggage get different treatment than coach?

Theoretically,yes. In reality... maybe :) In my experience, the airline will put a red "priority" tag through your luggage tag. Often that means it's one of the first off the plane and onto the luggage carousel. Which is lovely, when it works.

Twice in the last year, though, not so much. I flew United from Fort Lauderdale to Chicago with a flight change in Atlanta. Flight number changed, but the aircraft was the same. Still, for some reason, they took my bag off the plane in Atlanta and didn't put it back on.

This spring , I flew American direct from Miami to Chicago. Don't know why, but my bag was one of the last off the plane (there were only 3-4 other people waiting for their bags when mine finally showed up).