iFly... Who has done it?

Blondynka

On Quantum last feb, I never got around to trying it and I kind of regret it. Luckily I get another opportunity on Anthem this winter. I just have a question for anyone who has done it: do you feel like you are "flying" or "falling" in the simulator? I avoid amusement park rides for the reason that I hate the feeling of falling. Heights are totally cool though :)

Any feedback on your experience? Thank you!

The instructor is right there with you so I don't see anyone feeling like they are falling - and your face is just a couple of feet from the tube.. Now, depending on your skills you might not be flying either. All of the noise will make you forget about either feeling and you will only concentrate on your body and the signs from the instructor.

Edited by Biker19

The instructor is right there with you so I don't see anyone feeling like they are falling - and your face is just a couple of feet from the tube.. Now, depending on your skills you might not be flying either. All of the noise will make you forget about either feeling and you will only concentrate on your body and the signs from the instructor.

I did it on the Feb. Quantum sail. The instructor is right by you and guiding you if anything goes amiss. In my case, we were told relax and not to look down but to look straight away--guess what, I for a split second looked down and began tumbling--no problem, the instructor got a hold of me and handled me as though I was a toothpick. It's only 60 seconds, but what a thrill. The goggles left an imprint on my face for about 2.5 days.

Definitely like floating and not like falling--no dropping stomach feeling at all, and like the prior poster said there is an instructor there with you and if you think you might get nervous you can just work out a signal ahead of time and they would pull you out early (I had worked one out because of back problems so that he could get me out if I was having pain, but I didn't and really loved it). It was a lot of fun and definitely something to try. One think to know--you need either socks or enclosed shoes, they don't tell you that in your confirmation or in your calendar with the reservation.

It was great but. . .

They did not have a ship officer taking pictures when we went. All three of us in are party were scheduled at the same time, so no one was able to take pictures of us. We were told afterwards that we should have staggered our times to get pictures.

Also, I was above the weight limit, and I was still fine.

They did not have a ship officer taking pictures when we went. All three of us in are party were scheduled at the same time, so no one was able to take pictures of us.

Something must have been amiss since all sessions are usually photographed - not by a ship officer but the by the photo vendor (the photographer is right by the controls for the ride just outside the tube). The thing to do is make friends with one of the onlookers (there are always plenty there) and ask them to take pics of you. Many folks come there with friends/family who will not be in the ride and are there to take pics. Ask them to take pics for you.

It was great but. . .

They did not have a ship officer taking pictures when we went. All three of us in are party were scheduled at the same time, so no one was able to take pictures of us. We were told afterwards that we should have staggered our times to get pictures.

Also, I was above the weight limit, and I was still fine.

Ok that's good advice, thanks! My husband is not a fan of heights so he may want to sit it out, I'll park him right in front of the tube with a camera :)

How much upper body or core strength is required? Not having skydived before, I'm having a hard time picturing what muscles are used (and if it's something I should try).

It's not so much strength as coordination. All of the adjustments to your body to make it work right are minimal and don't require a lot of effort. Everyone should give it a try. You can't really get hurt and it will be a lifelong memory.

Ok that's good advice, thanks! My husband is not a fan of heights so he may want to sit it out, I'll park him right in front of the tube with a camera :)

Heights shouldn't be an issue for your DH. Even if they take you higher than the normal 4 or 5 feet from the 'ground' the highest the instructor will take you is about 12 feet in the air- and you can let them know about your fear and they won't take you higher than their eye-level. I am TERRIFIED of heights but loved the RipCord simulator, and I was lucky enough to be taken up higher in the simulator with my instructor, which I thought would scare the crap out of me, but it was just awesome. My husband has a bad back, which meant that he didn't do it since he was afraid of being laid-up the rest of our vacation, so he was taking pictures for me and others in my group. It was a highlight of my trip... Definitely do it!

Definitely like floating and not like falling--no dropping stomach feeling at all, and like the prior poster said there is an instructor there with you and if you think you might get nervous you can just work out a signal ahead of time and they would pull you out early (I had worked one out because of back problems so that he could get me out if I was having pain, but I didn't and really loved it). It was a lot of fun and definitely something to try. One think to know--you need either socks or enclosed shoes, they don't tell you that in your confirmation or in your calendar with the reservation.

Correct, also, no loose items such as chains, pocket change or paper money, etc. Our instructor was telling us that a Pax had paper money and somehow got loose and wound up floating in the silo.

Most of the Pax on the IFly did not go higher than the instructor chest as he wanted total control if anyone panicked. At end, you should have seen him go up & down & across in the silo. He even walked the sides up & down--He was really good and not large in statute, but could he control the floating bodies.

I loved it and did it a few times on Quantum! My 5 year old rocked it in the most surprising way! You don't feel like you are falling and the wind is strong. They said they could lift a car in there if they wanted to. RCI limits people based on weight for what I believe is liability. You don't need core muscles but to hold the correct form you kinda have to arch your back, maintain your legs slightly bent, arms out with hands in the right position, and chin kinda up. One minute is plenty! If you go more than once you have to repeat all the training and the weigh ins. I'll be back at it on Anthem! I hope my then 6 year old will too. The instructor was so awesome and when he saw her skill he took her up high in the tunnel and did some fun turns. We have it on video and it's amazing.

They also don't tell you to remove all your rings. I had to race back to the cabin to get them in the safe. They have cubbies to keep your things (this was on Quantum though), but they are open to the room, so certainly wouldn't put valuables in there.

It was a lot of fun, but goggles definitely made their mark for a long time after, and the air sucked my upper lip up so much, and the cheeks were flapping - no way I was buying the photo! LOL. They give you foam earplugs also, but one of them went flying away.

I don't think the instructor let go of me for even a nanosecond. They took me first in my group and I think it would have been better for me to at least watch a few people first since I never really got the hang of it. It wasn't scary at all. The scary part was waiting to go in, since you really don't know what's going to happen.

The scary part was waiting to go in, since you really don't know what's going to happen.

The training session tells you exactly what's going to happen, tough of course a video and a talk by the trainer is a bit different that the loud whoosh and real air blast inside the tube. One can also see everyone fly from outside the tube to know exactly what to expect.

Edited by Biker19

• 3 weeks later...

We did it 5 times on Anthem. The group were only weighed once as I suspect they thought one guy might be borderline so they weighed everybody. On the other goes nobody was weighed. They weighed us before the training video with our own clothing on.

Given we went on 5 times you may be able to guess that we loved it. Not like flying or falling, more like being pushed up by a wind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by kevinyork

I've actually gone on a diet to get down to the upper weight limit of 230lbs.

Do they weigh you with or without the equipment on? If so any idea how much the equipment weighs?

On the Feb. Quantum sail, they did not weigh any of us. There was a gentleman in our group, who was at least 6.4 and close or slightly more than the weight limit--instructor had no problem maneuvering him in the silo.

• 1 year later...
On the Feb. Quantum sail, they did not weigh any of us. There was a gentleman in our group, who was at least 6.4 and close or slightly more than the weight limit--instructor had no problem maneuvering him in the silo.

Ugh, I didn't even notice a weight limit.. I am 243 lbs now. (After l losing 245 lbs) I am 6ft tall. Hopefully they let me go.. I will be so disappointed

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app