Money?

Should I get pounds in the states at my bank or the airport or should I get them in London at the airport or a bank in London. I want to pay in cash, what will be the best rate?

When we will be in cities with foreign currencies, we get some at home so we don't have to hunt for an atm as soon as we arrive.( We like to pay cabs in cash to the hotel. )But we use atms for the rest of the visit. Call your bank re: rates, fees, etc.

Don't use the stands at the airport...you will not get good exchange rates.

Edited by eandj

... or the airport or should I get them in London at the airport or a bank in London.
If you're arriving at a London airport, there will be ATMs in the terminal.

When using an ATM in the UK, always check to make sure that the machine itself will not charge you fees for drawing GBP. This is always the case for ATMs operated by big banks, and is also true of all of the ATMs that I have seen at airports (most of which seem to be operated by Travelex).

We have a Fidelity ATM card which charges only 1% foreign transaction fee and reimburses ATM charges. This worked out to be less than what we paid our bank at home for cash and then we just get cash at the airport to get us started.

We pay for what we can with credit cards and have several which charge no transaction fee :)

Should I get pounds in the states at my bank or the airport or should I get them in London at the airport or a bank in London. I want to pay in cash, what will be the best rate?

• 4 weeks later...

I've read where the ATM machines require a chip in the card for them to work. Has anyone had any experience with this? We don't go until next April but I just don't know what to do about money. We will be taking several private tours and need lots of cash - Euros and British Pounds.

I've read where the ATM machines require a chip in the card for them to work. Has anyone had any experience with this? We don't go until next April but I just don't know what to do about money. We will be taking several private tours and need lots of cash - Euros and British Pounds.

All cards in the UK these days operate by chip and pin, so we have to tap in our pin number at the ATMs and in shops. if you go into a bank, they may be able to help you, or can you get a chip and pin card before you travel. It would make live easier over here.

When we will be in cities with foreign currencies, we get some at home so we don't have to hunt for an atm as soon as we arrive.( We like to pay cabs in cash to the hotel. )But we use atms for the rest of the visit. Call your bank re: rates, fees, etc.

Don't use the stands at the airport...you will not get good exchange rates.

We do the same thing. We're arriving at 10pm, and we don't want the hassle of finding an ATM at that hour. We need cash to pay for our car transfer, too, so we got some GBP at our bank. If we need more we'll use an ATM in London.

All cards in the UK these days operate by chip and pin, so we have to tap in our pin number at the ATMs and in shops. if you go into a bank, they may be able to help you, or can you get a chip and pin card before you travel. It would make live easier over here.

I think I'll call the bank tomorrow and see what they say.

We do the same thing. We're arriving at 10pm, and we don't want the hassle of finding an ATM at that hour. We need cash to pay for our car transfer, too, so we got some GBP at our bank. If we need more we'll use an ATM in London.

There are fee-free ATMs in the airport, and not difficult to find.

As for taxis, most take credit cards.

But I agree, it is good to have some cash for peace of mind.

I can go weeks here without spending any cash.

It's pretty easy to survive without cash in London - food, lodgings, admission charges, entertainment can all be put on plastic. Public transport tickets are usually purchased before boarding from machines (ie credit card) or you simply tap in on the bus.

You DON'T need a chip & pin debit or credit card to use in an ATM, it just needs to have a 4 digit pin. Chip & Pin is only really required at unmanned ticket machines and petrol pumps. All shops can and should still take the antiquated magnetic stripe cards.

Agree.... we have had no problems with our strip debit cards in atm machines anywhere in Europe including UK.

DH prefers using the machines attached to a bank if possible just in case we have trouble.

We use Capital One credit and debit cards as they don't charge a currency conversion fee. And use that day's current rate.

Individual banks might charge THEIR fee tho. Can't avoid that.

Not in London. In most black cabs, even if they have a card machine, it is usually "broken", and will only take cash.

Nothing to do with the fact that cash is less traceable than credit card payments...

Cabs levy a 12.5% surcharge for credit cards -just a heads up.

Cabs levy a 12.5% surcharge for credit cards -just a heads up.

For a black cab, the maximum surcharge is £1 or 10% (whichever is higher).

A passenger wishing to pay by credit card should indicate this at the start of the journey and be advised of any surcharges.