Laundromats in the UK?

We are planning in the next couple of years a four week auto tour of England and Wales. We will probably not stay in a hotel or B&B for more than two nights.

We will need to do laundry. I have never seen laundromats in the UK. Of course, I was not looking for one in the past.

Laundromats in the USA are places with coin operated washing machines and dryers. Are such places available in the UK? If not, what are suggestions for clean clothes?

What coins do the machines use?

Laundromats in the USA are places with coin operated washing machines and dryers. Are such places available in the UK?
Yes, although you're more likely to see them called launderettes here. They're also more difficult to find than they used to be - see http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-10957093. You may want to ask your hosts wherever you're staying, as you really need local knowledge for this; I would not be surprised if a large proportion of launderettes would not show up on online searches.

We are planning in the next couple of years a four week auto tour of England and Wales. We will probably not stay in a hotel or B&B for more than two nights.

We will need to do laundry. I have never seen laundromats in the UK. Of course, I was not looking for one in the past.

Laundromats in the USA are places with coin operated washing machines and dryers. Are such places available in the UK? If not, what are suggestions for clean clothes?

What coins do the machines use?

I'd ask the operator of any B & B where you'll be staying if you'd be able to do a load or perhaps two of your own laundry using their equipment.

http://www.yell.com/s/launderettes-bristol.html

Just as an example - 33 launderettes in my city :)

Can't help you with costs I'm afraid - though I would imagine machines are coin operated rather than notes

Another thought is to consider using a big supermarket

...my local Morrisons has a laundry service for shirts - which I have used :D

Doing a search for - laundrette townname - seems to show them up. Half a dozen in my fairly small town, but they would not be obvious when walking around as they tend to be in housing estates and small local centres.

Hi,

if you do a search for "launderette and name of town" using Google maps, any launderettes should show up on the map. We were in Scotland in June (Kirkwall) and the launderette we found did the laundry for a fee, I think around 15BP, money well spent I felt. We dropped off the clothes, toured some sites and then came back and picked up our laundry.

Also, during my research, I did read about some B&B's doing laundry for people staying there. While on the Outer Hebrides we had our laundry done (washing only) and then hung it to dry while we were out site seeing for the day.

We found one about two blocks from our hotel near Marble Arch. £5 per wash, £3 per dryer, and £1 for detergent. Or £15 for a wash and fold. We're going to try the latter on Monday.

The hotel wants £4.50 to wash a pair of underwear!

Yes, I think most laundrettes that I know offer a 'Service Wash' where you take in your laundry and go back and collect it later when it is washed, dried and folded.

With the Service Wash you don't have to worry about getting enough coins - nor do you have to stay with your load, so it is well worth the cost.

Looked like these did.

Seriously, I'd do a service wash and pay with bills...

Fully agree with markeb. Another thing to remember is that the drying time can vary hugely and you could end up spending ages standing over the drier and feeding the machine with coins until your washing is dry.

Whereas with a service wash and a fixed price, you leave the assistant to worry about that whilst you get on with your holiday.

Edited by Scriv

The hotel wants £4.50 to wash a pair of underwear!

Thinking outside the box on this; like Bridget Jones, don't bring your best stuff and purchase new from a supermarket like Sainsbury's pack of five for £6.00.

Lol John