Need help deciding if FOS is for us

We're thinking about booking the Western Caribbean cruise on Freedom in May. We already have 3 (costly) cruises booked for the year, and wanted to make this one as inexpensive as possible, so we would want an interior cabin. My question is: does Freedom have plenty of open deck space, where we can sit, relax, read, and watch the water (preferably in the shade)? We really would like to try a Royal Caribbean cruise, hoping this works out for us!

What are your favorite things to do in Labadee? We've been to the other ports, many times, and will probably snorkel. Is there good snorkeling around Labadee?

Thanks!

Kat

Do it. The Freedom is full of spots, inside and out, for relaxation. Sun and shade.

Labadee is ok for snorkeling. Not great. Also depends on whether there have been storms recently. (stirs up the sand and clouds the water) NOT a 'snorkeler's paradise' by any means.

But it's fabulous for beach-day relaxation. BEAUTIFUL. Check out youtube for videos of the zipline and coaster.

Deck 4 on the starboard side will be closest to the water ( smoking is on port side.)

Use Labadee as a beach day and you can venture out on your own to follow all the trails.

If you don't want to use water shoes ,I would strongly suggest you go to Columbus Cove ( all the way in the back on the right side ). Has a sandy beach and entrance into water, close access to the large pavilion for BBQ lunch, while listening to a steel drum combo playing island music.

Access to this beach is one of 3 ways:

Ferry from the pier (free)

Tram ride (free)

Walk along the shore line following the signage (about 15 minutes from entrance )

Snorkeling is terrific in Cozumel and good at Cayman Island if that is on your itinerary.

The Freedom offers tremendous value for you.

The Promenade means you can get a cup of coffee after midnight or before 6 a.m. without having to call room service.

Enjoy your cruise.

I think you should do the Enchantment! More pool deck per unit area than any other ship in the fleet. It's a beautiful ship, pool deck is spectacular at night, and much less money than the Freedom.

No doubt though, Freedom of the seas knocks the anchors off just about any other brand of ships! It is amazing, so if you really want a taste of the RCL ships with the bells and whistles and a lot more action, Freedom is the one

Edited by OTownNick

I think you should do the Enchantment! More pool deck per unit area than any other ship in the fleet. It's a beautiful ship, pool deck is spectacular at night, and much less money than the Freedom.

No doubt though, Freedom of the seas knocks the anchors off just about any other brand of ships! It is amazing, so if you really want a taste of the RCL ships with the bells and whistles and a lot more action, Freedom is the one

We really want a 7 day cruise, but not ruling out a Bahamas hop. And to be honest, all the bells and whistles are kind of wasted on us. We do like good entertainment (one of the reasons we don't want to go on Carnival Sunshine that week, even though it is cheaper), and love being on the sea, so being able to sit in the shade somewhere outside where we can watch the water is important. This really will be a "budget" cruise for us, so a balcony is not an option.

We also want to sail out of Port Canaveral, since it's very close to our home.

If you like to people watch, look into a PR cabin. It has a view of the promenade. You can see some pics from my last Freedom review in my signature. We loved Freedom! There are plenty of lounge chairs on deck 4. During the day, there are also may inside areas that are not crowded, like Boleros and Olive or Twist (not sure if this is still available in the day to hang out - at dry dock it was turned into a nightclub).

If you like to people watch, look into a PR cabin. It has a view of the promenade. You can see some pics from my last Freedom review in my signature. We loved Freedom! There are plenty of lounge chairs on deck 4. During the day, there are also may inside areas that are not crowded, like Boleros and Olive or Twist (not sure if this is still available in the day to hang out - at dry dock it was turned into a nightclub).

Thanks for the picture review! The ship looks amazing....I hope it works out that we can do this (it all depends on husband's job), we would love to try Royal Caribbean this year!

We live 25 minutes from Port Canaveral and sailed on the Freedom in November. I agree it's nice smiling out of there. We loved the Freedom and its class so much were sailing on the Indy out of Port Everglades next weekend. We always stay in inside rooms as we hardly use the room so always cheap. Plenty to do always somewhere to sit. Book it and enjoy! Feel free to ask any other questions if you have them.

We will be on FOS in June for the 3rd time. We LOVE this ship. While we have a balcony cabin, we still spend most of our time on a deck lounging in the sun and the shade. There are plenty of spots to get sun and shade on the ship. Our last two cruises were in the Med and port intensive. This cruise is strictly to have a relaxing, non-scheduled, non-rushing around week. We have two 21 year olds going with us who will be able to enjoy all the activities available, go to the beaches and enjoy the water sports while we can be completely non-active. The staff and crew on the Freedom are wonderful.

Thanks for the picture review! The ship looks amazing....I hope it works out that we can do this (it all depends on husband's job), we would love to try Royal Caribbean this year!

As you can see, we try different cruiselines too. So far, Royal is our favorite, but we always look for a good deal. Lately, the Royal prices have been a bit high, but last-minute bookings are often great! Hope it works out for you! Be sure to make a reservation for the ice show as soon as you book - that is the only show you need a reservation for. It is not to be missed! :)

We live 25 minutes from Port Canaveral and sailed on the Freedom in November. I agree it's nice smiling out of there. We loved the Freedom and its class so much were sailing on the Indy out of Port Everglades next weekend. We always stay in inside rooms as we hardly use the room so always cheap. Plenty to do always somewhere to sit. Book it and enjoy! Feel free to ask any other questions if you have them.

We're about 25-30 minutes away also! (Melbourne) Other than the Ice Show, what other shows are good?

We will be on FOS in June for the 3rd time. We LOVE this ship. While we have a balcony cabin, we still spend most of our time on a deck lounging in the sun and the shade. There are plenty of spots to get sun and shade on the ship. Our last two cruises were in the Med and port intensive. This cruise is strictly to have a relaxing, non-scheduled, non-rushing around week. We have two 21 year olds going with us who will be able to enjoy all the activities available, go to the beaches and enjoy the water sports while we can be completely non-active. The staff and crew on the Freedom are wonderful.

If we do this, it will be a relaxation cruise for us....the June cruise is with our daughter, son-in-law, and 2 grandchildren, so it will be go, go, go, constantly!

The July cruise is a 12 day Med cruise touring the Greek Islands and Turkey (port intensive), and Dec. is (partial transit) Panama Canal, and also has quite a few ports.

We're about 25-30 minutes away also! (Melbourne) Other than the Ice Show, what other shows are good?

Since you have never done Royal, I predict you will enjoy "Once upon a Time". I am not sure if the shows are the same as before drydock, but that show is excellent (depending some on the singers, but the props and choreography are well worth seeing at least once). I think you will find Royal's entertainment a step up from most cruiselines. :)

Since you have never done Royal, I predict you will enjoy "Once upon a Time". I am not sure if the shows are the same as before drydock, but that show is excellent (depending some on the singers, but the props and choreography are well worth seeing at least once). I think you will find Royal's entertainment a step up from most cruiselines. :)

Thanks! We don't like the shows on Carnival or Princess, Disney's shows were okay, actually kind of disappointing, but we love the shows on NCL! And we shall see about Holland America this summer, but I have a feeling we will be so tired at night we might not bother with shows.

Thanks! We don't like the shows on Carnival or Princess, Disney's shows were okay, actually kind of disappointing, but we love the shows on NCL! And we shall see about Holland America this summer, but I have a feeling we will be so tired at night we might not bother with shows.

Well, you are in for a treat! There is nothing like the ice shows! We typically enjoyed NCL shows more than Carnival, Costa or Celebrity, but Royal takes the cake on shows... especially Freedom. Shows are classy and professional.

However, the Headliner shows (like a guest performer) can be hit or miss. We have seen a pretty awful A Capella group on Indy, but then an excellent and hilarious illusionist on Enchantment. That was in 2005 and I have yet to find a comedian that had me in stitches the way that guy did! Wish I knew who he was! That was before my Cruise Critic days... and knowing the value of scanning a Cruise Compass or writing a trip report.

Edited by APDMOM
typo

I love the Freedom class ships. If I lived that close to Port Canaveral I'd be on this ship several times a year.

I love the Freedom class ships. If I lived that close to Port Canaveral I'd be on this ship several times a year.

Well, we do cruise several times a year, just never with Royal!:) We used to sail a lot with Carnival, but haven't been impressed with them lately, for a variety of reasons. We do love NCL, but have to go to Miami (which is only 3 hours). Besides, variety is the spice of life, right?

Besides, I've been wanting to go to Labadee...looks cool!