Alaska books/movies for teens?

limoncello07

Hi all: I'm taking two 14-year old boys on an Inside Passage cruise in July, and I'm looking for recommendations of books or movies about Alaska/Southeast Alaska that they might enjoy reading/seeing ahead of time. This could include both fiction and nonfiction, as well as any travel guides or documentaries that are particularly well-suited for teens (and especially teenage boys). I've seen earlier threads with book recommendations in this forum -- and have already used them to create my own reading list -- but most of those recommendations seemed geared toward adults. Many thanks in advance for your assistance!

The guides that our children have used at that age are the ones by Eye Witness --very visual.

Gary Paulsen is a great writer http://www.amazon.com/Woodsong-Gary-Paulsen/dp/1416939393/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1464304746&sr=8-13&keywords=Alaska+books+for+teens

Jack London : Call of the Wild . This looks like an interesting edition http://www.amazon.com/Call-Wild-Graphic-Campfire-Novels/dp/9380028334/ref=sr_1_18?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1464305403&sr=1-18&keywords=Alaska+for+kids

Also various video versions of COTW.

Carol Marsh has several young teen books about Alaska

Libby Riddles - Race Across Alaska (about her Iditarod race).

If you are on Princess, your teens will be able to meet her at the end of the day in Juneau as she does a presentation on every Princess ship. She will also autograph the book, etc..

http://www.libbyriddles.com/books-and-gifts.html

I think this book would appeal to teens.

Edited by Coral

There is a great PBS show that I found on either Amazon Prime or Netflix called The Klondike Gold Rush that I watched with my kids to give them some background for our upcoming cruise. Also "the great Klondike Gold Rush" by Pierre Berton is a book geared towards teens which I bought for my kids, but it's a tad advanced reading for them (9 & 11) so we are reading it together. I read the adult version by Pierre Berton and found it fascinating.

Edited by Osborn Cox

What a great mix of suggestions -- thank you all for posting! I'm a long-distance aunt (and not a parent), so the personal recommendations are particularly helpful. I was pretty good at selecting children's books that appealed to nieces and nephews when they were smaller, but it's been harder for me to gauge their interests and appropriate reading level for them as teens.

Coral, we are indeed going on Princess and I was aware that Libby Riddles would be on the ship, but I didn't even think about her book -- great idea!

Many thanks again for the prompt and intriging responses.

If they are like most boys that age, they are more likely to watch YouTube videos than read books. You might be better off searching YouTube for some entertaining but informative videos. If I'd told my teen boys to read "Call of the Wild" before out Alaskan cruises, they'd have rolled their eyes at me and gone back to their computers. :rolleyes:

If they are like most boys that age, they are more likely to watch YouTube videos than read books. You might be better off searching YouTube for some entertaining but informative videos. If I'd told my teen boys to read "Call of the Wild" before out Alaskan cruises, they'd have rolled their eyes at me and gone back to their computers. :rolleyes:

The edition I suggested is a graphic novel...... as well as a video.

Edited by Alaskanb

The Gold Rush, Charlie Chaplin's still-hysterical silent film.

The Far Country, Jimmy Stewart's 1955 movie about cowboys on their way to Dawson.

Klondike, a Discovery Channel mini-series from a couple of years ago, might be available on DVD or streaming. Highly rated.

Not involving SE Alaska too much, but a remarkable little film that didn't receive nearly the audience it deserved, Spirit of the Wind is the story of the great Athabaskan champion dog musher George Attla. Available on DVDs but also viewable here. Really inspiring story, great for young people.

Thanks for all the ongoing suggestions! Sherryf, you make a good point about the YouTube generation! I will say that one advantage of being an aunt is that my gaggle will often put up with "retro" suggestions from me that they would otherwise reject outright if they came from their parents -- go figure. But your point is well taken, and the graphic novel version of Call of the Wild suggested by Alaskanb looks will probably be a much better way to pique their interest -- it's pretty cool!

The other thing I have going for me is that summer vacation just started, and they will need ways to look productively "busy" around the house if they want to avoid having their parents assign them 40 hours of chores a week. ;)

Thanks again!