How are the Med seas late Oct and Early November? Are they calm?

stipmom

Would we get alot of wind?

Many times when we go back from Western Caribbean to Miami or Ft lauderdale last day at sea is windy and sitting on deck is uncomfortable. Wondering how our 5 days at sea on the late Oct cruise we have booked will be.Thanks

Several friends of mine did this itinerary several years ago in late October, and had not-so-good weather conditions, though your experience could be very different. In general, October is the beginning of the winter sailing season in the Mediterranean, which can mean days with high winds and rough waters. I suspect people prone to seasickness should be prepared with appropriate medication, just in case.

Edited by Langoustine

Oct/ nov is the start of the rainy season in the Med and as Langoustine says it could be windy too. Also remember that it gets dark early in these months which will cut sitting out time. That said, the Med is less crowded and sight seeing should be easier as the major sights are still open.

On the other hand, we sailed out of Rome one November 15 to the Eastern Mediterranean and had almost entirely calm seas on it only rained once and that was brief. You really cannot predict what the weather will be.

We have done all of our Med cruises in off season.

One we left Rome the day after Thanksgiving…… great weather ! No rain etc. It was a bit cool but I would rather put on a sweater/coat than sweat like you do in summer …..

We have done one early November - warmer and only one short shower in Rome

Our last one was late October/early Nov. - again perfect weather. Much warmer but not sure I would go swimming …….. the only problem we encountered was on our last day in Venice (to leave for the airport) we encountered the high tides they have that time of year……but luckily we were leaving :)

We have done one early May - great weather etc….

We have our next one booked four weeks from today…… we could get a shower or two but then again maybe not……

Weather in weather….its gonna do what it wants to do :D

You may get nice sunny days, but you may get lots of rain. It will be rather cool in the evening too. I don't think you will want to sit out on deck unless you are wrapped up warmly. Many places, like the Greek islands and holiday spots in Italy mainly close down during the winter. Cities will be a lot less crowded.

You may get nice sunny days, but you may get lots of rain. It will be rather cool in the evening too. I don't think you will want to sit out on deck unless you are wrapped up warmly. Many places, like the Greek islands and holiday spots in Italy mainly close down during the winter. Cities will be a lot less crowded.

Most places will still be open…… if the cruise ships come - they will be open :D

This is a cruise that spends three days in Israel so it is only done in Sept or Oct. Unfortunately we cannot take the Sept one due to work schedules.

Going with friends and if the sailing is generally unpleasant they will probably cancel

This is a cruise that spends three days in Israel so it is only done in Sept or Oct. Unfortunately we cannot take the Sept one due to work schedules.

Going with friends and if the sailing is generally unpleasant they will probably cancel

If your ports are more in the southern/eastern Med, your weather will likely be better than you would find in more northern parts of the Med -- no surprise as the Med is a large area and the weather will vary.

I have taken 7 cruises in the Med, 6 of which have been in the fall. Mostly the weather has been good and the seas fine. On two of the cruises we had some wind and rougher seas -- one time a couple of tender ports were canceled; another time the weather was rough enough around Rome that the port was closed and we had to miss it.

If your friends are expecting endless sunny days and smooth seas, no one can guarantee that on any cruise! However, I'd rather sail off-season in the Med ANY day than fight with the hordes of tourists who are there in the height of the summer months.

Edited by cruisemom42

Your guess is as good as ours....

We always go to the Med in November (normally late November), and we have had every possible weather in the last 10 years from 25°C and sunny, to 2°C and heavy rain.