1st time Cruisers; What is ideal ratio of port days to ship/ cruising days?

jerry02

I'm considering a 10-15 day S. carribean cruise. And i have read ggod things about these ports. However, I'm not sure how to choose a cruise package with ideal ratio between day spent on ship vs that spent on ports. Appreciate your thoughts...:confused:

Hi Jerry02,

I think it is more dependent on the itinierary than cruise days. Some itineraries are very port intensive and some have a sea day, or two, mixed in. Even with a port intensive cruise you can arrange your days in port so you can maximize your time on the ship. A typical day in port means a relatively empty ship and it can be nice.

I, personally, like sea days so having a couple in a row is a bonus for me. As you do your research you will find there is no standard.

Good luck,

Larry

You'll get varied answers. I like a 50/50 mix, though it's rare that happens. For port intensive cruises, the nice part is you've usually either a) visited one before or b) don't have much you want to do at at least one. For some people, they don't even get off the ship in port and LOVE the relatively empty ship. Others would go stir crazy on more than two sea days.

For our upcoming 10 day, we have four ports we are doing something, and one we'll literally just get off the ship, poke around on foot at some light shopping and sites, have a drink (maybe lunch) and return. So that's almost like another sea day! A good balance for us.

After more then 2 years on cruise ships we think its simply one of those different strokes for different folks kind of thing. DW and I love days at sea and will often book long cruises with many sea days. A 30 day cruise with 25 sea days would be our idea of heaven. There are many other cruisers who hate sea days and try to book cruises that are in port nearly every day (Caribbean cruises out of San Juan often come close to this goal). As to OPs question, there is no answer other then just do what feels right for you!

Hank

This is a personal thing as most others have said. That is the nice thing about cruising. You can still customize your experience to your liking. Personally I am a port warrior; the more the merrier, particularly if we haven't been there before. But thats just me.

Archived