Houston Cruise hotel recommendations

hareds2

Also, what airport are you flying into?

For our Christmas cruise out of Baytown, staying at an airport hotel worked out best for us.

There is a Baytown on the upper part of Galveston Bay, but you didn't sail from there, you sailed from Bayport. Don't want anyone to look at a map and get confused. ;)

This is our first time sailing out of Houston what hotels are nearby

There are two different ports, nowhere near each other: Galveston and Bayport.

Which cruise line are you on? Carnival sails from Galveston. NCL and Princess sail from Bayport.

If we know which port we can then answer your question.

There is a Baytown on the upper part of Galveston Bay, but you didn't sail from there, you sailed from Bayport. Don't want anyone to look at a map and get confused. ;)

Thank you, Tillie, you are absolutely correct. I wrote "town" when I meant "port"!

Hareds2, if you are flying into Hobby and sailing out of BayPORT, you have a couple of options:

1. Stay at a Hobby Airport area hotel that night and then take a taxi (or ship's transfer from the airport) the next day to the cruise terminal. We stayed at the SpringHill Suites at Hobby Airport and then took Pasadena Taxi from the hotel to Bayport. They quoted us a fare of $50 for a Sunday morning and that's almost exactly what it cost. The SpringHill Suites hotel has a free airport shuttle and they will also use the shuttle to take you anywhere within 5 miles of the hotel--restaurant, Walmart, drug store, etc.

2. Take a taxi from the airport to a hotel nearer Bayport. The hotels in Kemah are often recommended due to their proximity to the Kemah Boardwalk restaurants and attractions. I don't think any of the Kemah hotels offer a free shuttle (or any shuttle) to the cruiseport, so you'd have to take a taxi there. (There may be a hotel of which I am unaware that offers a shuttle , so you might need to reserach this a bit.)

Edited by GradUT

we're flying into Hobby sailing on NCL

We are doing the same in April. We plan to take a taxi to Seabrook (about $55 + tip) and have booked Best Western suites in Seabrook which has a free shuttle to the port.

Has no restaurant but my understanding is there is free shuttle to restaurants within ten miles, and there is Subway sandwiches nearby.

http://www.reservationcounter.com/hotels/show/311675/best-western-plus-seabrook-suites/?TID=sMKYwbe7W_dt%7Cpcrid%7C62676070639&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=best%20western%20seabrook%20tx&utm_campaign=Renamed%20Hotels%2011-2014&mm_campaign=61e23501c3a7666376c173fa44c75e69&keyword=best%20western%20seabrook%20tx&hotelid=311675&gclid=CKyTjPX00sMCFc9lfgod9WoAQw

Edited by NMLady

• 2 weeks later...
We are doing the same in April. We plan to take a taxi to Seabrook (about $55 + tip) and have booked Best Western suites in Seabrook which has a free shuttle to the port.

Has no restaurant but my understanding is there is free shuttle to restaurants within ten miles, and there is Subway sandwiches nearby.

http://www.reservationcounter.com/hotels/show/311675/best-western-plus-seabrook-suites/?TID=sMKYwbe7W_dt%7Cpcrid%7C62676070639&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=best%20western%20seabrook%20tx&utm_campaign=Renamed%20Hotels%2011-2014&mm_campaign=61e23501c3a7666376c173fa44c75e69&keyword=best%20western%20seabrook%20tx&hotelid=311675&gclid=CKyTjPX00sMCFc9lfgod9WoAQw

That website is a scam. If you booked through them, I would call the hotel to confirm your reservation and call your credit card company to see what the amount charged on your card was.

That website is a scam. If you booked through them, I would call the hotel to confirm your reservation and call your credit card company to see what the amount charged on your card was.

I don't know why you think that reservation site is a scam. We made our reservation through that site and the hotel has our reservation and no amount has been charged to our card since we booked, more than a month ago. No charge will be made until we check in according to the hotel, and according to the site as well.

I still would like to know why you think the website I provided is a scam.

I did my reservation through them more than a month ago. When I phoned the hotel directly last week they had my reservation and confirmed the rate.

I had not given any credit card number to that reservation link since they said I would be charged by the hotel.

So why do you say that website is a scam? Based on my experience it is a perfectly good way to reserve a room at Seabrook's Best Western Suites.

I clicked on the link, noticed the price was $20 less than I paid on Priceline a few months ago. Tried to book the hotel and they stated the hotel does not take my credit card (it was a mastercard). I thought that was very strange. I googled the company name and I read the claims by others that the website is actually a third party site, who books your hotel for you through Expedia and then adds a fee to the rate they tell you it is going to be.

I then called my credit card company to be sure that nothing was charged and they said that no charges went through and they didn't even try to charge the card.

I searched for current prices at the hotel and it is completely booked up, so I'm guessing that's why the charge wasn't put through.

Glad that it worked out for you and hope nothing goes wrong.

Edited by JennCandi

I clicked on the link, noticed the price was $20 less than I paid on Priceline a few months ago. Tried to book the hotel and they stated the hotel does not take my credit card (it was a mastercard). I thought that was very strange. I googled the company name and I read the claims by others that the website is actually a third party site, who books your hotel for you through Expedia and then adds a fee to the rate they tell you it is going to be.

I then called my credit card company to be sure that nothing was charged and they said that no charges went through and they didn't even try to charge the card.

I searched for current prices at the hotel and it is completely booked up, so I'm guessing that's why the charge wasn't put through.

Isn't expedia a third party site-- wouldn't anything other than Best Western be?

I was curious about this site-- it had the same price as the hotel itself-- and both beat expedia's price by $1.

I was not asked for a credit card by that site so there is no way they could charge more. They only do a reservation and the price is the very same as what was quoted to me by the hotel.

I think instead of accusing them of being a scam you should have simply said they are a third party website and that others have said they charge an additional fee.

I don't know how that could be done though since they do not ask for a credit card.

Edited by NMLady

For those of you who stayed at the Best Western Seabrook did you go to the Johnson Space Center or know anyone who did while staying at this hotel? We have stayed at Best Western Plus at other port cities and enjoyed the stay we may continue with what works. However since we are flying in and will not have a car shuttle/taxi service will be our mode of transportation.

Does anyone know which port Royal Caribbean sails from out of Galveston?

There is only one port in Galveston, and Royal Caribbean sails out of terminal 2 there. Perhaps you're thinking of Houston Bayport, but that's a different location and it's used by Princess and NCL.

I was not asked for a credit card by that site so there is no way they could charge more. They only do a reservation and the price is the very same as what was quoted to me by the hotel.

I think instead of accusing them of being a scam you should have simply said they are a third party website and that others have said they charge an additional fee.

I don't know how that could be done though since they do not ask for a credit card.

As I stated, they did ask me for a credit card and then indicated the hotel does not accept Mastercard. That is what made me check them out. I was just trying to protect others from having their credit card information stolen and I am glad that you did not.

As I stated, they did ask me for a credit card and then indicated the hotel does not accept Mastercard. That is what made me check them out. I was just trying to protect others from having their credit card information stolen and I am glad that you did not.

That is so strange you were asked for a credit card. Someone else recently made their reservation through the site I linked and they were not asked for a credit card. They were told wheat I'd also been told, which was that they'd be charged by the hotel.